BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
Anime tends to get a bad rap as being "for kids", but a huge amount of it is geared for adults, and it's a medium that allows for amazing storytelling. I would watch freaking shadow puppets if they told a good story.
Agreed. Yakita Japan is about baking, and I thought it was amazing
Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

My favorites (in no particular order) are: Rurouni Kenshin, Full Metal Alchemist (someone else mentioned they preferred the latter series "Brotherhood" better, I have not seen the second series myself, only the first), Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, and, of course, the Dragonball series. I really recommend Full Metal Alchemist for someone looking for something different than your usual "chosen one defeats ultimate darkness" stuff that happens over and over again. Very creative show.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Cooper's Law

I enjoyed the 'Record of Lodoss War' series. 'Princess Mononoke' was good too.

This might be blasphemy, but I don't really care for Akira much. Perhaps if I was introduced to anime with it I'd be fonder.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

don't watch much anymore but used to watch quite a bit.

Ranma 1/2
Tenchi Muyo
Rurouni Kenshin
Neon genesis evengellion
Blue seed
Slayers
Trigun
Record of lotus war
anything by Miyazaki (princess mononoke, spirited away, castle in the sky)

more recently Avatar.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Just got this video in my inbox with the title "This is freaky s***". lol

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The fact that I was just talking about this yesterday is also pretty freaky. This scared the crap out of me back when it first aired.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
don't watch much anymore but used to watch quite a bit.

Ranma 1/2
Tenchi Muyo
Rurouni Kenshin
Neon genesis evengellion
Blue seed
Slayers
Trigun
Record of lotus war
anything by Miyazaki (princess mononoke, spirited away, castle in the sky)

more recently Avatar.
I was actually pleasantly surprised by Avatar, especially as a Nickelodeon cartoon. Decent watch, not too long, juvenile enough to keep kids interest, interesting enough to keep adult's interest. Not "great", but certainly worth a watch, in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Anyone check out the new Thundercats? I just finally watched the premiere and it's pretty good, IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Anyone check out the new Thundercats? I just finally watched the premiere and it's pretty good, IMO.
I thought it was great for a starting point. I loved the idea of making the old Lion-o voice the new ones father. Oh, and Snarf doesn't talk=WIN
Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Bump. What are you all watching these days? I'm about to start watching parasyte, currently watching iron blooded orphans. A lot of new shows since this thread was created 6ish years ago.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Bump. What are you all watching these days? I'm about to start watching parasyte, currently watching iron blooded orphans. A lot of new shows since this thread was created 6ish years ago.
Iron Blooded Orphans was fantastic. They didn't pull any punches in that one.

So far this season I'm watching:

Attack on Titan Season 2 - basically if zombies were giants, pretty grim but a compelling watch

Boku no Hero Academia Season 2 - Naruto with super heroes instead of ninjas

Eromanga sensei - uh the less said about this the better perhaps, a guilty pleasure like Oreimo. Don't care for the underlying theme but the characters and story are good and delve into otaku culture

Saekano Season 2 - a harem anime about making a dating sim game, pretty well written and self aware, I keep falling for different girls at different points which is rare for these shows

Renai Boukun (Love Tyrant) - totally ridiculous show about a cupid matching people up haphazardly, tropes galore

DanMachi Gaiden: Sword Oratoria - a side story of DanMachi, another one of those "if fantasy RPGs were real" anime, interesting seeing the events of the original anime from another perspective

Uchoten Kazoku (Eccentric Family) Season 2 - probably the show with the widest appeal. If you love Miyazaki's stuff it's similar in its whimsical world building, helps if you're familiar with some aspects of Japanese culture/religion as it's all about tanuki, tengu, etc. and their adventures in modern Kyoto

Last season was pretty great, too. My favorites were:

Konosuba - one of the funniest anime I've ever seen, main character dies and gets sent to a fantasy realm only to be saddled with the most useless party members, hilarity ensues

Kobayashi's Maid Dragon - pretty much what the title implies, but even more dragons show up and live among us, an adorable feel good show

Gabriel Dropout - angels and demons visit earth in a kind of study abroad sense, but Gabriel becomes a fallen angel addicted to MMOs and the demons aren't so bad by contrast

Masamune-kun's Revenge - formerly unattractive kid becomes a hottie with the intent of breaking the heart of a girl who bullied him before, fun high school drama

Last edited by Hoek; 05-21-2017 at 04:53 PM.