BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 AM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Default Thoughts on the "new" Lightning Leadership

JBB and 3 Assistant GM's....

Haven't heard much chatter on this, but overall, we have to be pleased that they retained Al Murray. I like Stacey Roast for the most part, buy dont know enough to honestly say. Pushor, no clue..

Overall, I would think that now that SFY is gone, the "new" leadership wants to put their own stamp on the team, albeit that they are going to be limited in some of the moves they make, but its human nature to make changes in philosophy and personnel to make it "your team"

I am just wondering if the new brass wants to do it "their" way and show that they are not just following SY's format...not to mention that they kind of get the benefit of the doubt as the FLAME OUT we all just witnessed in general, can be tied to Yzerman more the to the new leadership.

I think they go as bold as they possibly can and make a few moves that give the current make up of the team a little shake up...some they have to for cap purposes, but some to put their own stamp on the team...

Should be interesting..
Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

JBB's main moves last season:
Banish Dotchin
Banish AHL All Star Ingram
Trade top 10 pick Slater AND 5th rounder for AHL Dmen Rutta
Couldn't pull trigger @ trade deadline

Jury is still out and the summer is long for the new GM
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM
BP Staff

I feel like the guys hands are cuffed by the structure of the roster and the deals he inherited. His biggest and best chance to put his stamp on this was to change the coach, but he quickly decided not to do so. Any other move comes with a lot of entanglements and headaches that make it impractical.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty View Post
Banish Dotchin

But - Dotchin sucked out loud with his new team so, are you saying it was a bad thing?!?!?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Banish Dotchin

Ingram issues aside (does anyone have insight as to WTF is happening there?), I can't say that any of those moves were bad at the time. Dotchin and Koekkoek haven't exactly set the world alight in their subsequent teams, and Rutta has been a solid depth right side Defenseman, which we sorely needed.

Maybe picking someone up at the deadline would have been a good idea, but at the time the Bolts looked unstoppable.

Like Pete said, changing the coaching staff post-debacle was his first chance to really put his stamp on the organization; but I think he comes from the Yzerman school, deliberative, play the long game type of asset manager. So not totally surprised there.

Management of the cap this summer is going to go a long way towards showing us what JBB is capable of, and what he is about. Is he is Feaster-type sentimentalist? Is he a stone-cold mofo like Yzerman? Something else entirely?

I'm interested to see how he handles the Point/Vasi extensions, the dead money NTCs, and manages the young players players pushing to make the roster and the veterans who have shown little reason to keep them. I could easily see him re-making up to a 1/3 of the roster, just as easily as I could see him making one or two small moves. Time will tell.

Re-signing Rutta to a small deal was a very good first step IMO. Not earth-shattering, but necessary, despite Rutta's less than stellar playoffs and late season performance with Sergachev.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Ingram & Dotchin was more of a comment on JBB making players seemingly disappear.

Actually surprised we didnt hear more about Jake being outright cut... or was he bought out?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Ingram & Dotchin was more of a comment on JBB making players seemingly disappear.

Actually surprised we didnt hear more about Jake being outright cut... or was he bought out?
Cut.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:49 AM

Well, I feel like we are starting to see a little bit of what JBB brings to the table.

The Ingram deal seemed kinda weak to me, but I guess they just wanted him outta here, so whatever.

The Miller trade looks about as solid as you could hope for and if Yzerman had pulled it off, we would be highlighting his "genius" I am sure. The deal has extremely high potential and is one we need to remember as it might be 4+ years before we reap the benefit.

This years draft class...I feel its Murray making the decisions for the most part and it's very hard to question or criticize him based on his history, but that being said, it looked like they had an opportunity to slide down and still get Foote in round 2, but that's assuming that anyone else was willing, and maybe they felt it was too far to drop down and just said, ah the hell with it.

It's still early to judge JBB, but all and all I feel we are going to be fine. Another heist like the Miller trade and I will be all in on the new regime.

Last edited by Kizman; 06-23-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Feel BriseBois had lots of input during Yzerman tenure.