BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 08-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Do you know what “per capita” means?
Your link does not speak about road rage....it speaks about speed and congestion.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Your link does not speak about road rage....it speaks about speed and congestion.
whew...
Old 08-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post

There was something like 1300 shootings from 2014-2016. In 2010 (latest data I could find on quick search), there were around 75,000 shootings. So if shootings were the same 4 years later, 210,000 shootings. So give or take, probably around 0.6% of gun violence is road rage. Of course, since we ban gun violence research, I cant really confirm the accuracy. Of course, the states with the highest road rage shootings also have some of the most lenient concealed carry laws. At any rate, I have no idea why you've jumped on road rage of all things.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
There was something like 1300 shootings from 2014-2016. In 2010 (latest data I could find on quick search), there were around 75,000 shootings. So if shootings were the same 4 years later, 210,000 shootings. So give or take, probably around 0.6% of gun violence is road rage. Of course, since we ban gun violence research, I cant really confirm the accuracy. Of course, the states with the highest road rage shootings also have some of the most lenient concealed carry laws. At any rate, I have no idea why you've jumped on road rage of all things.
My point is Waiver's trying to pretend they don't have cars/congestion and the other factors that contribute to road rage in Australia or the UK. They have all of those things. What they don't have in Australia or the UK, per capita, is the availability of guns or the rate of gun violence.

So are you gonna really blame cars/congestion as the real contributing factor (present in all cases) or the guns (present only in the US case, where the statistics of gun violence have a dramatic spike)?

That's dumb as hell. Even for Dub Dub.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
My point is Waiver's trying to pretend they don't have cars/congestion and the other factors that contribute to road rage in Australia or the UK. They have all of those things. What they don't have in Australia or the UK, per capita, is the availability of guns or the rate of gun violence.

So are you gonna really blame cars/congestion as the real contributing factor (present in all cases) or the guns (present only in the US case, where the statistics of gun violence have a dramatic spike)?

That's dumb as hell. Even for Dub Dub.
Sure, but even if I accept they have no road rage, road rage accounts for less than 1% of shootings in the us, so I'm not sure how you can put blame on that of all things. And to really counter that, the states where you can carry guns with the least restrictions have the most road rage gun violence, which would again point to the guns.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 PM

The plain and certain FACT is that this country is AWASH in firearms. We take the "second amendment" to ridiculous lengths. Yeah, we outlawed "machine guns" in the 30's but the AR's and the other .223 cal multi fire guns are in fact "weapons of war" and should NOT be allowed to be "bared" or owned by 18, 19, 20 year olds of any age. Fuck the NRA. Most NRA card carriers agree that they don't hunt with AR's or similar weaponry. The NRA is all about the gun manufacturers and the $$--they could care less about the guy in rural Michigan that hunts pheasant with a 20 ga or keeps a handgun in his house or cabin.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:48 PM
BP Staff

The NRA may very well have their non-profit charter in New York revoked and their leadership thrown in jail, btw. On top of credible accusations the NRA laundered Russian money through its PAC in 2016, there’s a ton of accusations of self dealing and corruption by Wayne Lapierre and his wife, including blowing $200K on custom Italian suits and buying trips to the Caribbean the week after the Parkland shooting paid for by rubes who believed the NRA’s pitch that the Democrats were coming for their guns. They’ve also paid for European vacations that included $18K for a chauffeur on the trip, all paid for by NRA member dues.

Point being: the NY AG is in a unique position to make the NRA take a dirt nap the same way they did Trump’s bogus charity.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 PM
BP Staff

This is a good read, and generally in alignment with my thoughts about 2020:

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/17/thi...2020-forecast/
Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Good read. The gal has a track record and her analysis and conclusions make sense to me. Lets face it: unfortunately, well laid out plans and policies don't generally motivate turnout, to win you elections in this, toxic, atmosphere. Trump proved that anger and resentment are powerful motivators for turnout, particularly when HRC was the opponent. As has been said here before, you can be "right", and lose.

In the short term, I do not think any D candidate will be able to "bring us together" (Beto's mantra). Voter turnout is key. And unless the D's win those senate races in the 5 vulnerable states, having a D president will be wonderful in not having to listen to the orange idiot on a daily basis. But Moscow Mitch will still be able to thwart plans to undo and fix the multiple disasters wrought by the cheater-in-chief.

And off topic a little, but I just have to say these supposed savvy commentators on all the MSM platforms keep using the term "gun control". Good gawd. STOP IT!! Luntz was absolutely right that words and phrases matter! Once in a while you hear "gun safety" or "gun reform", but it's certainly only notable by virtue of the fact that it's used so infrequently. You want to rile up the gun nuts?? Say "control" and they envision the gubmit coming after their guns. I'm at a total loss to understand how such smart people can be so utterly stupid in their use of the language, particularly on this topic that's so emotionally charged.

Last edited by Puckhead; 08-18-2019 at 12:01 PM.