BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

It really wouldn't make any sense for Ottawa not to trade him before the season begins. They would be one potential injury away from getting nothing for him at all. I think the deal will happen after all the RFA's sign so all the teams know where their actual cap situation is at.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Where is the information saying that the trade is off?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Cooper's Law

There is none, DD. It’s just a poster saying that all is quiet and it seems like it won’t happen.

But the longer this drags out the worse it is for Ottawa. And really, the better it is for Tampa Bay. It points to the Bolts as his preferred destination, which would explain why other teams (remember, several were given permission to negotiate an extension) aren’t offering enough. Read the tea leaves and it sure looks like the only holdup is Ottawa’s owner accepting the sad reality that the Lightning is the only team with an extension in place and therefore the best offer. Melnyk will eventually realize he has no better choice. He’s under immense pressure and he might lose his franchise, but keeping a lame-duck UFA-to-be Karlsson would be insanity.

"Bad news. The Lightning already ARE the Sharks."
Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 AM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
There is none, DD. It’s just a poster saying that all is quiet and it seems like it won’t happen.

But the longer this drags out the worse it is for Ottawa. And really, the better it is for Tampa Bay. It points to the Bolts as his preferred destination, which would explain why other teams (remember, several were given permission to negotiate an extension) aren’t offering enough. Read the tea leaves and it sure looks like the only holdup is Ottawa’s owner accepting the sad reality that the Lightning is the only team with an extension in place and therefore the best offer. Melnyk will eventually realize he has no better choice. He’s under immense pressure and he might lose his franchise, but keeping a lame-duck UFA-to-be Karlsson would be insanity.
Assuming this is true...and I believe it has merit, what would the price be to Ottawa and the Rangers (assuming again)?

Also, with the cap issues...maybe it's the second team that has the leverage...maybe Ottawa agreed to say Foote, Stephen's and a pick, but the Rangers want too much for SFY to pull the trigger? Maybe it's the TOTAL cost that has SY hesitant to do this now, instead of waiting till next off season...

Last thought, because the Rangers have the contingency 1st rounder next year...could that be an issue somehow?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 PM

If anything that contingency should make the Rangers want to help us more. If we win the cup it gets better for them.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
If anything that contingency should make the Rangers want to help us more. If we win the cup it gets better for them.
Would be like the 31st it 32nd pick, right? Doesn't seem like that's enough to me
..they are going to want more....

I worry Vegas could swoop in and grab Karlsson for one year...why not...they have all kinds of room, picks...if Ottawa doesn't get enough from us, could Vegas put together an offer better? Hell, they were in the finals...they were close....its Vegas Baby...could roll the dice on one year deal and hope to court Karlsson long term...just throwing stuff out there...

Last edited by Kizman; 07-17-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
Would be like the 31st it 32nd pick, right? Doesn't seem like that's enough to me
..they are going to want more....

I worry Vegas could swoop in and grab Karlsson for one year...why not...they have all kinds of room, picks...if Ottawa doesn't get enough from us, could Vegas put together an offer better? Hell, they were in the finals...they were close....its Vegas Baby...could roll the dice on one year deal and hope to court Karlsson long term...just throwing stuff out there...
It would go from a 2nd round pick to a 1st round pick, so a swing of up to 30 places.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
It would go from a 2nd round pick to a 1st round pick, so a swing of up to 30 places.
I get that...but they already get that if we win cup...I think they would want significantly north of that to make a deal...like a top 3-4 prospect...and maybe an additional pick or prospect... Who knows...what the hell do I know...just thinking it through from what I see/hear/read
Old 07-17-2018, 09:00 PM

I would think that part of the price of assistance would be that they get the first round pick regardless of our finish.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

If you are getting someone to take the full Callahan contract, it will cost a significant asset. Hypothetically, I could see a deal looking something like this:

To Tampa:
Karlsson + signed contract extension

To Ottawa:
Sergachev
2020 1st round pick
Mid-range forward prospect with upside (maybe Verhaeghe)

To Third Team:
Callahan full contract
High-level prospect (maybe Stephens)