BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM
BP Staff

Default Bolts Finalize Deal with Gudlevskis

TAMPA BAY – The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed goaltender Kristers Gudlevskis (güd-LEV-skeez, KRISS-turs) to a three-year, two-way contract today, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced. Gudlevskis was recently drafted in the fifth round, 124th overall, of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in Newark, New Jersey.

Gudlevskis, 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, played in 56 games with HC Riga in Russia’s top junior league, the MHL, last season, posting a 27-18 record with a .927 save percentage and a 2.09 goals-against average with three shutouts. He ranked fourth in the MHL for save percentage among goaltenders with more than seven games played and sixth for goals-against average. Gudlevskis’ three shutouts were tied for 10th in the league. He also appeared in three playoff games. Gudlevskis also played in two games with the Riga Dinamo of the KHL last season, his debut in Europe’s top league, posting a 1-1 record with a .921 save percentage and 2.18 goals-against average.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...eal-gudlevskis
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM
BP Staff

If Riku Helenius doesn't stand on his head in camp, I suspect the Lightning will be looking for a European outpost to take him rather than relegating Gudlevskis to the ECHL. Just guessing.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Riku's on the way out. They just committed 3 years to Kristers and we know Vasilevsky is hot on the heels. I just don't see Yzerman paying Riku 650k to play in Syracuse. Likely gonna find a Euro home to pick up that contract.

I would also say that three year deal for Kristers spells the end of a Janus return to SYR.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Cooper's Law

Wouldn't Guds have to be signed to a 3-year deal because it's an ELC?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 PM
BP Staff

Yes, but Tim's point is that now they've made a commitment to have him in North America for 3 years and the assumption is they'll follow suit with Vasilevskiy next year. If Bishop and Lindback are locked in at the NHL level for 2-3 years, that leaves no spots for anyone else like Helenius. So, IMO, Helenius has to stand on his head in camp or he's done. And when I say stand on his head, I mean he needs to show better that Gudslevskis and CDJ and make a serious run at Lindback's #2 spot. He needs to present himself as the Lightning's clear #3, which will be tough considering you have a guy like BriseBois in the organization that thinks CDJ's farts smell like cinnamon and the scouts clearly favor Gudlevskis a lot or they wouldn't have drafted him and pushed Yzerman to sign him.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Yes, but Tim's point is that now they've made a commitment to have him in North America for 3 years and the assumption is they'll follow suit with Vasilevskiy next year. If Bishop and Lindback are locked in at the NHL level for 2-3 years, that leaves no spots for anyone else like Helenius. So, IMO, Helenius has to stand on his head in camp or he's done. And when I say stand on his head, I mean he needs to show better that Gudslevskis and CDJ and make a serious run at Lindback's #2 spot. He needs to present himself as the Lightning's clear #3, which will be tough considering you have a guy like BriseBois in the organization that thinks CDJ's farts smell like cinnamon and the scouts clearly favor Gudlevskis a lot or they wouldn't have drafted him and pushed Yzerman to sign him.
I did not think that deeply on it. Should make for an even more interesting camp!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
Wouldn't Guds have to be signed to a 3-year deal because it's an ELC?
No. He's a 21 year old Euro. They didn't have to sign him to three years I don't believe. And.... The press release didn't call it an entry-level contract. They called it a two-way contract, so I'm not sure it is an ELC.

EDIT: I was wrong. 21 is the upper limit on a 3 year ELC. Per the CBA:

Players younger than 25 as of Sept. 15 in the calendar year their first NHL contract is signed are subject to the terms of Article 9 of the CBA and must sign an entry-level contract (ELC). This means the amount of salary and team-paid performance bonuses is capped, depending on his draft year or the year he signs. The length of the ELC is also specified based on the player's age.
AGE LENGTH
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25+ No Restriction *
* A one-year entry-level restriction applies to drafted players from Europe aged 25 to 27.