BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 08-01-2020, 02:41 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Because of Trump in my lifetime I will never vote for someone that has no administrative experience. I wasn’t happy when he won, but I don’t think anyone could have expected the level of incompetence we got. And no, I do not think he is the exception
Old 08-01-2020, 03:16 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Because of Trump in my lifetime I will never vote for someone that has no administrative experience. I wasn’t happy when he won, but I don’t think anyone could have expected the level of incompetence we got. And no, I do not think he is the exception
I've worked for a person exactly like Trump and I can tell you, fortunately, these kind of people are rare. He's got psychological problems that 99% of people don't have, and I knew from the beginning how terrible this was going to turn out.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Obama had no administrative experience. Kennedy’s only administrative experience was being the captain of a PT board.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Obama had no administrative experience. Kennedy’s only administrative experience was being the captain of a PT board.
They didn't have executive experience. They each had plenty of administrative experience from many years of being part of the legislative branch, they understood how legislation worked, how to conduct themselves, and the pitfalls of governance.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 PM
BP Staff

Despite Saturday's usual reporting lull, there were still 1,123 deaths reported today. Texas and Florida still reporting the highest numbers of fatalities.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We're at 157,898 now, which I imagine means we'll break 160,000 by Tuesday given Sunday's and Monday's typically report lighter.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
She’d help the Democratic Party win in a landslide, no doubt, but it’s not responsible stewardship to vote for her. The candidate can’t just have her identity going for her and nothing else, not as VP. Line in the sand for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
You would vote for Trump if Michelle O was nominated as VP? GTFO.
Quote:
Reading comprehension is hard I guess, I did not say that.
I think in the context of the discussion that 'line in the sand for me' can be reasonably assumed to mean you wouldn't vote in support of her which of course means you wouldn't vote for the person who picked her as their VP choice. Am I wrong?
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 PM

As a feminist, I find it borderline offensive to suggest MO isn’t qualified. Forget the very simple math of contextualizing her impact on this years race (here’s a low-key hint: she would absolutely electrify the female vote and the black vote). Forget comparing her experience and bonafides to Trump or even as First Lady. She’s brilliant on her own two feet.

She went to Princeton and Harvard, was an associate dean at UChicago, VP of community and external affairs at UChicago Med. She’s been a key figure in two presidential campaigns and delivered a national convention keynote speech. This is just the Wikipedia surface level poop. And, like Barack, she’s among our most gifted orators.

You’ve made several cogent points, Schmitzy, but US politics are about winning and leading. She can absolutely do both. She’d be a fantastic president too, BTW. As a parent of a 6yo and 4yo, yes, I want to live this world where our leaders for the next 12-16 years are good, smart, and more than competent. Don’t you? Is there someone better to make that future happen from where we currently stand?

It’s probably a meaningless exercise to debate it, however, seeing as how she most definitely has been approached and almost certain has already said no thanks. If she were still on the list of contenders, there wouldn’t be a list of contenders (and therefore no reason to make such a big show of vetting the others).

Last edited by Bolthed; 08-01-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I think in the context of the discussion that 'line in the sand for me' can be reasonably assumed to mean you wouldn't vote in support of her which of course means you wouldn't vote for the person who picked her as their VP choice. Am I wrong?
Over the past couple of days several people have said they wouldn't endorse Bass, you didn't accuse them of not wanting to vote for Biden.

Over the past couple of years I have strongly been against anyone wanting to vote for Trump, yet somehow you arrived at the conclusion that I would.

There is no context in this discussion that says that me not endorsing Michelle is a vote for Trump or a no-vote for Biden, reasonable or otherwise, so yes you are wrong.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
There is no context in this discussion that says that me not endorsing Michelle is a vote for Trump or a no-vote for Biden, reasonable or otherwise, so yes you are wrong.
When you say you 'draw a line in the sand' I assume that means you won't support them. I took that to mean the entire ticket, not just MO.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
As a feminist, I find it borderline offensive to suggest MO isn’t qualified. Forget the very simple math of contextualizing her impact on this years race (here’s a low-key hint: she would absolutely electrify the female vote and the black vote). Forget comparing her experience and bonafides to Trump or even as First Lady. She’s brilliant on her own two feet.

She went to Princeton and Harvard, was an associate dean at UChicago, VP of community and external affairs at UChicago Med. She’s been a key figure in two presidential campaigns and delivered a national convention keynote speech. This is just the Wikipedia surface level poop. And, like Barack, she’s among our most gifted orators.

You’ve made several cogent points, Schmitzy, but US politics are about winning and leading. She can absolutely do both. She’d be a fantastic president too, BTW. As a parent of a 6yo and 4yo, yes, I want to live this world where our leaders for the next 12-16 years are good, smart, and more than competent. Don’t you? Is there someone better to make that future happen from where we currently stand?

It’s probably a meaningless exercise to debate it, however, seeing as how she most definitely has been approached and almost certain has already said no thanks. If she were still on the list of contenders, there wouldn’t be a list of contenders (and therefore no reason to make such a big show of vetting the others).
Michael Jordan has some great accolades too, but like you pointed out, this is US politics. Her greatest real title was by appointment, to VP of a community outreach branch of a college. Are you really offended that some people(or just me?) don't find that as substantial qualification to be VPOTUS?

I agree with your characterization of her, but this isn't a zero sum game between Michelle and Trump. I want someone like her, of course. I also want that person to actually be qualified in the other areas that matter, like good governance. That could be her, but it isn't now, and luckily there are better candidates.