BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Brodeur isn't getting any younger,
Bingo. They're trying to squeeze one more ring out of Marty.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The pertinent question -- is this a rental or a mortgage?

Giving up Bergfors for a one-time-shot like this just feels short-sighted. Perhaps an admission that the post-Brodeur era is going to be a rocky road?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Keefamania!

I heard a rumor that he thumbed his nose at $111 million over twelve years??!?! Holy crap that is insane on his part and also on the Trashers for offering that much.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Old-Skool Assassin

Kovalchuk may only turn out to be a rental but I think Atlanta got hosed. Probably was the best offer they had and Waddell had to do something but geez, losing your franchise player in a weak market for Oduya, etc.? I dunno.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Paul Kennedy's Cue Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman21 View Post
I heard a rumor that he thumbed his nose at $111 million over twelve years??!?! Holy crap that is insane on his part and also on the Trashers for offering that much.
As much as everyone (not singling you out, Dman) wants to vilify Kovalchuk for not signing—if the figures being thrown about are true—I think he knows he won't make more elsewhere. Simply put, he just doesn't want to play in Atlanta anymore, no matter how much money they throw at him. But make no mistake, he will make A LOT of money wherever he signs this summer.

So I at least give him credit for wanting to win (more than he's used to), and not just be highly paid.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBolt View Post
Why would Jersey give away Bergfors? He's like 80% as good as Kovalchuk at 10% of the price. And I agree with Sean, I'd be surprised if he resigns.
Bergfors has a whopping 27 points in 54 games and is -7...He has been getting scratched lately..

He is an avg player at best..
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
NJ obviously (to me) feels they're close to a Cup this year. That's the only thing I can come up with. No way do they cough up the kind of money Kovy will want, not going to happen. They're going for the deep playoff run.
Exactly...This is a rental..

They gave up an avg-at-best 22-year old swede, a 3-4 d man at best who's making more than he's worth and a pick around 24 or maybe 30th..
Plus, they get serviceable Salmela and probably move from 55 to 35 approximately in the second round..

I think it's an absolute steal for Lou..

Then, after the season, they clear Oduya's two years and 5-6 mil cap space from Kovy (who i think will go back to Russia)
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolts View Post
As much as everyone (not singling you out, Dman) wants to vilify Kovalchuk for not signing—if the figures being thrown about are true—I think he knows he won't make more elsewhere. Simply put, he just doesn't want to play in Atlanta anymore, no matter how much money they throw at him. But make no mistake, he will make A LOT of money wherever he signs this summer.

So I at least give him credit for wanting to win (more than he's used to), and not just be highly paid.
Huh?

If he never wanted to stay in Atlanta why did he put everyone through the big dance then?
Why didn't he say before the season I dont want to play here?
He was looking for a certain amount of money...
Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEIBolt View Post
Kovalchuk may only turn out to be a rental but I think Atlanta got hosed. Probably was the best offer they had and Waddell had to do something but geez, losing your franchise player in a weak market for Oduya, etc.? I dunno.
On the one hand, it's hard to believe he couldn't get more out of Kovy than this. On the other hand, Kovy's unsigned, teams may have seen him as a huge risk to go back to Russia and/or they wanted Waddell taking back a lot of salary so they could fit Kovy in (assuming Atlanta doesn't want that). This may have been the best fit. At least he did better than Florida with Bouwmeester.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
BP Staff

I see this as a win for Jersey, also.

Just because I don't think Bergfors is a star on his own, or will be. I think he'll be a great compliment to someone and with someone, but not someone near Kovalchuck's range.

And I don't really trust Waddell's use of that No.1.

Cormier is a big risk right now, and was projecting out to a 2/3 shut-down center. A good one mind you, but more a mean Jordan Staal than a Mike Richards.