BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
You can't see why ownership would pay to have depth in the minors?
No. I am just not use to seeing players w/ 1 way contracts in the minors. Its cash that was never available in the past.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Cooper's Law

It's the right way to do business.

Although I have a weird, sneaking suspicion that Niskala AND Hutchinson could step into regular top-6 minutes this season and really establish themselves well as NHLers. So I'm a bit frustrated at the logjam we've got. And Lundin is a fine prospect, an asset I really don't want to see discarded. Still, we are committed to our revamped young core of blueliners - Carle, Picard, Ranger and SOB - and we can't ice a kiddie corps, so we have to hope that the competition in training camp goes far to sort it all out.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Captain Poke Check

My thoughts on defense are that this ownership group is going to be slanted toward the players that they brought in more than the players that were already here.

I don't dislike Smaby or Lundin I just think they are going to get caught in a numbers game.

Looking at the TBL Web Site the following is the defensemen they have listed. Now you can read into it what you will but I find the names and the missing names interesting.

18 Matthew Carle
24 Andrew Hutchinson
71 Filip Kuba
39 Mike Lundin
55 Shane O'Brien
2 Alexandre Picard
54 Paul Ranger
32 Matt Smaby
Ty Wishart

Note that Niskala is missing despite the fact that he was signed BEFORE Hutchinson. So we are left looking at the following situation. IMO, It is most likely that there will be 3 new players skating on defense at the start of the year. Carle, Hutchinson and an as yet traded for player will be with the Bolts and Wishart will be in Nor. That leaves 4 spots (3 playing, 1 scratch) to come from the list of Kuba, Lundin, O'Brien, Picard, Ranger and Smaby (or 6 players for 4 slots). One or two of those players will be heading out via trade to get the other D-man Lawton wants, so the question becomes who goes.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:41 PM
BP Staff

No offense to the TBL crew, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in who they have listed there. It's notorious for being incomplete, etc. Wishart there and Mihalik not listed makes no sense. Someone just threw him up there.

Their organizational roster is filled with players that are no longer with the club.