BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16591  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 AM
jdhebner's Avatar
jdhebner jdhebner is online now
Dirt Liner
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 965
Default

This Really. Pisses. Me. Off.
__________________
"To Serve Man" It's a Cookbook!
Reply With Quote
  #16592  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 AM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 4,725
Default

Did my taxes. Getting back $1400. About $100 less back than last year. Was on tap to get over $4,000 back until I added the numbers for some stock sales I did last year to keep food on the table. You get double-dipped on taxes when you sell investments. You got taxed when you earn the money used to buy them and then taxed again when you sell them. Sold $12,000, original cost $6,000. Would have gotten $2,000 back but we were penalized $600 because the $12,000 investment sale went straight to our AGI which seems like another double-dip because only $6,000 of it was profit.

Where's my $4,000 Trump? It wasn't in my withholding on my paychecks since I only pay the absolute minimum, close to $0, in federal taxes on my income every year since I always get it all back. Nope, rich people and corporations run by rich people got the $4,000.
Reply With Quote
  #16593  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 AM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
Did my taxes. Getting back $1400. About $100 less back than last year. Was on tap to get over $4,000 back until I added the numbers for some stock sales I did last year to keep food on the table. You get double-dipped on taxes when you sell investments. You got taxed when you earn the money used to buy them and then taxed again when you sell them. Sold $12,000, original cost $6,000. Would have gotten $2,000 back but we were penalized $600 because the $12,000 investment sale went straight to our AGI which seems like another double-dip because only $6,000 of it was profit.

Where's my $4,000 Trump? It wasn't in my withholding on my paychecks since I only pay the absolute minimum, close to $0, in federal taxes on my income every year since I always get it all back. Nope, rich people and corporations run by rich people got the $4,000.
If I'm not mistaken, you only get taxed on the profits you make with stock. You can write off losses. This would be good information for me to know before I sell my stock this fall if I am wrong.
__________________
Magic # to clinch the playoffs 17
Reply With Quote
  #16594  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Flycoon Flycoon is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
This Really. Pisses. Me. Off.
Stupidity and endangering others is classic America.
Reply With Quote
  #16595  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 4,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you only get taxed on the profits you make with stock. You can write off losses. This would be good information for me to know before I sell my stock this fall if I am wrong.
That's what I thought too but the $12,000 went right to my AGI, the original cost of those $12,000 in stocks cost me $6,000. Maybe if you itemize? I don't have enough deductions to make itemizing worth it though.
Reply With Quote
  #16596  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Flycoon Flycoon is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
That's what I thought too but the $12,000 went right to my AGI, the original cost of those $12,000 in stocks cost me $6,000. Maybe if you itemize? I don't have enough deductions to make itemizing worth it though.
Sounds like you made an error somewhere. Shouldn’t happen
Reply With Quote
  #16597  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM
WaiverWire's Avatar
WaiverWire WaiverWire is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I watch a Sarasota deputy drive and exit at the Riverview exit most game nights (driving well over 90 knowing that no one will ever give them a ticket). I’ve never seen a Sarasota deputy stop for a stranded motorist on the side of the road in Hillsborough County. You know that isn’t happening. It’s just extra cash in a policeman’s pocket.

If Sarasota is like most agencies in the Tampa Bay Area once you leave your jurisdiction you are charged for every mile you drive and the price Hillsborough and Tampa charge is not cheap. That is why you see their marked vehicles at the nearest fire station in Pasco or at the first toll area along the Suncoast. This is why those that live outside of their jurisdiction do not declare the use of the car as income.


And here is a novel idea for you Donnie......when you see something like that call and complain. I sure do, and have. If you don't want to call you are part of the problem.
__________________
Funny how quick some have forgotten these words from a very famous President....“Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country” JFK 01/20/1961
Reply With Quote
  #16598  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM
WaiverWire's Avatar
WaiverWire WaiverWire is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Yeah, it'd be a damned shame if we were running $1T deficits for some common good like infrastructure or social safety nets as opposed to making it easier for Jerry Jones to buy a new yacht.
And where were you when in the President Obama administration they printed money like candy.

Yes, 1 trillion is terrible. But how come you never, ever, call out your wing of the party?
__________________
Funny how quick some have forgotten these words from a very famous President....“Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country” JFK 01/20/1961
Reply With Quote
  #16599  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 8,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
And where were you when in the President Obama administration they printed money like candy.

Yes, 1 trillion is terrible. But how come you never, ever, call out your wing of the party?
Another lob at the net from WW.

He said "it'd be a damned shame if we were running $1T deficits for some common good like infrastructure or social safety nets as opposed to making it easier for Jerry Jones to buy a new yacht."

Obama's deficits were for.....infrastructure and social safely nets to get us out of the Bush recession. Then So why would he call out Obama? He increased deficits for the concepts that he (and leading economists) find acceptable.
__________________
Magic Numbers after 2/21 games - playoffs - 15 (Carolina), 1st round home ice advantage - 23 (Toronto), Conference - 25 (Boston), Division - 25 (Boston), Presidents - 28 (Calgary)
Reply With Quote
  #16600  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 8,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
If Sarasota is like most agencies in the Tampa Bay Area once you leave your jurisdiction you are charged for every mile you drive and the price Hillsborough and Tampa charge is not cheap. That is why you see their marked vehicles at the nearest fire station in Pasco or at the first toll area along the Suncoast. This is why those that live outside of their jurisdiction do not declare the use of the car as income.


And here is a novel idea for you Donnie......when you see something like that call and complain. I sure do, and have. If you don't want to call you are part of the problem.
I personally told the Chief at our weekly meeting. But thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
Magic Numbers after 2/21 games - playoffs - 15 (Carolina), 1st round home ice advantage - 23 (Toronto), Conference - 25 (Boston), Division - 25 (Boston), Presidents - 28 (Calgary)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.