BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Reading the comments from the TSN article, it's alarming how many people think Feaster made all the recent free-agent signings and was forced to resign because of them.
That doesn't even make sense if you think the moves are stupid. Like any owner would sign off on committing $50 million worth of salary in 10 days, then suddenly realize it was all going to a bunch of stiffs.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about American students falling behind in the classroom.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I don't see the huge surprise or how he was mistreated. The writing was on the wall the moment we started making the big moves and signings, if not when Torts was sent packing. What was wrong with what happened? It's not like they openly questioned his work ethic or stirred up a media frenzy around it, if you wanted to turn this into a Boyle/Richards type thing. Worse to leave him hanging in the lurch with very little to actually do or influence. That'd be depressing as hell. If I bought the team and started making all the calls, I'd do the same thing, and I like and respect Feaster a lot overall.

Thanks Jay for everything! Best of luck on your next venture.. It was awesome seeing you lift the cup and get so pumped at the celebration.

The fact that they have left the trainers and equipment guys alone proves they aren't changing things for changes sake, and the same will go for the on-air talent, who have even less of an effect on what happens on the ice, as long as they don't go rocking the boat themselves..

Last edited by Hoek; 07-11-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Good luck jay

Good luck Jay you are a decent human being who might have done a better job if your hads had not been tied by PS&E, but we will never really know , while you had bad trades and signings you had good ones also and you helped us win a CUP. that was no small feat.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Send a message via Yahoo to matt24

Why all the love for a guy the MAJORITY of you wanted CANNED? Just bc you don't like the new owners and what they are doing? Talk about 2 faced. When are some of you going to get over Boyle and Richards being dealt? When they prove they weren't worth what the Bolts were paying them? When they show that they really weren't all that? Feaster was a BUM!!!! He made like 3 good moves in all the years he was here. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes....

Good bye, don't let the door hit you in the AS$ on the way out!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
BP Staff

DC listed his best and worst Feaster moves...

BEST
1. Acquired D Darryl Sydor and a 2004 fourth-round draft pick from the Blue Jackets for C Alexander Svitov and a third-round 2004 pick, on Jan. 27, 2004.

2. Acquired LW Cory Stillman from the Blues for a 2003 second-round draft pick, on June 21, 2003.

3. Acquired RW Ruslan Fedotenko and two 2002 second-round draft picks (one of which was traded for Brad Lukowich) from the Flyers for the No. 4 overall pick in the 2002 draft, on June 21, 2002.

WORST

1. Acquired G Marc Denis from the Blue Jackets for LW Fredrik Modin and G Fredrik Norrena, on July 1, 2006.

2. Being part of the decision-making that, after Nikolai Khabibulin left as a free agent, led to three seasons of porous goaltending from John Grahame, Sean Burke, Denis and Johan Holmqvist.

3. Not trading players such as D Pavel Kubina, RW Ruslan Fedotenko and D Cory Sarich before they left, without compensation, as unrestricted free agents.

----

1 and 2 on the worst are definitely true. I don't know how the heck you trade Kubina and/or Fedotenko off of teams about to enter the playoffs just so you can get at least a draft pick back. Sarich struggled his last year - perhaps he could have been moved, but he was still playing 4/5 minutes at the time. That's hard to replace. Those years the team was looking to add at the deadline - that's what perennial playoff teams do.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Chainsaw Charlie

Feaster, 45, will receive full compensation from a contract that has three years to go and pays from $800,000 to $900,000 a year, though an "offset" provision would reduce the amount if he took another hockey job.So if he went NFL, MBL NBA,they still got to pay

Sounds like something a Lawyer would do

Thanks Jay for the CUP,and people tend to forget it was you that stopped that genius Dud from getting rid of Vinny,by getting Dudley fired.

Your lack of sucess with Goalies got you in the end.

Have a good time hanging out.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
3. Not trading players such as D Pavel Kubina, RW Ruslan Fedotenko and D Cory Sarich before they left, without compensation, as unrestricted free agents.

1 and 2 on the worst are definitely true. I don't know how the heck you trade Kubina and/or Fedotenko off of teams about to enter the playoffs just so you can get at least a draft pick back. Sarich struggled his last year - perhaps he could have been moved, but he was still playing 4/5 minutes at the time. That's hard to replace. Those years the team was looking to add at the deadline - that's what perennial playoff teams do.
Thats pretty sad that that is the best he could come up with for #3. If that is his complaint, he should have critisized Feaster trading second rounders in the off season instead of using the money on free agents. Same concept. Legitimate bad deals? The Gratton and Weekes deals come to mind. If he didn't want to list a trade, how about Feasters lack of trade prowess overall? You can also extend his lack of evaluating skills from the goaltending to the forward position. Being unable to find an adequate replacement for Modin indirectly led to the trading of Richards a couple of years later. Not giving R2 a 1 way contract was also a terrible move, as was allowing Tortorella free reign in the clubhouse. Why Karlsson was enjoying NHL ice time instead of floundering in some swedish league, who knows
Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Reading the comments from the TSN article, it's alarming how many people think Feaster made all the recent free-agent signings and was forced to resign because of them.
Yeah I didn't understand that at all, but I guess it wasn't obvious to out of towners that he hasn't been involved lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I don't see the huge surprise or how he was mistreated. The writing was on the wall the moment we started making the big moves and signings, if not when Torts was sent packing. What was wrong with what happened? It's not like they openly questioned his work ethic or stirred up a media frenzy around it, if you wanted to turn this into a Boyle/Richards type thing.
Huh? I think it's pretty obvious he got pushed out the door like the other two but in a different way.
Quote:
Worse to leave him hanging in the lurch with very little to actually do or influence.
Well, that's what they did. Maybe they didn't want to be the ones to make the first move, but there's only so much of that someone's going to take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt24 View Post
Why all the love for a guy the MAJORITY of you wanted CANNED? Just bc you don't like the new owners and what they are doing? Talk about 2 faced. When are some of you going to get over Boyle and Richards being dealt? When they prove they weren't worth what the Bolts were paying them? When they show that they really weren't all that? Feaster was a BUM!!!! He made like 3 good moves in all the years he was here. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes....

Good bye, don't let the door hit you in the AS$ on the way out!!!!!!!!!
It's called giving respect for someone who did a lot of good things for this franchise & has his name on the CUP, I guess that might be a difficult concept for some.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
If that is his complaint, he should have critisized Feaster trading second rounders in the off season instead of using the money on free agents.
An excellent point and obviously the biggest difference in off-season strategy between the two groups thus far.

IMO, No.3 could have been becoming so incredibly picky with who could fit through the door to the Lightning that instead of buying free agents (which don't cost you assets), as TBFAN mentioned, they traded off long-term assets for short-term help.

I don't have a list in front of me of who was available, but the drop-off was limited at best if there was any drop-off.

This is why the criticism of the scouting staff is too harsh. Nearly all the top-60 options were gone, and they hit at an average rate with the ones that were left. If you bat .400 and only get 8 at bats, your production looks a whole lot worse than a team batting the same with 20 at bats.

However... if you are penny pinching, and you HAVE to have a LWer for your top line, the chances of you getting one that you can afford are minimal and perhaps only achieved via trade.

Which brings up the Richards contract as a more likely No.3.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Yeah, it's this way all over the league. I was reading the Sharks boards after the Boyle trade and they thought Feaster was crazy for making the trade and now having such a young Defense and blah blah. But it was all Feaster's doing.
Surprised Melrose hasn't gotten the word out that it's his owners doing it all.