BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 AM
XO Sniper

That is a very fascinating article. I can see the point they were trying to make just did so poorly. Think of it like when you buy a new car or move to another state within, in Florida's case 6 months, of buying a new car. You get taxed on the purchase of the vehicle. The tax, I believe, is on the purchase price minus trade in. So if you swap items only without an exchange of money you should pay taxes on the value of the "purchase" the problem with sports teams is you don't purchase a player you pay a player.

Another way to look at this is think comic books. I trade you two recent Batman comics for one recent Superman comic no big deal right. But if go to a comic con and trade with a dealer a first appearance of Joker and Mr. Freeze for a first appearance of Lex Luther that is an exchange of comics, depending on condition (like a pro athlete), of thousands of dollars. The government wants it cut on the second trade but doesn't care about the first. The question though becomes who sets the value. The government, in sports the league, in comics DC, Marvel, Dark Horse? Who?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

It was 5:00 am when I posted this and meant to put it in the NHL News thread, not here.

Sotnos, if you get a chance can you move this?
Magic Numbers (after 3/22) - playoffs-clinched, 3rd-clinched, 2nd-6, Conference-15, Presidents-19
Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Crispy's Notepad

This is one reason why hockey is the greatest game on earth.

Got to have pic taken with one of my daughters with the cup in 04-05. It is an awesome experience, one I wish I could have experienced as a player.

Last edited by gphockey; 03-23-2018 at 09:12 AM.