BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is online now
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,616
Default

We're so fucked. Didn't get EK65 or Pavelski. Probably won't even make the playoffs now. /s
__________________
Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Jester47's Avatar
Jester47 Jester47 is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,349
Send a message via AIM to Jester47
Default

Speaking only for myself, I would have been fine if they had not signed anyone and promoted from with-in. It's the guys they are signing that are head scratchers...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:34 PM
BurnTHalO's Avatar
BurnTHalO BurnTHalO is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marietta, OH
Posts: 7,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Canes owner has money to piss away on some goofy alternative football league but not on Aho?
The guy is crazy, not sure at all.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Iceman Iceman is offline
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Probably more in awe of the fact we return the same team that won 62 games last year, but you know, whatever floats your boat I guess. I honestly don't know what you expected to happen in Free Agency. They don't have cap space unless they make some major moves, and the team has said all along they weren't going to overreact to the knock out (despite the fact that yes, I would have had a larger reaction). Once the Stars sent stupid money to Pavelski (which I fully expected the whole time), where did they have to move to? Put another way, who did we not get that you put the full blame on the organization for?
Trade Gourde (-5.1 M), don't sign Schenn (-.7) or a 3rd goalie (-1.2), sign Pavelski to the "crazy money" (+7) and you are in exactly the same salary cap situation. The window is now, and based on what we have done so far we are worse than we were last year.

And if you can't trade Gourde then still don't sign Schenn or the 3rd goalie (unless you have a plan in place to flip Domingue) and then at least you have extra flexibility at the trade deadline.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:43 PM
BurnTHalO's Avatar
BurnTHalO BurnTHalO is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marietta, OH
Posts: 7,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
Speaking only for myself, I would have been fine if they had not signed anyone and promoted from with-in. It's the guys they are signing that are head scratchers...
The goalie signing is really strange if there isn't a deal ready to go. But Schenn I get. Very low risk in him. And it lets you keep Foote playing big minutes in the minors while Rutta/Schenn switch out 10 minute a night roles (hopefully). Schenn is certainly slow, but 105 hits in 26 games, and 39 blocked shots. That's a 0.25 blocked shots per game than Girardi last year.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:55 PM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is online now
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Trade Gourde (-5.1 M), don't sign Schenn (-.7) or a 3rd goalie (-1.2), sign Pavelski to the "crazy money" (+7) and you are in exactly the same salary cap situation. The window is now, and based on what we have done so far we are worse than we were last year.

And if you can't trade Gourde then still don't sign Schenn or the 3rd goalie (unless you have a plan in place to flip Domingue) and then at least you have extra flexibility at the trade deadline.
Trade Gourde before his NTC kicks in, less than a season after giving it to him and no agent takes that carrot seriously going forward. Maybe that's worth it. But it goes against the world class organization culture that Vinik et al have spent the better part of a decade building.
__________________
Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Iceman Iceman is offline
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Trade Gourde before his NTC kicks in, less than a season after giving it to him and no agent takes that carrot seriously going forward. Maybe that's worth it. But it goes against the world class organization culture that Vinik et al have spent the better part of a decade building.
True, but you could make a similar argument about signing a 3rd goalie and hanging out to dry a guy that did a great job for you the previous season and was well liked among other players (at least it seemed that way to me) and the fans.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:31 PM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is online now
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
True, but you could make a similar argument about signing a 3rd goalie and hanging out to dry a guy that did a great job for you the previous season and was well liked among other players (at least it seemed that way to me) and the fans.
You could try to make that argument, but it wouldn't really pass muster. Signing a 3rd goalie with the expressed goal of trading your current backup while stating that he will want more playing time that you won't be able to give him is light years away from effectively reneging on a NTC right before it kicks in. It's not even in the same ballpark.
__________________
Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 16,806
Default

If we find Louis a better playing situation we are actually doing him a favor so quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:11 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,296
Default

Big move by Toronto and Colorado

Barrie and Kerfoot for Kadri with other pieces moving on both sides.
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.