BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1821  
Old 08-01-2020, 02:41 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,161
Default

Because of Trump in my lifetime I will never vote for someone that has no administrative experience. I wasn’t happy when he won, but I don’t think anyone could have expected the level of incompetence we got. And no, I do not think he is the exception
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
  #1822  
Old 08-01-2020, 03:16 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Because of Trump in my lifetime I will never vote for someone that has no administrative experience. I wasn’t happy when he won, but I don’t think anyone could have expected the level of incompetence we got. And no, I do not think he is the exception
I've worked for a person exactly like Trump and I can tell you, fortunately, these kind of people are rare. He's got psychological problems that 99% of people don't have, and I knew from the beginning how terrible this was going to turn out.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29
Reply With Quote
  #1823  
Old 08-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 10,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Because of Trump in my lifetime I will never vote for someone that has no administrative experience. I wasn’t happy when he won, but I don’t think anyone could have expected the level of incompetence we got. And no, I do not think he is the exception
Obama had no administrative experience. Kennedy’s only administrative experience was being the captain of a PT board.
__________________
"In 2016, there were Republicans concerned about the 'reality show' president, but in 2020, there are Republicans concerned about the reality of the president,”
Reply With Quote
  #1824  
Old 08-01-2020, 05:49 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Obama had no administrative experience. Kennedy’s only administrative experience was being the captain of a PT board.
They didn't have executive experience. They each had plenty of administrative experience from many years of being part of the legislative branch, they understood how legislation worked, how to conduct themselves, and the pitfalls of governance.
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
  #1825  
Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,902
Default

Despite Saturday's usual reporting lull, there were still 1,123 deaths reported today. Texas and Florida still reporting the highest numbers of fatalities.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We're at 157,898 now, which I imagine means we'll break 160,000 by Tuesday given Sunday's and Monday's typically report lighter.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29
Reply With Quote
  #1826  
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 PM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 5,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
She’d help the Democratic Party win in a landslide, no doubt, but it’s not responsible stewardship to vote for her. The candidate can’t just have her identity going for her and nothing else, not as VP. Line in the sand for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
You would vote for Trump if Michelle O was nominated as VP? GTFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Reading comprehension is hard I guess, I did not say that.
I think in the context of the discussion that 'line in the sand for me' can be reasonably assumed to mean you wouldn't vote in support of her which of course means you wouldn't vote for the person who picked her as their VP choice. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #1827  
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 5,087
Default

As a feminist, I find it borderline offensive to suggest MO isn’t qualified. Forget the very simple math of contextualizing her impact on this years race (here’s a low-key hint: she would absolutely electrify the female vote and the black vote). Forget comparing her experience and bonafides to Trump or even as First Lady. She’s brilliant on her own two feet.

She went to Princeton and Harvard, was an associate dean at UChicago, VP of community and external affairs at UChicago Med. She’s been a key figure in two presidential campaigns and delivered a national convention keynote speech. This is just the Wikipedia surface level poop. And, like Barack, she’s among our most gifted orators.

You’ve made several cogent points, Schmitzy, but US politics are about winning and leading. She can absolutely do both. She’d be a fantastic president too, BTW. As a parent of a 6yo and 4yo, yes, I want to live this world where our leaders for the next 12-16 years are good, smart, and more than competent. Don’t you? Is there someone better to make that future happen from where we currently stand?

It’s probably a meaningless exercise to debate it, however, seeing as how she most definitely has been approached and almost certain has already said no thanks. If she were still on the list of contenders, there wouldn’t be a list of contenders (and therefore no reason to make such a big show of vetting the others).
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU

Last edited by Bolthed; 08-01-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1828  
Old 08-02-2020, 12:34 AM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I think in the context of the discussion that 'line in the sand for me' can be reasonably assumed to mean you wouldn't vote in support of her which of course means you wouldn't vote for the person who picked her as their VP choice. Am I wrong?
Over the past couple of days several people have said they wouldn't endorse Bass, you didn't accuse them of not wanting to vote for Biden.

Over the past couple of years I have strongly been against anyone wanting to vote for Trump, yet somehow you arrived at the conclusion that I would.

There is no context in this discussion that says that me not endorsing Michelle is a vote for Trump or a no-vote for Biden, reasonable or otherwise, so yes you are wrong.
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
  #1829  
Old 08-02-2020, 12:58 AM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 5,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
There is no context in this discussion that says that me not endorsing Michelle is a vote for Trump or a no-vote for Biden, reasonable or otherwise, so yes you are wrong.
When you say you 'draw a line in the sand' I assume that means you won't support them. I took that to mean the entire ticket, not just MO.
Reply With Quote
  #1830  
Old 08-02-2020, 01:16 AM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
As a feminist, I find it borderline offensive to suggest MO isn’t qualified. Forget the very simple math of contextualizing her impact on this years race (here’s a low-key hint: she would absolutely electrify the female vote and the black vote). Forget comparing her experience and bonafides to Trump or even as First Lady. She’s brilliant on her own two feet.

She went to Princeton and Harvard, was an associate dean at UChicago, VP of community and external affairs at UChicago Med. She’s been a key figure in two presidential campaigns and delivered a national convention keynote speech. This is just the Wikipedia surface level poop. And, like Barack, she’s among our most gifted orators.

You’ve made several cogent points, Schmitzy, but US politics are about winning and leading. She can absolutely do both. She’d be a fantastic president too, BTW. As a parent of a 6yo and 4yo, yes, I want to live this world where our leaders for the next 12-16 years are good, smart, and more than competent. Don’t you? Is there someone better to make that future happen from where we currently stand?

It’s probably a meaningless exercise to debate it, however, seeing as how she most definitely has been approached and almost certain has already said no thanks. If she were still on the list of contenders, there wouldn’t be a list of contenders (and therefore no reason to make such a big show of vetting the others).
Michael Jordan has some great accolades too, but like you pointed out, this is US politics. Her greatest real title was by appointment, to VP of a community outreach branch of a college. Are you really offended that some people(or just me?) don't find that as substantial qualification to be VPOTUS?

I agree with your characterization of her, but this isn't a zero sum game between Michelle and Trump. I want someone like her, of course. I also want that person to actually be qualified in the other areas that matter, like good governance. That could be her, but it isn't now, and luckily there are better candidates.
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.