BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 07-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
I disagree. I am not interested in a HF sized base of posters. And particularly the increase in trolling that inevitably comes with it. I don't see how having more posters will increase the info level here.
I said as much. There are downsides and I'm not sure that is a direction they'd want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Getting bigger also means more costs which means pressure to monetize, etc. I think this was always meant to be a labor of love and a hobby.

It's a shame it didn't work out with the Lightning but it's not like BP has necessarily needed the team anyway.
It's amazingly cheap to pay for a website. $10/month for hosting would be a very liberal amount to pay. I think the biggest issue would be how to keep up with the demands for high quality content when there is precious little to report on. It stops becoming a labor of love then like you said.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:55 PM
BP Staff

Here's the downsides to monetizing:

1.) It makes the experience less enjoyable. Nothing against the SB Nation sites, but they're so jammed up with flash/java ads that they lock up your computer half the time. There's something to be said for simplicity and ease of access to information.

2.) It drives your content. It makes the temptation to turn your site into an assembly line for clickbait, and there are obvious consequences for quality when that happens.

We've talked about it over the years. I've never been that excited to do it, simply because I've never felt like I desperately needed the money that would come along with the added pressure/responsibility.

Also, for the record, I'd love it if there was a network of sites like ours in every NHL city. I think it'd be quite a service to the sport and the league. I just don't know how you find the right people in every market. And no, I don't mind the trolls, mostly because my inner bastard is meaner than 99% of those on the hockey interwebs.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Also, for the record, I'd love it if there was a network of sites like ours in every NHL city.
This would be seriously incredible. It is quite difficult to find intelligent groups of ppl from other fan bases on the internet. Mostly they're just the idiots trolling Facebook posts, HF, or similar places.

This site is such a cut above.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

We're probably going to go with a Patreon account. Give you guys the option of flipping us a couple bucks a month to help pay for facelifts, servers, podcast equipment, etc. In exchange, we'll make available to pre-access to content or extras. Patreon is community funding alternative and more our speed than ads. Details to come.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

I'm down with that.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
We're probably going to go with a Patreon account. Give you guys the option of flipping us a couple bucks a month to help pay for facelifts, servers, podcast equipment, etc. In exchange, we'll make available to pre-access to content or extras. Patreon is community funding alternative and more our speed than ads. Details to come.
Patreon also has the added benefit of being founded by Jack Conte from Pomplamoose!