BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Default Let the Rebuild Begin

Best record in regular season dont mean shit obviously. Let the rebuild begin. But where to start?

Defense is first spot based upon contracts expiring as well as overall play.

I say we need grit, size and heart. I felt that we shoulda went for Simmons, though I cant say with any certainty it would of helped. I also feel that our style of play is not conducive to winning in the playoffs. It's a completely different style that begs for size and responsibility. Freelancing and fancy play doesn't cut it in playoffs. Smart plays, responsible passing, determination and grit are my thoughts. We are just not built for playoff hockey. I feel the coaching is worthy of criticism, but we just dont have the right players to win a cup right now....my opinion. What's Yours?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Who's untouchable? Contracts will limit our moves, so who do you move?

Callahan GONE
Girardi GONE
Stralman GONE unless hes a 6-7 on cheap deal
Coburn Stays on one year deal
Killorn....I say he stays
Miller...I say GONE
Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Maybe

Bring up Foote and Katchouk give them the opportunity to play. Yes Girardi, Stralman, Cally, Miller should be gone and expose TJ so he can go to Spokane. JBB needs to do some dealing we need bigger bodies who have speed. Erne vanished in the playoffs Cirelli and Joseph played better than most.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Little early for this eh? Let the tempers and shock fade a bit in a couple weeks...
Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 PM
John Grahame's Designated Driver

It is early, but when is this not going to look like a horrible reflection on John Cooper? He had the best team in the league going into the playoffs against a team that struggled to make it and they got swept, weren't even in games 2 or 3.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeedub View Post
Little early for this eh? Let the tempers and shock fade a bit in a couple weeks...
I disagree. This feels exactly like the end of last season. They donít get a pass after shitting the bed two years in a row. The BJs played well but they are still the BJs.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:49 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
It is early, but when is this not going to look like a horrible reflection on John Cooper? He had the best team in the league going into the playoffs against a team that struggled to make it and they got swept, weren't even in games 2 or 3.
Yup.

Maybe going to Miami to celebrate winning nothing of consequence was a bad idea.

Just extended Cooper, so I doubt he's getting axed, but there have to be major changes made. You can't have a debacle of this magnitude without major repercussions. This team has been together for a long time, and has now proven, beyond a shadow of any and all doubt, that it does not have what it takes.

A solid 2/3 of this roster played like they don't like playing when the games actually count. Inexcusable.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
They weren't really in game 1 past the 1st period and you should never give up a 3 goal lead at home.

Like I said on Discord, hockey is about execution and mistakes. If you can execute your gameplan at a high level and reduce mistakes, you give yourself the best chance to win. The Bolts never even got to their gameplan for more than maybe 3 total periods in this series(that's generous). Vasy was sub, sub, sub par. Game one is a win with even Average Vasy goaltending. His tracking of pucks shot from the outside was atrocious.

The Jackets on the other hand, had a more simple gameplan to execute and they did it reliably and at a high level. They also got much better goaltending past the 1st period of game 1.

PK execution for the Lightning likely cost them this series. PP execution for the Jackets definitely helped them win the series.

So with the shocking loss of game 1 the mental strength of the Bolts was tested. They were found wanting. They didn't recover mentally and couldn't execute their gameplan ever. They made mistakes and were punished for them on the PK and at even strength. The series was relatively even for expected goal share and that's with the Bolts NOT getting to their normal high possession work rate. Missing top 2 defenders is rough, but the Jackets were down one of theirs as well.

It's hockey. If you're a fan of this sport, you're a bit crazy already. I mean seriously, there are two different rulesets for this sport. Regular season and post-season. That's utter horseshit for any other sport. Imagine if the strike zone in baseball were suddenly half a plate width wider by another foot taller in Baseball come post-season play. This will always benefit teams that are less reliant on speed/skill to win games.

The best thing about sports is, there's always next year. Don't know about you but I'm not a fairweather fan. I don't root for any other teams because I don't like any other teams. I'll be paying my NHL Gamecenter Live sub next season and watching the games while on Discord just like seasons in the past.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
They only struggled because they were a different team for 80% of the season and then were adapting to the trade deadline changes.

But they were 7-3 in their last 10.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
I disagree. This feels exactly like the end of last season. They donít get a pass after shitting the bed two years in a row. The BJs played well but they are still the BJs.
They made the ECF last year. Hardly shitting the bed.