BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Yes it’s frustrating to see missed calls. Yes, the refs are awful. But to suggest that the league or the refs themselves are biased is a QAnon level conspiracy fantasy.

If it makes you feel any better, and I doubt it will, the seats next to me at Amalie are held by a broker and fans of the opposing teams sit iI’m them most nights. I’ve actually sat next to 2 of the 5 Panther fans. Every fan of every team thinks the refs are biased against their team. Every one of them will say that the Lightning are the league’s pet team, that they are dirty and get away with murder because Bettman wants southern teams to win.

Last edited by Donnie D; 08-04-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:18 AM
BP Staff

I'm sure it's an accident that the second that the Caps pulled within 2-1 the very next time they got any kind of zone pressure they got awarded a PP, just like I'm sure it's an accident anytime Crosby and Pittsburgh start whining for calls they start getting awarded PP's. "Superstar calls" are a function of every sport. Cripes, look at the NBA.

And if you don't think weird things happen in Montreal and Toronto from an officiating standpoint, you haven't been paying attention the last... forever. Is there a nefarious league memo codifying the NHL's bias to these teams/players? No. Doesn't mean such latent bias doesn't exist.

My point is it's never going to change. The NHL benefits, financially, from its existence, hence they have no real incentive to drive it out of the game. So I'm not interested in whining about it. Recognize the Lightning have to be miles better than the next team to win. Internalize it. Get used to it. Because it's a fact.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
LMFAO.
This board sometimes.

I guess I missed where Vasi stopped what, 5 shots cold from breakaways or Caps players that got loose for 1:1s in the paint? Yeah, he was just not nearly good enough, lol, whatever. Considering he made the first stop on both of the goals against, they just wasn't able to fully control and Washington got two greasy goals. At least one of which there were no Lightning D men around. Caps could say Holtby should have been better against the two goals we got in regulation. But then again, he only allowed one in during the skills competition. But yeah, he did everything he could to throw the game. Fuck outta here with that noise.

Beginning of the game yeah, we were running roughshod, totally dominating. And yeah, the last half we didn't do that as much. You guys are aware that Washington is a Cup winning team from two years ago, that is still really damn good, right? That had an almost identical winning percentage as us, right?

If you expect 60 minutes of domination against an AT WORST, top 6 team in the NHL, brother, I got news.

I think there is FAR too much being read into the first real game action after 5 months. FAR too much.

What I took away? Lightning looked VERY sharp at points, Defensively, looked much better than I expected. McDonagh in particular looked very good, as did Hedman. Bogo made some pretty savvy plays, although he's slower than dirt. Cernak was fine. Yeah Hagelin made some of our D look pretty slow, but Hagelin does that to, oh, 99.9% of the rest of the league.

The top line of Point/Kucherov/Palat(etc) looked really good, really dangerous, for about half of the game. I'll note this is more than the Caps top line BTW. I guess I missed where Backstrom and Ovechkin were dominating. Oh that must be because our shut down forwards shut them the fuck down. You know what wins championships? That. That wins championships.

And we did this without #1, our best goal scorer, as Stamkos was out (cue GP suggesting we trade him for 4th line grit), and with the Refs refusing to call the Caps on anything, or biggest overall weapon, #2 our Power Play.

The past is unchangeable. I'm not yet concerned about anything I've seen from the Bolts in the ONE GAME they've played for realsies.

By the way. We fucking won the game, chicken littles.
Without Carlson the Lightning should beat the Caps, comfortably, 8 times out of 10.

Take Hedman out of our lineup going the other way, and the Caps would beat the brakes off our team 8 times out of 10.

Vasiy was given his deserved due for his play overall, but those two goals were a travesty. C'mon.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 AM

And they benefit even more when southern teams win and are financially viable. The NHL will get ratings in Canada and Buffalo even when those teams arenít in the finals.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:35 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
And they benefit even more when southern teams win and are financially viable. The NHL will get ratings in Canada and Buffalo even when those teams arenít in the finals.
Bollocks. The NHL isn't popping champagne corks about a Tampa Bay Lightning Cup Final when they look at market size, media impact, etc. Anything in that ESPN Boston to New York corridor? You betcha. Anything in one of the major Canadian media markets where the game is treated with the same intensity as the NFL is covered down here in the states? You betcha.

The NHL's southern markets are to the league what the colonies were to the British Empire. Just something to exploit to pad revenues. It's sports mercantilism. Nothing more. They're never going to treat Tampa Bay as an equal partner at the table, no matter how bad ass an owner Jeff Vinik is or how many regular season games the team wins. And THAT should be damned obvious to everyone by now.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

I honestly don't know what I believe any more about the reffing. I think it's more universally bad than anything specific to teams but these particular games where we literally get zero power plays despite numerous infractions they easily should've called are insanely frustrating. I don't think it's anything intentional they're doing if there's bias involved, just that some kind of bias may exist. The refs aren't immune to the hype. They're far more likely to notice that a team expected to be elite is being hampered by an infraction than a team that's more anonymous (though arguably the Lightning deserve to be judged as an elite team, I'm not sure that's the case among officials for whatever reason). We may also have a reputation as a team that cries wolf or instigates things subtly then cries foul. Refs tend to tune that out and then miss the obvious stuff as a result.

I do agree however that the only real approach to this is to play with that chip on your shoulder that you have to beat the refs as well. That's what the 2004 team did.

Last edited by Hoek; 08-04-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Yes itís frustrating to see missed calls. Yes, the refs are awful. But to suggest that the league or the refs themselves are biased is a QAnon level conspiracy fantasy.

If it makes you feel any better, and I doubt it will, the seats next to me at Amalie are held by a broker and fans of the opposing teams sit iIím them most nights. Iíve actually sat next to 2 of the 5 Panther fans. Every fan of every team thinks the refs are biased against their team. Every one of them will say that the Lightning are the leagueís pet team, that they are dirty and get away with murder because Bettman wants southern teams to win.
To an extent. But there was a graph or stat somewhere that showed the lightning are one of the worst when their scoring chances against and penalty kills were indexed (they were also near the bottom the other way). Think it was specifically about last year. But you can't honestly watch that game yesterday and think that there wasn't at least a slight bias against tampa. That washington never did a thing to warrant a penalty.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:08 AM
BP Staff

Watch Cooperís press conference last night and the final question from Joe Smith. They know. They know the officiating may be BS on any given night. Itís known.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:26 AM

I think there is a little bit of human element at work where the refs might favor certain teams a bit more. I definitely donít think there is some kind of secret mandate to get particular teams to win though.

The real problem is the refs donít call postseason the same, and that has a bigger impact on us more than others. They get antsy about making calls, and that I donít think is arguable.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM

The Rangers better home the home crowd helps this evening or theY will be the first team leaving the bubble