BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Like I said, the practicality of the model can be argued(I'm not in favor of it), I just don't think the argument that our founders made the decision out of ignorance works when it was the entire purpose of the system.

I'm pretty sure the Civil War covered going to the mattresses over the 3/5th compromise.
Bolded: Not really. It just spawned new ways to disenfranchise slaves and Descendants of Slaves. From Jim Crow to Mass Incarceration to Amendment 4 in FL being turned into a poll tax by the legislature. Giving convicts the right to vote isn't about the Boston Marathon Bomber or Dylan Roof, it's about the ~10million people per year who flow in and out of the Incarceration Complex for non-violent crimes. Crimes that the poor and brown are prosecuted for at a much higher rate than those who aren't poor and brown. Mass incarceration is voter suppression and that's what it's really always been about.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Rare truthfulness in a headline

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...m_campaign=nym
Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Bolded: Not really. It just spawned new ways to disenfranchise slaves and Descendants of Slaves. From Jim Crow to Mass Incarceration to Amendment 4 in FL being turned into a poll tax by the legislature. Giving convicts the right to vote isn't about the Boston Marathon Bomber or Dylan Roof, it's about the ~10million people per year who flow in and out of the Incarceration Complex for non-violent crimes. Crimes that the poor and brown are prosecuted for at a much higher rate than those who aren't poor and brown. Mass incarceration is voter suppression and that's what it's really always been about.
Yes the actual law and not lingering residual effects of indoctrinated discrimination and racist state laws in the south was addressed with the Civil War. The voting rights act came straight out of the Civil War in 1965 which ended the 3/5ths compromise.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
The argument isn't that the Senate isn't representative of the population of each state. The argument is that the entire idea of the Senate is counter to the idea of a representative democratic republic.
Disagree, but it may be semantics. If everything were based strictly on population, the citizens of those smaller states would effectively have no representation.

Quote:
If we publicly funded all campaigns and actually made the currently legalized bribery, illegal, then we'd be a lot better off.
Don't disagree with any of that.

Quote:
The Senate would still be undemocratic, but it wouldn't be as intolerably unrepresentative of the will of the People as it is now and will be by 2040.
This assumes the will of the people is not contained within less populated states, doesn't it? IMO, you are looking in the wrong place for a solution to your problem. The House is that solution.

Last edited by dannybolt; 05-07-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Keefamania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Not sure what you are disagreeing with. The Senate was designed to have equal representation regardless of state population size. This was specifically done to prevent a tyranny of the majority; so big states like NY/FLA/TX/CA don't have the majority voice in the legislature by the nature of their population density. If you want the Senate to be represented proportionally, you don't really need the House of Representatives at that point.

The House is where the populace is supposed to be mirror the relative population levels, which it does. I think you could make the argument that more house seats should be added, because you have Wyoming with one house seat, giving it a more representation per capita, while more populated states have a lower per capita as there are only so many house seats to go around.

I don't understand where the criticism of the Senate for not being more representative of the number of people in said states is coming from, because it was never designed to do that. I don't complain that my microwave makes for a lousy dishwasher.
Senate was meant to represent the States and was to be elected by the State Legislatures...The House was meant to represent the people at the Federal level. The 17th Amendment is what screwed with that balance.

"...But the larger point I want to emphasize here is that there is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even ó you could even rig Americaís elections, in part, because they are so decentralized and the numbers of votes involved.

There is no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there are instances in which that will happen this time.
..."

Partial text of President Obama's October 18, 2016 Speech

Old 05-07-2019, 01:43 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
This assumes the will of the people is not contained within less populated states.
The problem is that "the will of the people" is not a monolithic thing. We have, at a minimum, two distinct and very disparate countries that are growing even further apart by the day. They're not just geographically different, but urban/suburban America is demographically, economically, and culturally completely different that exurban/rural America. That's why there is no one-size-fits-all approach that easily creates a coalition that can govern this country peacefully, especially if you have dishonest actors in the soup who are willing to demagogue and foment racial, religious, class, and cultural animus for political gain.

I do believe that changes need to be made to make sure that these smaller exurban/rural communities aren't holding hostage progress in our larger urban/suburban communities. But, it's inherent in that bargain that there need to be investments made in making sure those exurban/rural communities aren't abandoned/left behind. The New Deal made those investments in things like the TVA. Similar investments need to be made in exurban/rural America but it needs to be made in a humble and collaborative way that doesn't exacerbate existing cultural resentments (some of which are actually legitimate).
Old 05-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
.......I do believe that changes need to be made to make sure that these smaller exurban/rural communities aren't holding hostage progress in our larger urban/suburban communities. .....
Want to think out of the box, Divide the urban areas. Create more states with HEAVY urban areas into new states so urban areas do not affect rural areas so much.

From 50 to 70 for instance.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
It's a fair argument to ask if the 2 senate per state system makes sense, it's not a great argument to say that our founding fathers didn't see this coming. The entire reason for the split legislative branch was to give power to the smaller and less populated states.
Thatís a myth perpetrated over time, because we donít want to tell our children that the entire ďgrand compromiseĒ has its basis in racism. (Canít tarnish the founding fathers by acknowledging that they were for the most part racists). It provided that slave states would have similar representation as free states. It also gave southern slave states a greater number of electoral votes by counting slaves as 3/5 of a white man.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Not saying that I support it, but how do you guys feel about direct democracy and not representative democracy?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Doesnít work. You canít have town hall meetings on every issue shaping the country.