BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

I and we have not given the props to 77 that he deserves. He’s been an absolute beast in all areas of the ice. He’s showing the play and talent we all know he has. The last two games have showcased what he is capable of. I’d vote for #2 star behind Vasi. Bodes well for game 5. Root ‘em on to victory boys.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

FWIW as bad as it looked we still had more dangerous shots than them

Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
FWIW as bad as it looked we still had more dangerous shots than them

That is WOW worthy
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM

Miller has been a disappointment after his play coming from the farm team to finish the regular season. Seems he grips the stick a bit too tight in the playoffs.

Erne available?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Keefamania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Miller has been a disappointment after his play coming from the farm team to finish the regular season. Seems he grips the stick a bit too tight in the playoffs.

Erne available?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:14 PM

Thought as soon as we acquired McD it would eventually end up Hedman-Girardi and McD-Stralman. Girardi works well as the man back on that pairing and Coburn and Sergachev are holding their own. I'm proud of our D so far...for all of their warts they are stepping up
Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM

Think about this game carefully. It wasn't nearly as ugly as it looks at first glance. You can see 38 shots against etc.

Then step back and look at the 1st period. The Bolts gave up one to Orlov on a rocket but got it back quickly thanks to Kempny's gift turnover. They continued playing well, earned another PP, and scored on it. They then spent the last 9 minutes surviving multiple PKs.

This burns out the PK units' legs and it also removes guys from the game who don't kill penalties. The stretch of Penalties in the 1st and into the 2nd derailed any game that the Lightning was trying to get to. They were in pure survival mode but the shot danger, as shown above, wasn't bad. They defended well despite being bottled up for 8min of the 1st and most of the 2nd Period. Sure, possession matters, but if you've never really been given a chance to get on track or in a flow, you have to do what you have to do. The Bolts did what they had to do. Defend well, limit high-risk chances, keep things to the outside and limit second/third chances on shots.

Vasy let in a softie. He did. That Kuznetsov goal was soft. Here's the thing though. It didn't matter to him. It rolled off and he went right back to making key situational saves and he froze pucks better tonight getting face-offs instead.

The Bolts were still in survival mode in the 3rd to start, but they found their legs. More of the team got engaged in the game, due to lines being able to be rolled out over the boards with regularity instead of interrupted by PK time. 4-5 shifts before the penalty to Eller, the Bolts had taken the game back in my opinion. They cycled the puck well. They changed lines, did it again. Cally/Dumptruck/Kunitz came out against Ovie's line and spent it in their end. Points line did the same thing. Cirelli's line came out and Eller hooked Killorn on a scoring chance. We get a PP, finally setup PP1 and get a few good looks with some movement. PP2 comes out and just after the Eller penalty expired, Killorn scores the GWG.

This is when the Bolts took over the game in my opinion. There were just over 8minutes left in the game and the Bolts would have to face extended time with 6 on 5. They got pucks up and out of the zone, made the Caps come 200' religiously. The 6 on 5 time was not nearly as dangerous as other 6 on 5 episodes we've seen. Lots of perimeter play and some timely saves/clears from Vasy and the D.

So yes, the shot numbers and possession look bad. They're not the whole story in my view. The possession and shots were inflated by the consecutive calls against the Lightning in the 1st going into the 2nd period. Those PKs in the 1st and the survival mode play for almost the entire 2nd period will go down in Lightning Lore if this team goes on to win it all this year.

It wasn't a Picasso. It may have been more Dali. Surreal and kind of disturbing, but still a masterpiece. Any win in the playoffs, on the road, is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Good assessment. Stats can be meaningful..but sometimes overlook the qualitative aspects. It’s true in science and is true in sport. You just cant say enough about resilience. What a marvelous victory for the men from Tampa. I like their chances in a best of 3.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 AM

Vasi saved the season. Despite the refs deciding they are now allowed to review penalties.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:47 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Side note... how many times are they going to bring up the rangers in our broadcast? I could of counted if it was going to be this ridiculous

“Tampa picked up a bunch of rangers players that are used to playing in this building”
“How does Vasy remind you of Lundquist when you were in NY”
“These ex Rangers players really bring veteran leadership”