BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Cooper's Law

Schmitzy has spent too much time in rural central Florida. The Obama stuff must’ve rubbed off on him.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Republican State Sen. John McColliser

“The Republican Party is enabling white supremacy in our country,” he wrote. “We have a Republican president who continually stokes racist fears in his base. He calls certain countries ‘sh*tholes,’ tells women of color to ‘go back’ to where they came from and lies more than he tells the truth...When the history books are written, I refuse to be someone who said nothing,”

The party’s response? Did they denounce racism? No. Did they denounce white supremacists? Nope.

They told him to leave the Nazi, err, Republican Party.

That’s your boys

Last edited by Donnie D; 08-07-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You will never be able to get the votes to outlaw guns.

The Federal level can try, but the best way forward is through the states.

But if at the Federal level you can ban military style weapons fine. But what needs to be banned are the large magazines and ammo such as armor piercing rounds and exploding rounds. The public also has not business having hollow jacketed or hydro shock rounds.

And I will repeat this again. If you are going to look at guns you will be doing a disservice if you fail to look at why someone would do this. The guns don't motivate them, but something is pushing these people towards these acts.

Last edited by WaiverWire; 08-07-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:33 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
You will never be able to get the votes to outlaw guns.

The Federal level can try, but the best way forward is through the states.
State legislators are far cheaper for the NRA to pay off per head than US Senators.

Quote:
But if at the Federal level you can ban military style weapons fine. But what needs to be banned are the large magazines and ammo such as armor piercing rounds and exploding rounds. The public also has not business having hollow jacketed or hydro shock rounds.
Exactly right. Do all those things AND require the same level of background checks most developed nations require as a bare minimum.

Quote:
And I will repeat this again. If you are going to look at guns you will be doing a disservice if you fail to look at why someone would do this. The guns don't motivate them, but something is pushing these people towards these acts.
Riddle me this Waiver, why is the rate of gun violence in the UK and Australia so much lower than the United States? Is it because they're that much more healthy, mentally? Or is it the fact that there's twice as many guns, per capita, in the United States than the next closest country (which is f'ing Yemen)?

Quote:
The US has one of the highest rates of death by firearm in the developed world, according to World Health Organization data.

Our calculations based on OECD data from 2010 show that Americans are 51 times more likely to be killed by gunfire than people in the United Kingdom.
Most American gun owners (two-thirds) say a major reason they own a gun is for their personal protection, according to the Pew study. However, the majority of America's firearm-related deaths are attributed to self-harm.

Gun-related suicides are eight times higher in the US than in other high-income nations.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/ameri...ics/index.html

And, honest to God, Waiver, if you tell me it's because you really think people in the UK have that much better mental health, shouldn't you be riding that universal health care train hard?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Cooper's Law

Gee, I wonder what or who is pushing these people, these overwhelmingly right wing nut jobs, to murder masses of people?? How about your Republican overlord, the inciter-in-chief? Or do you want to defend his attacks as freedom of speech (even when it’s clearly hate speech)? Fuck your fake concern.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
The guns don't motivate them, but something is pushing these people towards these acts.
I wonder who that could be. Probably not the guy saying we are under attack by an invasion of rapists and murderers.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

The level of obliviousness and inability to connect dots that have barely an atom's width in separation boggles the mind.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I wonder who that could be. Probably not the guy saying we are under attack by an invasion of rapists and murderers.
You didn’t mention the ultimate, hair on fire utterance, “infestation”. The provocateur-in-chief scraped the bottom of the sewage tank when he trotted that one out.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
You didn’t mention the ultimate, hair on fire utterance, “infestation”. The provocateur-in-chief scraped the bottom of the sewage tank when he trotted that one out.
That's because we're way past needing to interpret adjectives and pronouns. We've regressed from code words to phrases like "all Haitians have AIDS" and "Why do we need people from shithole countries". He's tossed away the veil.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:22 PM
BP Staff

Correct. Reagan and W Bush used to dog whistle in polite company. Republicans don't even bother to dog whistle anymore.