BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

No, Long Term Injured Reserve is the third option you're missing. It's not quite the same as getting the cap space back, but does ultimately give us that flexibility when we use it properly. See Donnie's post for details, or this really complicated FAQ https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq
Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
This doesn’t eliminate the problem. Players on LTIR still count against the cap, you just get relief after the season begins.

I did a rather lengthy narrative on this earlier that I stole from others. I did this when we thought Callahan could play.

A player can be placed on the LTIR if the team's physician determines the player is unable to play for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games. The league can challenge that decision in which case the player is examined by a physician selected by the league and union.

A player on the LTIR stays on the cap. However, the team can exceed the cap by, approximately, the amount of the player's cap hit. Why is that important? Because it appears that you still have to account for the player when rosters are established So let's pretend that we want to subvert the cap by putting Callahan on LTIR. (As Hoek accurately stated, he can play). If the cap is $80 million, Callahan's $6 million cap hit is there at the beginning of the season. After rosters are initially established, you place him on LTIR and you could exceed the cap by that amount. So any benefit would not occur until after the rosters are established. It won't help the Lightning with their current cap situation.

Chicago traded Hossa to get cap space that they could use over the summer to put together their team. Phoenix didn't care because they need salary to meet the cap minimum (and they got other players that could help them). The Horton deal was different. Toronto traded Clarkson (an equally bad contract) to Columbus. Columbus got a player instead of an injured player for the same cap hit, and Toronto took on the same cap hit, but had the ability to add players during the season.
I'm just not sure about no cap relief. From what I read, you can use it in the offseason if you provide notice they will miss the first 10 games of the next season. If cally cant be medically cleared to play hockey again, I would think that qualifies, and we could have him there now. Why cant the nhl make anything easy?
Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 AM

It's cap relief with a caveat. First off, we are allowed to go 10% over the cap in the offseason, but have to be in compliance by October. That is fine, because Callahan's cap relief kicks in before then. If Callahan comes back, we suffer all kinds of overage penalties
Old 06-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Ok, thanks, Guess I missed the explanation. Are the rules different then before? The last player I remember having been an injury and cap problem was Oulette. Was it an issue because of uncertainty if he would play again? Or was it length of contract remaining?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Cooper's Law

It’s Matias Ohlund y’all are thinking of.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Reports are that Callahan knew in April he could not play again.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I'm just not sure about no cap relief. From what I read, you can use it in the offseason if you provide notice they will miss the first 10 games of the next season. If cally cant be medically cleared to play hockey again, I would think that qualifies, and we could have him there now. Why cant the nhl make anything easy?
It’s not just the league. The players didn’t want you forcing a player into retirement by placing them on IR.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
It's cap relief with a caveat. First off, we are allowed to go 10% over the cap in the offseason, but have to be in compliance by October. That is fine, because Callahan's cap relief kicks in before then. If Callahan comes back, we suffer all kinds of overage penalties
No. He has to be on the roster in October.

I believe the way around it is to start the season (on paper) with waiver eligible players in the minors. You set the initial roster as close to the cap as possible, place him on IR and then you get your relief and recall the players. It won’t give you the full relief, see the Hosea explanation above. If the Lightning submit their 23-man roster and it comes in at $85 million, they can place Callahan on LTIR the last day of training camp, but his $5.8 million cap hit will only cover the $3 million they’re over the NHL’s $82 million ceiling — leaving them wasting $2.8 million they could have used and left with no wiggle room when it comes to recalls and trades during the season.

Teams in this situation sometimes set the roster with players that won’t be on the team to get the maximum relief. You want to be as close to the cap as possible, because the salary relief is reduced by the amount you are under the cap when you put the player on IR.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-21-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
No. He has to be on the roster in October.

I believe the way around it is to start the season (on paper) with waiver eligible players in the minors. You set the initial roster as close to the cap as possible, place him on IR and then you get your relief and recall the players. It won’t give you the full relief, see the Hosea explanation above. If the Lightning submit their 23-man roster and it comes in at $85 million, they can place Callahan on LTIR the last day of training camp, but his $5.8 million cap hit will only cover the $3 million they’re over the NHL’s $82 million ceiling — leaving them wasting $2.8 million they could have used and left with no wiggle room when it comes to recalls and trades during the season.

Teams in this situation sometimes set the roster with players that won’t be on the team to get the maximum relief. You want to be as close to the cap as possible, because the salary relief is reduced by the amount you are under the cap when you put the player on IR.
Didn't say he didn't have to be. If Callahan comes back and plays in the first 10 hockey games we don't get the cap relief.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Actually, I said it wrong.

You want to be as close to the cap with eligible players. The amount that Callahan puts you over the cap (not under) is the amount of the relief.

Could the CBA make this any more confusing?

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-21-2019 at 01:25 PM.