BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
If you have a monthly fee in mind, post it. I have no problem paying.
Tim would be better suited than me to talk about that, but I know last time we passed the virtual hat & that worked out fine as you all are pretty generous.

Hopefully more on this in the near future.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

As discussed in the podcast thread Patreon could handle the monthly fee.

I don't know how much it costs but XenForo seems to be the new hotness in forum software.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
So, I have my eye on setting up a Slack community for the extended BP community that will essentially replace our FlashChat function for community chats. Slack has excellent support for direct one-on-one chatting, private and public group channels, and excellent support for mobile Android and IOS devices.

Hopefully this will be agreeable to everyone. Stay tuned for more details.

Tim you had me at IOS devices! Helps this traveling Sailor out! 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I've been out of the loop for a few weeks & have only been on twitter, still trying to get caught up. Thought I'd hit every thread today but I'll check it out.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
If you have a monthly fee in mind, post it. I have no problem paying.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to set up a Patreon account for BP and give the community an opportunity to pitch in at different levels, like $2/mo or $4 or even more.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Hey Tim, I know Slack is wonderful. Have used it in the past at an employer.

I use Discord as a gamer though. It may be easier and cheaper. Don't know what all you need for this site, but give it a look. It's fantastic for gaming providing channel based communications via voice or text.
I'm a tabletop RPG'er and have done alot of RPG's on Hangouts and other platforms like Roll20, but with Google canning Hangouts support, it left a void for remote gaming.

I've recently heard about Discord from my gaming community, but haven't checked it out yet. I'm inclined towards Slack because I already participate and run various Slack communities for work and hobbies. But I'll check out Discord as well, especially since I'm hearing it now from a couple of different sources.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post

I don't know how much it costs but XenForo seems to be the new hotness in forum software.
Alright, so let's focus a discussion about the future of the BP forums and especially what you guys prefer.

1. I'm definitely going to upgrade the "forums" in some capacity. We are a couple of versions behind on vBulletin and it's not cheap to upgrade, but upgrade is needed.

2. I'm reluctant to keep maintain my own forum server and install, so I've been looking at vBulletin Cloud, but all this relies upon a certain level of Patreon support from the community (which I think we make)

3. I'm not opposed to moving to a different forum platform like XenForo.

4. This option, and this is really where I want YOUR feedback, is that apps like Slack can essentially replace the tradition forum boards. In Slack, you can create private and public channels and have discussions topical discussions, archive them when they're done. Star and/or tag posts for future reference, search, etc. So, IMO, I think Slack can do most of what forums do, but the format and platform is a little different. With Slack the forum board and the chatroom kinda melds into one thing.

So, opine away. This isn't a vote (yet), but more of a let me get your feedback. Do you think we should move forward trying to collapse chat and forum services onto the same platform, or continue to maintain a traditional forum boards like this. And of course why you think that. Opine away, I'm really curious of your thoughts and input here, and how you can help shape our future.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:24 PM

To be honest, I have no idea how it would work (can't say I know slack). All I'll say is as long as we can keep discussions going like we do here, I'll leave the tech details to people like you who just knows a whole lot more about it than I do.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Discord can be used in much the same way as a forum. Just channels instead of sub-forums.

Either solution is fine for me. I don't know how those of us who haven't used either Slack or Discord would adjust to a new UI.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM

Slack and Discord don't feel as amenable to long posts or organized threads as forum though. That's my concern.