BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You want a scary Elon Musk idea?

Tesla is loading their self-driving software on all leased Model 3's in the US. The software is supposed to go 100% live sometime next year. When it does, Tesla's idea is that, once leaseholders park their car at night, the self-driving cars will go out on their own and do ridesharing a la Uber or Lyft, unmanned, making both Tesla and the car owner extra income while the car would otherwise be idle.

Sounds like a cool idea but... also sounds batspit insane.
Sounds cool until you think about the legal liabilities involved. What happens when somebody ride shares your car and gets in an accident? You wake up with the police at your door, or wake up to go to work with no car. Better yet, uses it to commit a crime and the police wake you up to fit you with a nice set of bracelets? Gotta give him credit for pushing the envelope though.

Quote:
https://www.geekwire.com/2019/tesla-elon-musk-robotaxi/

Tesla's not the only major company building toward autonomous taxi fleets, btw. They're just trying to beat the market by being the first.
He's gotta do something because from what I understand, they currently depend on federal subsidies that are sunsetting just to stay afloat, and they are about to be joined in the electric market by BMW (already there) Audi and VW who are more natural competitors than Chevy Volt and the Toyota Prius.

That said, I like how Musk is willing to give all kinds of new tech a shot.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:53 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Sounds cool until you think about the legal liabilities involved. What happens when somebody ride shares your car and gets in an accident? You wake up with the police at your door, or wake up to go to work with no car. Better yet, uses it to commit a crime and the police wake you up to fit you with a nice set of bracelets? Gotta give him credit for pushing the envelope though.
Nobody really batted an eyelash about liability when they started dumping those electric scooters in every major city in the US. The tech sector is basically betting they can make a killing anytime they do something tranformative that regulation hasn't caught up to yet.

At what price point would I dare risk my personal Tesla to other people crapping it up for a ride share? You'd basically have to tell me the Tesla is mine for free after five years, I think, before I'd start to consider it.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Nobody really batted an eyelash about liability when they started dumping those electric scooters in every major city in the US. The tech sector is basically betting they can make a killing anytime they do something tranformative that regulation hasn't caught up to yet.

At what price point would I dare risk my personal Tesla to other people crapping it up for a ride share? You'd basically have to tell me the Tesla is mine for free after five years, I think, before I'd start to consider it.
Fair point, but not a complete apples to apples. I'm not sure any of those electric scooters have killed their rider who was using hands free on them, for example. They also aren't tied to a person who isn't on them at the time. The liability would be with the parent company and the rider in the scooter example, because there is no other party. Having your leased Tesla used for ride sharing would add exposure to a technically uninvolved, but possibly still legally liable party, the person who has the vehicle. I'm also not an attorney, I just play one in this post.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM
BP Staff

Those scooters are incredibly dangerous and they completely flaunt helmet laws, though. The liability issues for both the users and the parent company have to be immense, and yet every major city in the US has a million of the stupid things now from 2, 3, 4 different companies? These companies all have to have attorneys, so what are they betting on? What are Tesla, Uber, Google, etc. all betting on while strongly pursuing creation of autonomous taxi fleets?
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM
BP Staff

Expect Panarin to "commit suicide" any day now that he's openly criticized Putin in an interview.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:42 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
I literally have never met a Canadian person who didn't love their health care system relative to the United States'. Ditto the folks from the UK.

Again, if universal health care were such a fiscal loser or such a bureaucratic nightmare, why does every single other major industrialized nation have some form of it?
And how many would that be as I have talked to 6 o7 at the games who claim that they paid for procedures in the States as the wait was longer than 6 months.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

As with most things in life, if you've got the $$, you don't have to wait in line and/or you can get the most expensive procedure. Pretty simple really..
Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post

He's gotta do something because from what I understand, they currently depend on federal subsidies that are sunsetting just to stay afloat, and they are about to be joined in the electric market by BMW (already there) Audi and VW who are more natural competitors than Chevy Volt and the Toyota Prius.

That said, I like how Musk is willing to give all kinds of new tech a shot.
I imagine there will be, or are already insurance rules and waivers in place to account for this. The autobot revolution is inevitable, it's hard to fathom but in a decade half the cars on the road will be automated. In our lifetime, it might very well be illegal to manually drive a car on a public highway. Crazy
Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Those scooters are incredibly dangerous and they completely flaunt helmet laws, though. The liability issues for both the users and the parent company have to be immense, and yet every major city in the US has a million of the stupid things now from 2, 3, 4 different companies? These companies all have to have attorneys, so what are they betting on? What are Tesla, Uber, Google, etc. all betting on while strongly pursuing creation of autonomous taxi fleets?
We got rid of the Lime scooters after a few months. Way too much ped vs scooter problems. On the Tesla note, they built and are staffing the largest AC building in the world, just 15 mi the east of Reno. Panasonic is partners and itís primarily for all kinds of batteries, for cars as well as solar. Itíll have 30,000 people when fully staffed. Musk is a big deal in northern Nevada. Google is also building a data center out there on 1210 acres. Rumor is theyíll do work there with Tesla on autonomous vehicles. 😎. Now, dammit, build us a ice rink!!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Is there a green method for recycling/disposing of the lithium batteries when they ear out?
Closed Thread