BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman21 View Post
I agree with you on this one Freddy. Those two were the ones who brought the focus and attitude to the team and it payed off with a Stanley Cup.
Wasn't it said after the Cup win that Torts losing the team and we went into our skid mid season. Then Andreychuk got the players to buy into the system and he rest is history? If so it was Andreychuk that lead this team and gave us the Cup. I want no part of Torts anywhere near this team.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Not really digging the revisionism giving Torts zero credit here. While I don't see a place for him now, I'm not going to take away from the incredible job he did.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Not really digging the revisionism giving Torts zero credit here. While I don't see a place for him now, I'm not going to take away from the incredible job he did.
By incredible, you mean taking a team pre-built and finally realizing it's potential. Something I feel it could have done with quite a few coaches, see Gruden, John.

It was the same story here as it was in NY, he loses the top players, dislikes enforcers, plays with goalies heads, screws around with top players, and has no answer when he gets out coached. Except of course, so lame schtick he does with the press.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

But let's remember why Torts got punted from TBL in the first place -- not because he lost the players or wore out his welcome... it was the Cowboys and in particular Len Barrie, who wanted no part of him and his objections to trading Richards and Boyle. It wasn't because he lost his shelf life here. When he got fired, it wasn't met with great enthusiasm here or with the fanbase at large.

One of the reasons they didn't want him around, and perhaps the only *good* reason out of a bunch of *bad* reasons was because they were about to draft Steven Stamkos and didn't want Torts within 1000 miles of him.

...And then they hired Barry Melrose...
Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 PM

Perhaps he hadn't lost the team, but he certainly was having problems communicating with management.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...s-coach/605741
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
Wasn't it said after the Cup win that Torts losing the team and we went into our skid mid season. Then Andreychuk got the players to buy into the system and he rest is history? If so it was Andreychuk that lead this team and gave us the Cup.
Which is why the #25 jersey should be hanging from the rafters right now. That it isn't, is an embarassing oversight by three owners/GMs in a row.
Quote:
I want no part of Torts anywhere near this team.
Is that even a remote possibility?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
"Sometimes it's obviously easier to change one person than to change the whole roster," the 2004 Hart Trophy winner said. "I wish we had done better for him because he had done a lot for the organization and as hard as he was on his players, I would change nothing. He brought us a Stanley Cup, he got Vinny (Lecavalier) to play, and gave me, a no-name guy, a chance to play and took a lot of us to the highest level. He got us to the thing everybody chases."

Boyle said contrary to prevailing opinion, the often-volatile, unyieldingly demanding Tortorella had not been tuned out by a team that was no longer the group of kids he took over seven years ago.

"We know what he's like. For the veteran guys, no he didn't lose us," he said.
I think I'll take the players input on this. Absolutely our leadership was a huge, HUGE part of it, but they weren't coaching the team out there on the ice, they had a game to play.

All that said, I don't want him back in any real significant role. He's certainly welcome to consult and represent the team in the community though.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I don't want him back in any real significant role.
Is that even a remote poss...oh, never mind
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Is there any chance that Torts re-evaluates his coaching style to adapt to today's kind of coaches (teachers, encouragers, treat them like men, coddle, think Joe Maddon) or will he be the kind of coach that GM's will always know this is what you are getting, take it or leave it? The screamer, yeller, demeaning kind of coach doesn't play well with today's generation of athletes who have been pampered by helicopter parents their whole lives. If he can change, he can still have a long NHL coaching career. Kinda like how Belechick in the NFL changed from the way he was in Cleveland.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM

One could have asked the same question after he left the Bolts.