BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
On the one hand, it's hard to believe he couldn't get more out of Kovy than this. On the other hand, Kovy's unsigned, teams may have seen him as a huge risk to go back to Russia and/or they wanted Waddell taking back a lot of salary so they could fit Kovy in (assuming Atlanta doesn't want that). This may have been the best fit. At least he did better than Florida with Bouwmeester.
Yeah, I ultimately think LA made the right decision...They should stay on course...Maybe Kovy's price comes down after the season and he wants to go there for a reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Paul Kennedy's Cue Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
Huh?

If he never wanted to stay in Atlanta why did he put everyone through the big dance then?
Why didn't he say before the season I dont want to play here?
He was looking for a certain amount of money...
"Huh" right back at you. Why would he or any athlete go public about wanting to leave BEFORE his contract year begins?

There would be no benefit for him if he said these things before the season began, even if he did feel that way. He would be alienating the fans, and even more importantly, he would be alienating his teammates. The guys who feed him the puck so he can score his goals. Sure, the guys in the locker room may get a sense that he doesn't plan to stick around, but if he comes right out and says it, then there's no question about it.

Plus, what if the unthinkable happened and the Thrashers had a great year?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolts View Post
As much as everyone (not singling you out, Dman) wants to vilify Kovalchuk for not signing—if the figures being thrown about are true—I think he knows he won't make more elsewhere. Simply put, he just doesn't want to play in Atlanta anymore, no matter how much money they throw at him. But make no mistake, he will make A LOT of money wherever he signs this summer.

So I at least give him credit for wanting to win (more than he's used to), and not just be highly paid.
Will be interesting as to what teams will offer him with the CBA coming up in 2012.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Huh?

If he never wanted to stay in Atlanta why did he put everyone through the big dance then?
Why didn't he say before the season I dont want to play here?
He was looking for a certain amount of money...
Did you see what they offered him?! No one is going to give him a deal for that long, he's a fool if he wanted more money for fewer years. Actions speak louder than words, if he wanted to stay there he'd have taken that deal.
Quote:
Yeah, I ultimately think LA made the right decision...
LA? Do we really know they were involved?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Too much is being made over the picks.

New Jersey gave up a #28 and #58 or thereabouts and got back a #40. And I'll bet Lou does more with the #40 than Atlanta does with both of those picks.

Pete is right. They are trying to win another cup before Marty retires. When he goes, Lou may retire with him. They have always relied on the goalie and their system to win. They don't have any game breakers because of where they have drafted and when Marty does go they are going to be facing a number of years to rebuild. For them it's win now and neither one of these pieces are going to be the building blocks of the franchise in the future.

Whether it works or not, time will tell. But this gives Jersey a real shot at beating Washington - and it kept him away from everyone else.

And I think he gets more than $10 million next year in the KHL.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
"Huh" right back at you. Why would he or any athlete go public about wanting to leave BEFORE his contract year begins?

There would be no benefit for him if he said these things before the season began, even if he did feel that way. He would be alienating the fans, and even more importantly, he would be alienating his teammates. The guys who feed him the puck so he can score his goals. Sure, the guys in the locker room may get a sense that he doesn't plan to stick around, but if he comes right out and says it, then there's no question about it.

Plus, what if the unthinkable happened and the Thrashers had a great year?
All I'm saying is don't give him credit for negotiating and turning down $101 million for 12 years..
It was a useless exercise if he's gonna turn that down..
Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

And I think he gets more than $10 million next year in the KHL.
Yepp..Cause he ain't getting it here..
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Paul Kennedy's Cue Cards

Quote:
All I'm saying is don't give him credit for negotiating and turning down $101 million for 12 years..
It was a useless exercise if he's gonna turn that down..
Except that other teams see that figure. While it won't necessarily mean that they'll offer more than they originally considered, it is possible that they'll revisit their 2010-11 budget and think about perhaps increasing it based on what he's already been offered.

One thing it WON'T do is lower the potential offers he gets this summer.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
except that other teams see that figure. While it won't necessarily mean that they'll offer more than they originally considered, it is possible that they'll revisit their 2010-11 budget and think about perhaps increasing it based on what he's already been offered.

One thing it won't do is lower the potential offers he gets this summer.
khl...
Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM
BP Staff

BTW, I applaud Waddell on adding another fine sportsman like Patrice Cormier to the Thrashers organization. He makes Downie look like Ghandi. Way to go, Donny.