BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
And there's so much construction work to do right now and not enough skilled subcontractors to do it that there's a lot of subs who don't give a crap if they do a half-assed job and burn a GC. There's so much work they just move on to another well they haven't poisoned already.
Hey pete, I assume you are speaking strictly about the Atlanta metro area; is this new home or commercial construction or both? What is the underlying driver of the construction demand? I know in St. Pete, seemingly all new construction is small commercial (multi commercial unit), and multi family units (condos downtown and townhouses in neighborhoods). Our demand is driven by consultants moving from major metro areas, real estate speculation (house prices keep going up!), and idle wealth moving in. There isn't, as far as I know, underlying business expansion, other than restaurant and service jobs.

Just curious.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Keefamania!

Default Pelosi responds to AOC slam, says caucus has her back for condemning chief of staff’s

Pelosi responds to AOC slam, says caucus has her back for condemning chief of staff’s ‘offensive’ tweet

'...Asked about her ongoing spat with the New York lawmaker, Pelosi acknowledged how she recently addressed -- “at the request of my members” -- an “offensive tweet that came out of one of the member's offices” that compared centrist Democrats to segregationists. That tweet was authored and then deleted by Ocasio-Cortez’ chief of staff Saikat Chakrabarti.

“Our members took offense at that,” Pelosi said, claiming her comments received a positive response. “I addressed that.”

Ocasio-Cortez has since accused Pelosi of being “disrespectful” to several “newly elected women of color.” Pelosi repeatedly told reporters Thursday she wasn’t going to say anything else on the subject, but said she supports diversity in the caucus. ...'

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pel...-ocasio-cortez
"...But the larger point I want to emphasize here is that there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even — you could even rig America’s elections, in part, because they are so decentralized and the numbers of votes involved.

There is no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there are instances in which that will happen this time.
..."

Partial text of President Obama's October 18, 2016 Speech

Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Hey pete, I assume you are speaking strictly about the Atlanta metro area; is this new home or commercial construction or both? What is the underlying driver of the construction demand? I know in St. Pete, seemingly all new construction is small commercial (multi commercial unit), and multi family units (condos downtown and townhouses in neighborhoods). Our demand is driven by consultants moving from major metro areas, real estate speculation (house prices keep going up!), and idle wealth moving in. There isn't, as far as I know, underlying business expansion, other than restaurant and service jobs.

Just curious.
As you said, at the end of the day most development is speculative based on perceived demand. That's why construction market bubbles are not uncommon. IMO, the typical trend is that, when the economy is good, there's a tendency to overbuild, especially on the commercial end.

The whole Tampa Bay area is a bizarre animal because the economy is so tied to tourism and health care. So, yes, it's not like any particular juggernaut of commerce is pushing economic growth in that metro region.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Keefamania!

Default CNN mired in a credibility crisis as ratings continue to collapse, experts say

CNN mired in a credibility crisis as ratings continue to collapse, experts say

'...CNN’s audience shriveled in the second quarter of 2019, averaging only 541,000 total viewers, less than half Fox News Channel’s 1.3 million average. But CNN struggled even more during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m. ET, finishing as the fifteenth most-watched network on basic cable behind networks such as TLC, Investigation Discovery and the Hallmark Channel. CNN averaged a dismal 761,000 primetime viewers while FNC averaged 2.4 million.

The Hill media guru Joe Concha told Fox News that CNN's freefall may not be slowing.

“The numbers warrant concern, yes. Q2 was a particularly news-rich quarter highlighted by the release of the Mueller report and all the aftermath and controversy following it, plus the launch of several high-profile Democratic candidacies including Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg to propel 2020 coverage into high gear,” Concha said. “It may only get worse in Q3 given the numbers we’re already seeing.”

CNN did not immediately respond when asked for comment.

“You know the answer,” a longtime CNN employee said when asked if staffers are panicked about the ratings decay before declining further comment. ...'

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ings-don-lemon
"...But the larger point I want to emphasize here is that there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even — you could even rig America’s elections, in part, because they are so decentralized and the numbers of votes involved.

There is no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there are instances in which that will happen this time.
..."

Old 07-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
As you said, at the end of the day most development is speculative based on perceived demand. That's why construction market bubbles are not uncommon. IMO, the typical trend is that, when the economy is good, there's a tendency to overbuild, especially on the commercial end.

The whole Tampa Bay area is a bizarre animal because the economy is so tied to tourism and health care. So, yes, it's not like any particular juggernaut of commerce is pushing economic growth in that metro region.
Gotcha. Not a lot of difference in credit and consumer spending then. Makes macro sense, I was just curious to know if there was a specific industry expansion driving it. I know the film industry has started making a lot of shows and movies in Atlanta for instance.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 PM
BP Staff

The movie industry's facilities are pretty utilitarian, though. Tyler Perry just repurposed a bunch of the existing military buildings at his studio at Fort Mac. Pinewood down in Fayetteville is just a set of (as I recall) 8 sound stages that are just big shells. And a lot of the shooting that goes on in Atlanta takes place in and around existing abandoned or underutilized buildings. For instance, the apartment building that was supposed to be in Oakland that was in Black Panther was the building that was literally across the street from my old office building that is, in reality, a senior living apartment complex. They used the money from renting the building out for shooting to completely reskin the building and re-do all the windows, though.

Atlanta's got a lot more than just that going on, though. You've got UPS, Coca-Cola, NCR, Delta and a ton of other big corporation HQ'ed here. Tampa Bay just doesn't have the same slate of corporate heavyweights.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Growth here is both big company and small company + retiree driven. Inside and east of town are Tesla, Google, Microsoft and Switch. And, there is IT/tech biz coming here from Cal. Reno also has a sizeable pop of Cal retirees (which live in the Del Webb I'm at) that made big home $$ at sale, and moved to Nevada-a low/no tax state. I'm only 7 mi from the Cal state line and the Sierras. Best of many worlds for those "Bay Area" folks. Moderate and “affordable” housing is a BIG problem...rents are thru the roof.

Last edited by Puckhead; 07-11-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Atlanta's got a lot more than just that going on, though. You've got UPS, Coca-Cola, NCR, Delta and a ton of other big corporation HQ'ed here. Tampa Bay just doesn't have the same slate of corporate heavyweights.
Oh, no doubt. I was just curious to know if there was a corporate relocation I hadn't heard about, or a startup that went big or something. Atlanta has a bunch of mature companies; it isn't like Home Depot or CNN is going to get a third bigger all of a sudden, driving the need for a bunch of new housing, etc.

Interesting to hear about that about the film industry.

TB wants to play in the big metro area sandbox, but is hamstrung by shitty schools, shitty infrastructure (lack of viable public transport) and a populace still clinging to the idea that no state income tax is some kind of panacea. They won't be able to get big corps to relocate until the schools and transportation infrastructure are fixed. Hertz picked Ft. Myers over Tampa when they relocated, in part for those reasons (transportation infrastructure). To tie everything back to subjects from this board, the Rays eventual relocation is only going to be the latest symptom of this area's short sightedness, my opinion not-withstanding, I have precious little interest in the Rays, but understand it's psychological and ability to market the area.

Also interesting to hear that about Reno, Puckhead. From my understanding, affordable housing is an issue in a lot of large and mid-sized markets.

Last edited by dannybolt; 07-12-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Cooper's Law

School grades were just announced yesterday. Lot of improvement across the state.

Infrastructure is just one government issue that won’t get significantly better without visionary, cooperative leadership on both sides of the Bay. We’ve always suffered from Hillsborough vs. Pinellas, Tampa vs. St. Petersburg. It’s a shame. Look at cities like Minneapolis and St. Paul or Denver, where multiple counties contribute to stadium financing.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Keefamania!

Default Wall Street rally continues with new records

Wall Street rally continues with new records

We often hear from the peanut gallery with their negative takes when there is a drop in the market...funny how we never hear a peep when things are good...

'...The Dow Jones Industrial Average, closed above 27,000 for the first time on Thursday. ...

Volkswagen will invest $2.6 billion in Ford Motor Co.'s Opens a New Window. autonomous vehicle partner, the companies announced on Friday, as the two firms deepen their alliance to develop electric and self-driving vehicles Opens a New Window. .The funding will value Argo AI at more than $7 billion and give Ford and Volkswagen combined majority control of the company. ...'

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...t-july-12-2019

..."