BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 AM
Dirt Liner

This Really. Pisses. Me. Off.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 AM
Cooper's Law

Did my taxes. Getting back $1400. About $100 less back than last year. Was on tap to get over $4,000 back until I added the numbers for some stock sales I did last year to keep food on the table. You get double-dipped on taxes when you sell investments. You got taxed when you earn the money used to buy them and then taxed again when you sell them. Sold $12,000, original cost $6,000. Would have gotten $2,000 back but we were penalized $600 because the $12,000 investment sale went straight to our AGI which seems like another double-dip because only $6,000 of it was profit.

Where's my $4,000 Trump? It wasn't in my withholding on my paychecks since I only pay the absolute minimum, close to $0, in federal taxes on my income every year since I always get it all back. Nope, rich people and corporations run by rich people got the $4,000.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
Did my taxes. Getting back $1400. About $100 less back than last year. Was on tap to get over $4,000 back until I added the numbers for some stock sales I did last year to keep food on the table. You get double-dipped on taxes when you sell investments. You got taxed when you earn the money used to buy them and then taxed again when you sell them. Sold $12,000, original cost $6,000. Would have gotten $2,000 back but we were penalized $600 because the $12,000 investment sale went straight to our AGI which seems like another double-dip because only $6,000 of it was profit.

Where's my $4,000 Trump? It wasn't in my withholding on my paychecks since I only pay the absolute minimum, close to $0, in federal taxes on my income every year since I always get it all back. Nope, rich people and corporations run by rich people got the $4,000.
If I'm not mistaken, you only get taxed on the profits you make with stock. You can write off losses. This would be good information for me to know before I sell my stock this fall if I am wrong.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
This Really. Pisses. Me. Off.
Stupidity and endangering others is classic America.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you only get taxed on the profits you make with stock. You can write off losses. This would be good information for me to know before I sell my stock this fall if I am wrong.
That's what I thought too but the $12,000 went right to my AGI, the original cost of those $12,000 in stocks cost me $6,000. Maybe if you itemize? I don't have enough deductions to make itemizing worth it though.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
That's what I thought too but the $12,000 went right to my AGI, the original cost of those $12,000 in stocks cost me $6,000. Maybe if you itemize? I don't have enough deductions to make itemizing worth it though.
Sounds like you made an error somewhere. Shouldn’t happen
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I watch a Sarasota deputy drive and exit at the Riverview exit most game nights (driving well over 90 knowing that no one will ever give them a ticket). I’ve never seen a Sarasota deputy stop for a stranded motorist on the side of the road in Hillsborough County. You know that isn’t happening. It’s just extra cash in a policeman’s pocket.

If Sarasota is like most agencies in the Tampa Bay Area once you leave your jurisdiction you are charged for every mile you drive and the price Hillsborough and Tampa charge is not cheap. That is why you see their marked vehicles at the nearest fire station in Pasco or at the first toll area along the Suncoast. This is why those that live outside of their jurisdiction do not declare the use of the car as income.

And here is a novel idea for you Donnie......when you see something like that call and complain. I sure do, and have. If you don't want to call you are part of the problem.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Yeah, it'd be a damned shame if we were running $1T deficits for some common good like infrastructure or social safety nets as opposed to making it easier for Jerry Jones to buy a new yacht.
And where were you when in the President Obama administration they printed money like candy.

Yes, 1 trillion is terrible. But how come you never, ever, call out your wing of the party?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
And where were you when in the President Obama administration they printed money like candy.

Yes, 1 trillion is terrible. But how come you never, ever, call out your wing of the party?
Another lob at the net from WW.

He said "it'd be a damned shame if we were running $1T deficits for some common good like infrastructure or social safety nets as opposed to making it easier for Jerry Jones to buy a new yacht."

Obama's deficits were for.....infrastructure and social safely nets to get us out of the Bush recession. Then So why would he call out Obama? He increased deficits for the concepts that he (and leading economists) find acceptable.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
If Sarasota is like most agencies in the Tampa Bay Area once you leave your jurisdiction you are charged for every mile you drive and the price Hillsborough and Tampa charge is not cheap. That is why you see their marked vehicles at the nearest fire station in Pasco or at the first toll area along the Suncoast. This is why those that live outside of their jurisdiction do not declare the use of the car as income.

And here is a novel idea for you Donnie......when you see something like that call and complain. I sure do, and have. If you don't want to call you are part of the problem.
I personally told the Chief at our weekly meeting. But thanks for the suggestion.