BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I was talking about when the rets called embellishment on Marchand in game 5 in response to him saying they aren't calling embellishment in the playoffs.

You agreeing or not doesn't change the fact that they made the call.
Was really asking about Derek28's claim that Subban dove. That wasn't a dive.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Was really asking about Derek28's claim that Subban dove. That wasn't a dive.
Unless Subban is the weakest skater in the NHL, he sold the hell out of it. Connor barely touched Subban with the stick and he throws his whole body forward. That is textbook embellishment....

The only video I could find of it

https://twitter.com/CaveyCanuck/stat...44252880961536

You can mute the audio, it's just Don Cherry babbling. But, it looks like a pretty intentional lunge forward when he feels the stick touch him.

Last edited by Derek28; 05-10-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Unless Subban is the weakest skater in the NHL, he sold the hell out of it. Connor barely touched Subban with the stick and he throws his whole body forward. That is textbook embellishment....

The only video I could find of it

https://twitter.com/CaveyCanuck/stat...44252880961536

You can mute the audio, it's just Don Cherry babbling. But, it looks like a pretty intentional lunge forward when he feels the stick touch him.
I don't doubt that you see it as an embellishment. I don't.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 05-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Completely crapping the bed in this series against Winnipeg is going to take some of the shine off that Vezina Trophy for Rinne. He may get pulled halfway through his acceptance speech and need to let Saros finish it for him.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBolt View Post
Rinne got pulled four times in the playoffs.
Absolutely nuts. I do feel bad for him, he took responsibility for them exiting the playoffs. That's gotta sting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Completely crapping the bed in this series against Winnipeg is going to take some of the shine off that Vezina Trophy for Rinne. He may get pulled halfway through his acceptance speech and need to let Saros finish it for him.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Len Barrie's Fiscal Cliff

Well, there goes another prognostication pick (Nashville in finals)

I know little about them, but I guess, go (Thrasher)Jets.

QUOTE FROM WIKIPEDIA "Led by Hawerchuk, Steen, Babych and Carlyle, the Jets returned to respectability fairly quickly, and made the playoffs 11 times in the next 15 years. However, regular-season success did not transfer over into the playoffs. This was because Winnipeg played in the same division as the Oilers and Calgary Flames – by some accounts, the two best teams in the league during the second half of the 1980s. Due to the way the playoffs were structured at the time, whenever the Jets made the playoffs, they faced the near-certainty of having to beat either the Oilers or the Flames (or both) to get to the Campbell Conference Finals. At the time, the top four teams in each division made the playoffs, with the regular-season division winner playing against the fourth-place team and the regular-season runner-up playing the third-place team in the division semifinals. The division semifinal winners advanced to the division finals, and the two division final winners would meet in the conference finals.

For example, in 1984–85, they finished with the fourth-best record in the entire league (behind only Philadelphia, Edmonton and Washington). They also notched 96 points, which would remain the franchise's best as an NHL team until the 2009–10 Coyotes racked up the franchise's second 100-point season (and first as an NHL team). While they managed to dispatch the Flames (with the league's fifth-best record) in four games in the best-of-five division semi-final, they were swept by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Oilers in the division final. In fact, Winnipeg and Edmonton played each other in the playoffs six times between 1983 and 1990. The Oilers not only won every series, but held the Jets to only four total victories. Five of those times (1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, and 1990), the Oilers went on to win the Stanley Cup. The Jets would win only one other playoff series, in 1987 (defeating Calgary in the division semi-final before losing to Edmonton in the division final).END QUOTE

Last edited by gphockey; 05-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

To me, the Jets need to figure out who's history they're going with. Their team is in Phoenix, they have Atlanta's team. Hearing the announcers talk about "this franchise" while babbling about something the former Jets did was strange.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Absolutely nuts. I do feel bad for him, he took responsibility for them exiting the playoffs. That's gotta sting.
I donít think Iíve ever seen anything like that in the playoffs. He was either fantastic or awful with nothing in between.