BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 AM
Keefamania!

Until further notice, I'd rather not hear any aspersions cast toward Schenn.

I am in total agreement with this! Last year and some time before and after we have done nothing to address the lack of "toughness" on this team. We finally do that and then complain about penalties. I'm good with a penalty as long as people aren't taking extra whacks at Vasi like Malkin did and then got a mouthful from Schenn. I'll be good with him doing that all game. I'm tired of us being pushed around and Schenn is trying to alleviate some of that.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:26 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Personally I still think it makes a ton more sense to mask schenn with hedman and let cernak work with coburn.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:22 AM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

I agree Schenn has been a difference maker of late...better then I would of thought or expected.

That being said, he has been traded and released many times so, it's hard to know if this play will be sustained.

One thing I wonder is if he can limit the penalties that come with that aggressiveness. Would be nice to have some of this in playoffs with Maroon, Paquette and Cernak bringing it...and throw in some Yanni on top...
Old 02-12-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
I agree Schenn has been a difference maker of late...better then I would of thought or expected.

That being said, he has been traded and released many times so, it's hard to know if this play will be sustained.

One thing I wonder is if he can limit the penalties that come with that aggressiveness. Would be nice to have some of this in playoffs with Maroon, Paquette and Cernak bringing it...and throw in some Yanni on top...
Schenn has evolved his game, not having an adequate first pass and play away from the puck is what got him cut in the past, but he's much better now.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Schenn has evolved his game, not having an adequate first pass and play away from the puck is what got him cut in the past, but he's much better now.
Confused. If all that is true, why did they place him on waivers like 2 weeks ago? He wasn't playing anywhere...so where did this improvement come from?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:13 PM

He was put on waivers for salary cap relief.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
He was put on waivers for salary cap relief.
Ok. So was the savings worth the possibility of having him claimed?

Seems like he's a different player then before. Is this simply newfound motivation or is it a short term bump in overall production that will fade?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
Ok. So was the savings worth the possibility of having him claimed?

Seems like he's a different player then before. Is this simply newfound motivation or is it a short term bump in overall production that will fade?
Probably the latter. Hes 750 games into his NHL career.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:21 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

I would submit that he is playing with teammates that, as a group, are head and shoulders above any group he has been with before. Only two of the teams he played with in the last 10 years even made the playoffs--thats eight years playing on non-playoff teams. You can say his first passes have improved and they have, but look who he's got to look up for and pass to? Improvement doesn't happen in a vacuum, and he's seen what his role can be--and I'm liking it ALOT.

Last edited by Puckhead; 02-12-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:32 PM
Cooper's Law

He's playing in a pretty sheltered role, but he definitely looked more comfortable last night which is probably to be expected after being a healthy scratch for over a month. I don't foresee him being a guy that will play in any meaningful (playoffs) games, but he's a solid depth option and knows his role. It's a nice luxury that our #7 and 8 defensemen have over 1700 games of NHL experience combined.