BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
HAHAHAHAHA from the man that refuses to say anything bad about his party and only post bad things about the GOP. Take a nice hard look in the mirror pete as you are the most partisan hack on this board.
Poor troll. You can do better.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
What's the matter, afraid to admit the truth.

He and several others here have their head up the lefts butt so far that they would never speak unkind words of their leaders.

And to think they call me a sheep. Some need to take a long hard look in the mirror.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Extremely poor.

Also extremely lacking in credibility considering this is the same man who erroneously claims everyone here he disagrees with is pro welfare state.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
The Democrats flip a "safe" republican state house seat in Sarasota beating the son of Congressman Buchanan by 8%. The republican won in in 2016 by 19% and Trump won by 5%.

How safe is the district? It is gerrymandered to eliminate the black and Hispanic vote in north Sarasota. There are 12,000 more registered republicans in the district than democrats.

Before democrats get too excited. Turnout in the special election was historically high, but still only 1/2 of the turnout in 2016. So what it shows is that democrats were far more energized than republicans.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20...ate-house-race
I'm curious to know what percentage of the gains in the state races are purely anti-Trump personality responses, what are anti-Republican policy responses and what are pro-Democratic policy responses. Only 1/3 of those will have any staying power.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM
BP Staff

Statewide Republicans in Florida are swimming against the tide on two counts:

1.) The anti-Trump sentiment that is pulling against them across the country. This win in Florida in a special state legislature election comes a week after an upset D win in a blood red Missouri legislature district. Suburban districts that are reasonably affluent and well educated, in particular, are becoming the killing fields for Republican candidates, although Democrats are running better than normal pretty much everywhere.

2.) The influx of refugees from Puerto Rico has the potential to amplify the wave. They're US citizens and therefore able to vote, they're overwhelmingly Democratic in their support, and they're pissed about the Administration response to the hurricane.

If the Democrats get the Governor's mansion back in 2018, that's an ominous portent for the GOP for the presidential election in 2020. It gives a host of structural advantages to the Democrats and may give them the ability to undo some of the voter disenfranchisement shenanigans that have kept Florida artificially more of a purple state than it really is. Democrats have nearly swept the I-4 corridor now for three presidentials in a row (Trump narrowly won Pinellas, granted). On paper, that should make Florida more of a lean blue state, all things being equal.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Democrats donít lose because they are the minority party, they lose because they donít vote. Scott became governor in 2010 because of the Obama backlash, but primarily because voters in Collier County dwarfed those in Palm Beach County. If democrats vote, they win.
Not being a Democrat, I'd flip that around on you and say that Democrats don't win because they are the light beer version of the Republicans (to echo the Zeyk argument). They made a political calculated move in 92 to stave off irrelevancy, but have not course corrected since, hence the wants and desires of Capital have been catered to for the last 25 years, which has led to massive market inefficiencies, wealth inequalities, and bad incentives all over the place. No wonder most people under the age of 55 are motivated by the mainstream Democrats. Only Bernie, because he was the only one not proposing light beer versions of the bizarro Republican policies. The voters aren't wrong in their assessment of the establishment, IMO. It's not working for most people. Just Capital. Unfortunately, they chose the wrong remedy, this time.

Quote:
Bannon said that the me too movement has the ability to make republicans a minority party. I think heís right (excuse me while I throw up saying that I agree with Bannon). And to say that he and Trump are not handling this appropriately is a huge understatement.
Neither Bannon, nor Trump are wrong 100% of the time. They may get the issue, but their solutions often-times leave much to be desired, or bring along too much collateral damage to seriously consider.

Quote:
Republicans are turning off sane voters left and right, pardon the pun. Everything is cyclical. They can get them back, but in the short run, itís hard for republicans to win when they have a guy in the White House that has been accused by, what is it 17 women, of sexual harassment and who excuses a wife beater, when this has become such a huge issue throughout the country.
I'm right there with you. The Republicans have gone to governing only to their base, because their base has become completely irrational, thinking that nothing beyond complete unyielding positions is worthy of re-election. Those of us who aren't morons understand the futility of these positions, and understand the damage they are doing, so we are left with the Democrats.

Democrats are going to have to earn continued votes if they succed in rolling back the current Republican party. That is going to mean a change in policy positions to be less friendly to Capital, and more friendly to the concerns of the middle.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Michael Cohen, Trumpís personal lawyer, says that he paid $130,000 out of his own pocket to Stormy Daniels, NYT reports.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...03448305471488

Bullshit. That doesn't pass the sniff test on any plane of reality.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
I'm curious to know what percentage of the gains in the state races are purely anti-Trump personality responses, what are anti-Republican policy responses and what are pro-Democratic policy responses. Only 1/3 of those will have any staying power.
I'd be curious to know what a "Democratic Policy" is.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
I'm right there with you. The Republicans have gone to governing only to their base, because their base has become completely irrational, thinking that nothing beyond complete unyielding positions is worthy of re-election. Those of us who aren't morons understand the futility of these positions, and understand the damage they are doing, so we are left with the Democrats.
The bolded portion demonstrates that they are essentially the Sith.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:44 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
I'd be curious to know what a "Democratic Policy" is.
The status quo augmented by small scale, incrementalist progressivism on a handful of issues. That's what the Democratic Party has been for since Gore's 2000 platform. Not saying it's sexy or that I endorse such a limited vision, but the GOP's meltdown creates it's own Overton Window problem nobody's talked about. Because the GOP is essentially pro-melting down the government, we no longer have a two party system where the parties square off about ideology. There's actually nothing conservative (or liberal, or anything) about Trumpism. It's cultural tribalism applied to policy, free of the constraints of any philosophical underpinnings (or core values). So it's governance (Democrats) versus tribalism (Republicans)... and governance can exist on a pretty wide ideological playing field and still be markedly better than making policy based on tribalism, but still not ideal or even good. That's ultimately the issue with third way neoliberalism. Yeah, it sucks... but dammit all it's better than what the clowns in alt-right Trumpland are offering us. And, therein lies the rub. The inability of the GOP to keep their party on the rails is encouraging the Democrats to stray further off of theirs because there's a complete vacuum on the right for conservatives who believe in good governance.

How you build a coalition between right of center educated white folks who reject Trumpism and women and people of color is the sticky wicket. I think the simplest way may be to frame the whole thing around anti-corruption in the short term. I'm actually shocked no one in the Democratic Party hasn't focus tested and rolled out an anti-corruption platform because the Trumpites are leading with their chin on that set of issues. Maybe they're just keeping their powder dry for election season, though.