BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Rays 2014

New season, new thread.

Rays just signed Archer to a 6 year deal with two club options. I love the way the Rays do things. They only give long contracts to young talented players who have "intangibles" i.e. want to stick around and perform well.

I know there are max contracts in the NHL now, but this would be the equivalent to signing Palat and TJ to 8 year contracts for 3-4 million per year. I'd be doing cartwheels.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
New season, new thread.

Rays just signed Archer to a 6 year deal with two club options. I love the way the Rays do things. They only give long contracts to young talented players who have "intangibles" i.e. want to stick around and perform well.

I know there are max contracts in the NHL now, but this would be the equivalent to signing Palat and TJ to 8 year contracts for 3-4 million per year. I'd be doing cartwheels.
It's going to be a lot more prevalent soon seeing these long term deals like Archer received. Most the time the player will sign the long term deal while they are young so they can make 7 to 8 times more money then if they were in pre-arbitration making barely above league minimum. Even if it doesn't work out there is very little risk and you can trade them relatively easy (like Wade Davis). Starting off 1-2 isn't ideal but when the bats come around they'll be fine.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Now Cobb is out 4-6 weeks.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseb...-weeks/2174964
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Cooper's Law

60% of the starting rotation ... poof!

Did the Rays hire the Gators' trainers?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM

Not only that, but our top fill in option Colome was suspended for 50 games for horse steroids (yes you read that right..HORSE STEROIDS...). I'm hoping that the Rays give Mike Montgomery a chance. 0.90 ERA in two starts for Durham and was once considered the Royals top prospect (even over Myers). Lefty with a good fastball and good secondary pitches.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Enrico Ciccone's Blimpie Sub

Question from a fan who really only pays attention after the Bolts season is over: Whatever happened to Jeff Niemann? Did they trade him, or just not re-sign him? Or is he now on the 15 year DL?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Question from a fan who really only pays attention after the Bolts season is over: Whatever happened to Jeff Niemann? Did they trade him, or just not re-sign him? Or is he now on the 15 year DL?
Technically he is a free agent. He had shoulder surgery in April of last year which typically take 12-15 months for a pitcher. Assuming that he's ready by June, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rays offered him a minor league deal, and if he proves he can still be effective then they might put him in the rotation if Moore is out all year for Tommy John surgery.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

How about that kid they traded for, Karns?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Besides Ramos and Bedard, who IMO are suited for the bullpen and not starting, Karns is most likely the one to be called up to start. Looked good during spring and the two times I seen him, was hitting 95-98 on his fastball. Some control issues, which are to be expected with any power pitcher but the Rays are really high on him developing at best into a 3-4 starter or at worse a big bullpen arm. At this time next week, I'm going to assume the starting 5 in the rotation will be: Price, Karns, Archer, Odorizzi, Bedard
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Enrico Ciccone's Blimpie Sub

Nice doubleheader sweep after the nonsense Boston pulled.
Is it possible for me to hate Boston sports teams more? I'm not sure how.
Is it sweet to stick a knife in any Boston team's ribs? Yes. Yes it is.