BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM
BP Staff

Default NHL Playoff Game Day and Night: 8-11-20 Blue Jackets v Lightning

Tampa Bay's finest six hours and thirteen minutes.

CBJ-2
TB-3 (5OT)

Tampa Bay Leads the Series 1-0

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed 2 goals on 63 shots for the victory. The short side goal he allowed late in the Second Period ultimately invited five overtime madness, but when you stop 63 shots in a night, you don't get the goat horns even with a softie thrown in the mix.

First Period
2:39 CBJ DuBois (4), (Texier, Jones)(PP)
6:27 TB Point (2), (Kucherov, Hedman)

Second Period
19:12 CBJ Bjorkstrand (1), (DuBois, Kukan)

Third Period
0:23 TB Gourde (1), (McDonagh, Coleman)

First Overtime
NO SCORING

Second Overtime
NO SCORING

Third Overtime
NO SCORING

Fourth Overtime
NO SCORING

Fifth Overtime
10:27 TB Point (3), (Kucherov, Sergachev)

Brayden Point was the game's second star.

Today's game started at 3:09 Eastern Daylight Time and ended at 9:22 Eastern Daylight Time, and in the time in between the Tampa Bay Lightning answered damned near every question this group has ever faced about it's toughness, resiliency, and commitment level. Victor Hedman came into this contest with a bum ankle and question marks all around. He ended up playing 57:38 of ice time including an amazing play in the fifth OT to legally track down a Blue Jacket on a breakaway just shifts before the winning goal. . There were questions about whether the Lightning could get hit in the mouth and get off the canvas. They answered allowing an opening goal under three minutes into the game and another goal late in the Second Period with tying goals within four minutes of play in both cases. And they played one of the longest games in NHL history and tilted the ice on a team that beat them senseless in last year's playoffs to such a degree that by the end of the game I believe the fancy stats said the Lightning expected goals was eight. Eight.

The way the Lightning played this game embodied a total team commitment that was championship level. Period, full stop. Shift after shift, play after play they made the smart hockey play, the hustled positionally to support each other, and they sacrificed physically to make plays to win. I'm hard-pressed to think of many times I've been prouder of a Lightning team. What was Lightning hockey when it was a gleam in Phil Esposito's eye some 29-30 years ago? Something like that, I imagine.

Hope the bubble hotel has plenty of ice to fill up bath tubs tonight. I know two teams who should be proud of their effort and will need them.

Mitchell Stephens had 6 shots, 1 hit, and 1 blocked shot in 24:02. He was also 40% on 15 draws. Welcome to playoff hockey, young man. Didn't they tell you the games would last 150+ minutes?

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...ts-v-lightning
Old 08-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Staff View Post

Tampa Bay's finest six hours and thirteen minutes.

CBJ-2
TB-3 (5OT)

Tampa Bay Leads the Series 1-0

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed 2 goals on 63 shots for the victory. The short side goal he allowed late in the Second Period ultimately invited five overtime madness, but when you stop 63 shots in a night, you don't get the goat horns even with a softie thrown in the mix.

First Period
2:39 CBJ DuBois (4), (Texier, Jones)(PP)
6:27 TB Point (2), (Kucherov, Hedman)

Second Period
19:12 CBJ Bjorkstrand (1), (DuBois, Kukan)

Third Period
0:23 TB Gourde (1), (McDonagh, Coleman)

First Overtime
NO SCORING

Second Overtime
NO SCORING

Third Overtime
NO SCORING

Fourth Overtime
NO SCORING

Fifth Overtime
10:27 TB Point (3), (Kucherov, Sergachev)

Brayden Point was the game's second star.

Today's game started at 3:09 Eastern Daylight Time and ended at 9:22 Eastern Daylight Time, and in the time in between the Tampa Bay Lightning answered damned near every question this group has ever faced about it's toughness, resiliency, and commitment level. Victor Hedman came into this contest with a bum ankle and question marks all around. He ended up playing 57:38 of ice time including an amazing play in the fifth OT to legally track down a Blue Jacket on a breakaway just shifts before the winning goal. . There were questions about whether the Lightning could get hit in the mouth and get off the canvas. They answered allowing an opening goal under three minutes into the game and another goal late in the Second Period with tying goals within four minutes of play in both cases. And they played one of the longest games in NHL history and tilted the ice on a team that beat them senseless in last year's playoffs to such a degree that by the end of the game I believe the fancy stats said the Lightning expected goals was eight. Eight.

The way the Lightning played this game embodied a total team commitment that was championship level. Period, full stop. Shift after shift, play after play they made the smart hockey play, the hustled positionally to support each other, and they sacrificed physically to make plays to win. I'm hard-pressed to think of many times I've been prouder of a Lightning team. What was Lightning hockey when it was a gleam in Phil Esposito's eye some 29-30 years ago? Something like that, I imagine.

Hope the bubble hotel has plenty of ice to fill up bath tubs tonight. I know two teams who should be proud of their effort and will need them.

Mitchell Stephens had 6 shots, 1 hit, and 1 blocked shot in 24:02. He was also 40% on 15 draws. Welcome to playoff hockey, young man. Didn't they tell you the games would last 150+ minutes?

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...ts-v-lightning
Amen...And here's the clincher to support everything said above: I did not see ONE drop pass by ANYBODY for 7 periods..Coaching and mutual accountability creates that scenario.