BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 PM
BP Staff

Default The BoltProspects Podcast, Episode 97

This BoltProspects Podcast, Episode 97 – the Matt Gilroy Edition, contains the following topics:

· The No. 97
· Drouinsanity 3.0
· First round difficulties
· 2017 Draft review
· BP “underrating defensemen” (yes and no)
· “GirarDay” (UFA) review
· So… bottom line… are the Lightning better?

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...ast-episode-97
Old 07-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I listened to the Drouin discussion and just have to comment.

In the attack on the trade, there was one possible reason for the trade that was glossed over. The one that makes the most sense - he was a fucking pain in the ass and Yzerman tired of his act. Yes, I admit that I didn't like the pick and yes when 2 pro scouts told me that Yzerman was going to have his hands full with him and better figure out how to get him under control, it forever clouded my opinion of him.

However, the assertion that he was not handled properly makes no sense whatsoever. What makes far more sense is that he was a royal pain from the start.

He didn't play in one of the prospect games his rookie year which I found odd. He sat with the other teammates and I stood next to them. There was an arrogance that was evident as he sat there, held court, belittled and laughed at his teammates on the ice. While some were critical of returning him to juniors, I saw it as validation of what I had been told. Cooper has been criticized for not putting him on the power play his second year. Yet it has been said, the only way a coach has to punish and reward behavior is to reduce ice and power play time. Then he walked off the team. While there seemed to be a truce last year, none of us know what was going on behind the scenes - including me.

Maybe, I'm totally wrong. Maybe he was a model citizen and Cooper had it in for him from the start. Maybe Yzerman wanted to sabotage Drouin for whatever reason. But I just think there is more to the story than we know and that Yzerman is too classy to air dirty laundry. Then again, it was in his best interest to keep any problems hidden to prevent his value from decreasing further.

Time will tell. Maybe he will do a do a Seguin, wake up as a result of the trade and become a star. Maybe, we will see the pattern continue in Montreal. Maybe he is just a millennial as was suggested.

I enjoy listening to the podcast and Chad's opinions. Many times I agree with him, this time I didn't.

Last edited by Donnie D; 07-04-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Default Drouin

In agreement with Donnie. Bolts' fans will probably never get the full story just like with Paul Ranger, but think attitude of player and contract had a lot to do with trade. Maybe in Montreal he will grow up and see the light. Not sure his family has helped either. Some times very talented people just don't work well with others. In Montreal he will be under the microscope for sure. Unlike Subban he does not come across as personable. Why is Chad off Lightning Powerplay?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:57 AM
BP Staff

Fair points, Donnie. I still think there was a way that this all could have worked if TB really wanted it to. If they knew the attitude issues and still drafted him over Seth Jones, either they didn't do their homework or they couldn't handle it after they drafted. Similar to DeAngelo.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Chad said that he wouldn't say anything more about being removed from The Lightning PowerPlay. It's probably because he gives an opinion that is more honest and scathing than access journalism will allow.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:32 AM
BP Staff

They didn't like my reaction to the Drouin trade. If they are going to have ties to BP, they want a positive message. Or at least one that's not critical. I understand their point.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
They didn't like my reaction to the Drouin trade. If they are going to have ties to BP, they want a positive message. Or at least one that's not critical. I understand their point.
Sounds like they are no more than an infomercial for the TBL.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:26 AM
BP Staff

Lightning Radio has to promote Lightning hockey. Understandable.

Some have mentioned to me before that there's a lack of objectivity there, which may be true, but there's some good info available from it. Guests are good for the most part.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I understand it, but I'm glad you don't just tow the line, makes the podcasts much better to listen to/twitter much more interesting to read on the main page.

I'm with you on Drouin, I don't like the trade.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Glad you brought this up. I was going to discuss this today when I got time.

This is disturbing from a number of angles. While I understand that the site is owned by the Lightning and they want a largely positive message, fans expect honesty from the guests on the power play show. The fact that Chad did not agree with the trade shouldn't be that threatening to the organization. Other guests supported the trade. Well, I thought they did before this revelation. I think fans want their commentators to be honest. Hell the Chief and Phil have leveled some very critical comments at lightning players in the past and are still employed.

Perhaps the problem in this case wasn't the disagreement with trade, but the vitriol in which it was delivered. I knew Chad wasn't going to want to sell the case of Drouin underroos that he had purchased, but I didn't expect the savageness of the delivery. Had I owned the Lightning I wouldn't have aired it either. Chad has been critical of past Lightning moves, but this was really an attack and over the top. (sorry Chad, just being honest)

I know that BP has had a good relationship with the organization and Al Murray that has benefitted the site. I hope that hasn't been damaged. I hope that cooler heads will prevail, because I think Chad does a great job and is good at what he and the group does. It would be a loss for the Lightning organization and the exposure of the site if this can't be repaired.

Last edited by Donnie D; 07-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.