BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
Malone's NMC expires after this year. I don't remember what his actual salary is for next year but it is much lower than the cap hit. IMO he's on his way out, whether now or at the draft I'd be shocked if he's here next year.
Malone has 2 seasons left on his contract after this year -- both years with an actual salary of $2.5M and a cap hit of $4.5M. His NMC expires after this season, and then morphs into a modified NTC in which he can provide a 12-team list that he'd agree to be traded to. Although, with an NTC, the GM has the threat of the Barrie-Boyle Maneuver* to leverage a non-cooperative player to agree to a trade. An NMC protects a player from the Barrie-Boyle Maneuver.

On the one hand, $2.5M salary is a steal for Malone, even an injured Malone. On the other hand, if you are moving in the direction of a youth movement with your organization, the savings of the $4.5M salary cap might be better spent with other more reliable vets.

*The Barrie-Boyle Maneuver is the threat by a GM/owner to expose a player to waivers and reassignment to the minors with the express purpose of giving the player a choice of trade or be claimed off waivers by the worst team in the league.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Johnny Shortside

I wouldn't rule out Malone (if healthy) being traded, with his NMC he controls where he goes and if he is smart he would agree to waive it.

Specifically so as you mentioned tim, he doesn't have to worry about the Barrie-Boyle maneuver.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Cooper's Law

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/0...n-his-way-out/

More on what it might take to get an actual goalie in Ryan Miller: Conacher ("pipe dream") or Killorn. I'd do the latter in a heartbeat
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Malone has 2 seasons left on his contract after this year -- both years with an actual salary of $2.5M and a cap hit of $4.5M. His NMC expires after this season, and then morphs into a modified NTC in which he can provide a 12-team list that he'd agree to be traded to. Although, with an NTC, the GM has the threat of the Barrie-Boyle Maneuver* to leverage a non-cooperative player to agree to a trade. An NMC protects a player from the Barrie-Boyle Maneuver.

On the one hand, $2.5M salary is a steal for Malone, even an injured Malone. On the other hand, if you are moving in the direction of a youth movement with your organization, the savings of the $4.5M salary cap might be better spent with other more reliable vets.

*The Barrie-Boyle Maneuver is the threat by a GM/owner to expose a player to waivers and reassignment to the minors with the express purpose of giving the player a choice of trade or be claimed off waivers by the worst team in the league.
I'd honestly target the Islanders to dump Malone. He'd probably help their forward makeup, and they need help with reaching the cap floor most years (look what they did with Thomas), especially if DiPietro goes bye-bye this summer.

Plus, Malone's injury history might be viewed as a positive by Snow-Wang
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

TSN says Ryan Miller has submitted a list of 8 teams he doesnt want to be traded to. I guess something's really brewing there.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Well this should end the Marty "rumors"

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/2...ouis-lightning
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2013/0...n-his-way-out/

More on what it might take to get an actual goalie in Ryan Miller: Conacher ("pipe dream") or Killorn. I'd do the latter in a heartbeat
I would trade neither of those guys for Miller. I'd probably move Conacher before Killorn, even. Too important to the young core.

Granted, I think Miller would be a great stopgap solution to when Lindy / Vasya are ready to shoulder the load, as he's a legit #1. You aren't going to steal him Shero-Feaster style, but I'd rather not pay through the nose for him.

Buffalo is in a shitty spot in that Miller controls his destiny somewhat. Buffalo also needs defense more than forwards, probably. They could also use a G prospect as the jury's out on Enroth as well. Shame Tic wasn't traded for an AHLer; otherwise, he might have been part of a deal the Sabres would take.

I think Brewer would look good in the "slug" uniform
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM
BP Staff

Killorn is a superior prospect to Conacher. I would not give up Alex for Miller. I probably would give up Cory if I got Miller to a long term deal.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Killorn is a superior prospect to Conacher. I would not give up Alex for Miller. I probably would give up Cory if I got Miller to a long term deal.
thank you. was about to post the same. by the way I think johnson is a better prospect, too.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM
BP Staff

To further elaborate on that thought... Johnson's excellent debut probably makes Conacher a little bit redundant. There's only so many smurfs you can have, and IMO Johnson's looked like the better of the two smurfs so far.

Plus, Buffalo will surely overpay for Conacher because of where he went to school.