BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Brian Engblom hired to replace the chief

It's going to be different, that's for sure.

The chief and Dave will be in the studio. Joe Smith speculating that Dingman is out.

Last edited by Donnie D; 08-11-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 AM

No Dingman.

Engblom is good. Just hope we don't lose the homer factor completely.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

I wonder if this is a move for more national attention...? Thinking aloud here.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

What little real analysis that Chief provided he can easily do during intermission. A definite step-up with Engblom.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Read on Twitter the final 3 came down to Engblom, Weeks, & Billy Jaffe. If ture, Dinger didn't even make the it that far...
Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
Read on Twitter the final 3 came down to Engblom, Weeks, & Billy Jaffe. If ture, Dinger didn't even make the it that far...
Dinger would not fare well having to fill in that much air-time as a color analysts. He can get by on Intermission Reporting and Behind-the-Glass stuff, but he'd be a less articulate version of Chief as a color guy. I like him, and I hope they keep him around for glass work and intermission stuff. Kennedy needs someone like Dinger to expose PK's goofiness like his insistence on perfect enunciation of French and Russian names. With PK in charge of broadcast, I wouldn't be surprised that PK wanted him gone.

NOT A FAN of Jaffe AT ALL. Anyone coming from NESN is damaged goods in my book already.

I like Weekes, but I'm tired of the trend of goalies as color commentators. Few do it well, and Weekes might be one of the good ones, but after WAY TOO MANY YEARS of Chief, I'm ready for a different perspective. Engblom in my book is the best of the three finalists.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Very happy with the pick. Weekes would have been pretty good as well, and I wouldn't have entirely hated Jaffe either. Sorry Dinger, wish you could replace PK as a sideline guy.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I like Weekes, but I'm tired of the trend of goalies as color commentators. Few do it well, and Weekes might be one of the good ones, but after WAY TOO MANY YEARS of Chief, I'm ready for a different perspective. Engblom in my book is the best of the three finalists.
Fair enough...I have no dislike of Engblom other than he seems abit "dry" on occassion.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:37 PM

What I find interesting is the statement "in his new role, Engblom will serve as color analyst for all Lightning television broadcasts."

That would seem to indicate that he will not be leaving the local broadcasts to do national NBC games like Emrick or Olczyk. But I am guessing that he will doing some of the Lightning network games on NBC when they try and use one of the local broadcasters.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
The Lightning were able to attract a very impressive list of finalists. They obviously didn't look at getting a former player to try and learn the job like a Brian Bradley or Chris Dingman or go on the cheap. These were all folks with a strong national resume and a lot of prior broadcast experience. The fact that someone who was a Ranger's color analysis who works for Boston or a guy doing national broadcasts considered taking the job (and the latter obviously did) shows what these folks think of the Lightning organization and the future of this team.

I'm hoping that these candidates were able to extract an even higher level of telecast as part of their agreement, including a better pregame show (bye bye Paul), graphics and replays.

Last edited by Donnie D; 08-11-2015 at 02:52 PM.