BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 08-01-2020, 09:19 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I donít mind Duckworth, but would prefer Whitmer.

You donít need to take people out of the senate to fill cabinet jobs. Warren would be an awful choice because the Republican Governor would appoint a Republican to take her place in the senate.
Thereís ways to minimize that issue, and the loser of the Markey/Kennedy primary would probably be a sure bet in the special election.

If Warren moves over to the Executive, Iíd make her Chief of Staff, though.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
You would vote for Trump if Michelle O was nominated as VP? GTFO.
Reading comprehension is hard I guess, I did not say that. Who I would want for VP has to be someone who has been in an administrative role in public office at some point in their life to be considered. I would still vote for the Biden ticket, at worst I wouldnít vote at all. Itís all moot since that parlor trick isnít on the table
Old 08-01-2020, 11:33 AM

Not endorsing Michelle is not the same as not voting for the Biden ticket, the distinction should go without explanation. We don't need Michelle on the ticket to win the presidency, those who want her on the ticket want to win in a landslide to sweep up all of the legislative seats. I get it, but I think that's putting party above country, that's not a deal I want to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The Vice President’s Constitutional roles begin and end with casting tie breaking votes in the Senate and being on standby in case the POTUS is incapacitated. That’s the extent of the formal job responsibilities, which is to say 99% of the time it’s just window dressing. Now, obviously recent VP’s like Gore, Cheney, and Biden have been delegated more expansive roles in governing, but it’s by definition more of a political job than a governing job.

And if you’re telling me, politically, Michelle Obama can unlock that last bit of political juice that ends the threat of fascist right wing authoritarianism from taking over America in my lifetime that has been ascendant since the aftermath of 9/11 and crescendoed to kids in cages, tear gassing priests to clear Lafayette Square for a creepy Bible photo op, and using militarized federal secret police to abduct peaceful protestors and spy on journalists in Portland, then I’ll overlook her light credentials and give her the benefit of the doubt she can learn on the job. Because, in case you all haven’t been paying attention to me the last six months, I’m dead serious about how terrifying the Republican Party’s devolution into an overtly anti-democratic and racist institution has been over the last 20 years is to me. We are damned lucky that Trump and Kushner and the rest of that gaggle are too stupid to pull off what they’ve been trying to pull off, because if they were just 10% more competent, they might’ve succeeded and I’d be in that cell at the concentration camp arguing with Zeyk right now.
Pete a few posts ago you were just talking about how you were worried about Biden making it into a second term because he was pushing 80. The VP is window dressing, but that's because they need their plate clean in the event of an emergency.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:45 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Pete a few posts ago you were just talking about how you were worried about Biden making it into a second term because he was pushing 80. The VP is window dressing, but that's because they need their plate clean in the event of an emergency.
It's a fair concern. For me, it's one that's mitigated by the fact that: 1.) I think the experience you get as an active/engaged FLOTUS is wildly underrated, and for instance, Woodrow Wilson and Ronald Reagan's wives essentially ran the Executive Branch along with their staffs in the waning years of their presidencies, 2.) My appraisal of Michelle is that she's more than up to the challenge intellectually of learning on the job, 3.) If she gets in trouble, there's worse positions to be in than to be able to turn to Barack and say, "What would you do?" (See #1), 4.) It's unlikely Biden's going to go full William Harrison and croak 31 days into his presidency.

So the risk is not that high to me given the reward.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:47 AM

I don't like it mostly because it's a bad precedent to pander that nakedly (and the last thing we need is to continue to turn politics into a celebrity contest IMO), and it could backfire if she goofs in a debate or something. I do think she'd be capable of being a competent VP with some learning on the job.

Last edited by Hoek; 08-01-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:56 AM
BP Staff

Politics already is a popularity contest. There's a reality TV star sitting at the Resolute Desk right now, and some political scientists will tell you that Name ID and an established brand are now prerequisite to the job (hence, they argue, why nobody other than Biden or Sanders really moved the needle much in the Democratic primaries).

I don't like dynastic politics that much either, but that precedent has long been set (the Kennedy's and Bush's say hi).
Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It's a fair concern. For me, it's one that's mitigated by the fact that: 1.) I think the experience you get as an active/engaged FLOTUS is wildly underrated, and for instance, Woodrow Wilson and Ronald Reagan's wives essentially ran the Executive Branch along with their staffs in the waning years of their presidencies, 2.) My appraisal of Michelle is that she's more than up to the challenge intellectually of learning on the job, 3.) If she gets in trouble, there's worse positions to be in than to be able to turn to Barack and say, "What would you do?" (See #1), 4.) It's unlikely Biden's going to go full William Harrison and croak 31 days into his presidency.

So the risk is not that high to me given the reward.
If Barack were tied to her at the hip and allowed into every briefing room, summit, or back door meeting she'd have to go to, I'd be more bullish about the idea. I mean it wouldn't send a great signal to those fighting against the optics of patriarchy but it would be effective.

If we are serious about making her VP or President, I'd prefer she ran for a lesser office and down the line try for the nomination.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:06 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
If Barack were tied to her at the hip and allowed into every briefing room, summit, or back door meeting she'd have to go to, I'd be more bullish about the idea. I mean it wouldn't send a great signal to those fighting against the optics of patriarchy but it would be effective.

If we are serious about making her VP or President, I'd prefer she ran for a lesser office and down the line try for the nomination.
Governance-wise, I agree.

Politically, it makes her almost bulletproof because she has no record or even established policy positions to attack beyond, "Eat your vegetables and workout." It's why a lot of people think governors are in a better position to run for higher office than legislators, except on steroids.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Governance-wise, I agree.

Politically, it makes her almost bulletproof because she has no record or even established policy positions to attack beyond, "Eat your vegetables and workout." It's why a lot of people think governors are in a better position to run for higher office than legislators, except on steroids.
Based on the 2016 election and Trump, 100%
Old 08-01-2020, 01:45 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Based on the 2016 election and Trump, 100%
And Trump was allowed to take 16 different positions on every issue with impunity. So really really naive voters believed Trump would, for instance, have a health care policy that meant universal coverage even though his only tangible position was really repealing the ACA.