BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 05-18-2020, 02:52 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I dunno I saw like 8 goals in two matches so I didn't find it that boring. I've seen closed doors matches and poorly attended minor league games before so the lack of fans wasn't as much of a shock to me.

The only part I didn't get was the celebration restrictions. I mean, on corners and free kicks everyone is draped on each other anyway what's the big deal about celebrating together?
I didn't have any problem with the empty stadiums either. Then again, I was so hard up the past two weekends I was watching the FIFA e-gaming tournament on FS1 that Atlanta United's team won.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

It was more the echoes in the stadiums that got to me, hopefully they put tarps down in the lower bowl to help dampen that. Would also give them something to print sponsors on to keep them happy at the moment.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:12 PM
BP Staff

Tarps probably aren't enough, acoustically, and what they'd need to do is probably not something they'd be willing to spend scant financial resources on under the circumstances.

I thought it really put the pressure on the play-by-play and color to fill every single second of air they could.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:01 PM

Yeah, I don't think tarps would do much. The boomy sound that arenas have is from the sound bouncing back down off the roof and walls. That's why you always go to a concert at an amphitheater if you can, rather than an arena; the sound is much clearer.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:23 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

So was Fox pumping in the crowd noise at Der Klassikar today or was that Dortmund? It was just weird, as if you couldn’t see 80,000 empty seats.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:05 PM
BP Staff

July 9 MLS will return with a tournament to be held in Orlando. Winner of the tournament gets an automatic berth in CONCACAF Champions League. After conclusion of the tournament, the plan is to play what's left of the season schedule and then hold MLS Cup. Every team played 2 games before the COVID-19 stoppage, so it works I guess.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
July 9 MLS will return with a tournament to be held in Orlando. Winner of the tournament gets an automatic berth in CONCACAF Champions League. After conclusion of the tournament, the plan is to play what's left of the season schedule and then hold MLS Cup. Every team played 2 games before the COVID-19 stoppage, so it works I guess.
I have yet to see actual confirmation but is "what's left of the season" considered games originally scheduled that would have taken place on the calendar after the tournament?
Old 06-11-2020, 02:08 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
I have yet to see actual confirmation but is "what's left of the season" considered games originally scheduled that would have taken place on the calendar after the tournament?
I think I read somewhere else they are going to re-do the schedule.

I forget if the draw for the tournament is happening today or tomorrow at 3:30 pm. Orlando, Atlanta, Toronto, Seattle, LAFC, and SLC are top seeded in the six groups.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:18 PM
BP Staff

Draw results:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-is-bac...oup-stage-draw

Top two in each group advance to the knockout stage along with the four best third place finishers.

GROUP A
Orlando City SC
Inter Miami CF
New York City FC
Philadelphia Union
Chicago Fire FC
Nashville SC

I would figure NYCFC and Philly would be the favorites to advance. I'll throw Orlando a bone and say they advance, too.

GROUP B
Seattle Sounders FC
FC Dallas
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
San Jose Earthquakes

I'd lay my money on Seattle and Dallas.

GROUP C
Toronto FC
New England Revolution
Montreal Impact
D.C. United

Toronto and...??? Probably DC.

GROUP D
Real Salt Lake
Sporting Kansas City
Colorado Rapids
Minnesota United FC

RSL and SKC. I'll pick Minny to advance too.

GROUP E
Atlanta United FC
FC Cincinnati
New York Red Bulls
Columbus Crew SC

Is a tough group with Cincy playing the role of sacrifical lamb/spoiler. I'd bet on the other three advancing.

GROUP F
LAFC
LA Galaxy
Houston Dynamo
Portland Timbers FC

Another really tough group, IMO. LAFC is the big dog, but I'd bet on Galaxy and Timbers still advancing.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:04 AM

The whole tournament is gonna come down to depth, something Orlando doesn't really have. If they get out of the group stage I'll be kinda surprised.