BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I think I'm too stunned & wary of all these rumors to really think much of anything about any of these deals right now, but I do like this move a lot. Very underrated goalie & widely acknowledged as being a team leader who's loved by his teammates. I was looking forward to seeing more of Ramo, but a good solid year in the AHL won't hurt him & will hopefully make him hungrier.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
WaiverWire

I am glad he is coming here, but feel sad at the same time. I remember when he signed that last contract. He took less money as he loved playing for the Caps and wanted to retire there. Would had been nice for a player with that type of dedication to a team and area to get their wish.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
I am glad he is coming here, but feel sad at the same time. I remember when he signed that last contract. He took less money as he loved playing for the Caps and wanted to retire there. Would had been nice for a player with that type of dedication to a team and area to get their wish.
Yeah, that part of it is a shame really. He was very dedicated to that team but I guess they made it clear they wanted to go in another direction.

Still don't get what happened with Huet, but hey that's the Cap's problem not ours!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I wonder if he feels that coming to a team he's familiar with is a good thing or a bad thing? I think I'd be inclined to feel a little better about the whole thing, especially with staying in the division. He'll be playing the same teams the same amount of times.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Captain Poke Check

I remember asking about the goaltender situation in another thread on 6/21.

http://www.boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332

Now all I have to do is get 2 DUIs and I will have all the qualifications I need to be a sports talk show host.

But seriously, I like this signing and in some ways it even shows that Torts was right. He was advocating this exact move at the end of the season. And no I am not blowing my own horn over guessing this move. I in NO WAY think that OK and Len read my post and suddenly got the idea. It was just a lucky guess on my part.

And more on target, remember this deal is only for one year and with Smith going to get the bulk of the work having Ramo play in Norfolk will be better for his long term career potential. That is because Ramo will be getting the bulk of the work in Norfolk so he will still be playing alot.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Cooper's Law

One-year deal. Yeah, for now. Could always extend Ollie the goalie if Smith and Ramo don't show with conviction that they are ready for prime time.

This was an excellent signing at an excellent price, further bolstering the idea that OK Hockey wasn't just two overeager, rich fantasy hockey geeks. They're off to a most impressive start.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Cooper's Law

This is among the more important moves that took place today although the point may not become evident for months....this is so great.....this guy being there changes the entire dynamic in our net - for the first time in four long years we have a real, legit National Hockey League netminder. Holmqvist was good on many nights; on way too many others he earned his nickname Holeqvist. Never any consistency. If one of the New Kids on the Dock rises up, great. If not, you got an ultra-consistent, rock solid, proven go-to All Star who's been all the way deep in the playoffs and knows the ropes, just a great move, (aren't they all, so far)

Jay who?

Now it's really "OK" Hockey
Old 07-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
This was an excellent signing at an excellent price, further bolstering the idea that OK Hockey wasn't just two overeager, rich fantasy hockey geeks. They're off to a most impressive start.
I like the signing, I like the 1 year length, but I think the $2.5 million cap hit is way too much. I was thinking $1 - $1.5 million as fair.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Popcorn Server

In the long run it probably is best for Ramo in the minors this year, its not like its going to hurt his attitude so he should be fine.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Cooper's Law

Also it's not like he'll play the whole season in the minors anyway most likely