BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-31-2019, 04:46 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Once you waive a NMC it disappears forever.

FWIW the NHL story that day stated:

Hextall said Filppula is a player he's coveted for a number of seasons, and was willing to take on his $5 million salary-cap number for next season and a no-movement clause that means he must be protected in the expansion draft. Philadelphia’s expansion draft protected list included Filppula with the notation (NMC).

So the NMC wasn’t waived as part of the trade and the AP was incorrect.
I've actually seen it said it is up to the team that is trading for the player as to if they retain the NMC/NTC after the trade. I've tried quick-searching the CBA and I can't find anything covering that. Honestly even if Filppula waives, he waived from a non-playoff team, and I don't think 1 example really means this is something that is going to be easy to do (and again, something that really doesn't matter at all for this trade deadline unless things go really badly).
Old 12-31-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Lol, good one. You’re going to tell me, a 30-year journalist, what the Associated Press does??!? I can assure you, they do not reprint anything. They are THE leading wire service. All of the content that says AP or Associated Press comes from their reporters. It’s a huge company. Look em up. You might learn something ... for once.
That’s bullshit and you know it. The trade was reported by the AP less than 5 minutes after it was announced.

Some stringer had as their job to monitor the NHL trade announcements. They picked up the announcement and reprinted it. No one interviewed the player, talked to the league or did any reporting. The stringer probably looked up and saw that Filppula had a NMC and added that they waived it.

We now have further evidence that the NMC wasn’t actually waived as it was still in effect a year later.
How to know if you are a patriot. 2004 - you eat freedom instead of French Fries. 2008 - you drive with a flag from your rear window. 2016 - you stand for the anthem. 2020- you sacrifice your mother for the economy.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-31-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I've actually seen it said it is up to the team that is trading for the player as to if they retain the NMC/NTC after the trade. I've tried quick-searching the CBA and I can't find anything covering that. Honestly even if Filppula waives, he waived from a non-playoff team, and I don't think 1 example really means this is something that is going to be easy to do (and again, something that really doesn't matter at all for this trade deadline unless things go really badly).
According to CapFriendly, you are correct, the NMC can travel with the contract. This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent). But that wouldn’t involve the player actually waiving his NMC.

And you are also correct that players waive to go from non contending teams to go to contending teams many times, especially with expiring contracts. I asked for a player’s name that went from a contending team in a low tax state team.

For example if the team is out of the playoffs, Killorn, who will have a limited NTC after 7/1 might agree to a trade to a contending team knowing that he will be moved this summer anyway.
How to know if you are a patriot. 2004 - you eat freedom instead of French Fries. 2008 - you drive with a flag from your rear window. 2016 - you stand for the anthem. 2020- you sacrifice your mother for the economy.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-31-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:16 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
That’s bullshit and you know it. The trade was reported by the AP less than 5 minutes after it was announced.

Some stringer had as their job to monitor the NHL trade announcements. They picked up the announcement and reprinted it. No one interviewed the player, talked to the league or did any reporting. The stringer probably looked up and saw that Filppula had a NMC and added that they waived it.

We now have further evidence that the NMC wasn’t actually waived as it was still in effect a year later.
Covered some sporting events have you? Keep telling all of us what the AP was doing that day ... so long as it suits your narrative, you lovely man, you.

Last edited by Bolthed; 12-31-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:56 PM
Cooper's Law

I thought the AP had agreements with a large portion of news outlets that allow them (AP) to repost stories from local news outlets and in return allow those local news outlets the ability to use AP articles in their publications.

It's not like the AP has individual reporters embedded with every sports team right? It seems perfectly reasonable that the source the AP used for the Filppula trade could have inaccurately reported the specifics in regards to the NMC.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:11 PM
Cooper's Law

Actually I might be wrong on that last post. Apparently there is a writer covering the Lightning for the AP. A guy named Mark Didtler (since 2007).

https://www.thephwa.com/page/show/11...y-phwa-chapter

https://apnews.com/TampaBayLightning
Old 12-31-2019, 06:24 PM

He covers sports for the AP. He has stories about college football, baseball and hockey.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:28 PM

Evan Rodrigues has requested a trade out of Buffalo. Rodrigues is scratched tonight against the Bolts.

That's along with Zach Bogosian, who requested a trade earlier in the month.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
Evan Rodrigues has requested a trade out of Buffalo. Rodrigues is scratched tonight against the Bolts.

That's along with Zach Bogosian, who requested a trade earlier in the month.
Ouch...WTF is going on in Buffalo??
Old 12-31-2019, 07:10 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I thought the AP had agreements with a large portion of news outlets that allow them (AP) to repost stories from local news outlets and in return allow those local news outlets the ability to use AP articles in their publications.

It's not like the AP has individual reporters embedded with every sports team right? It seems perfectly reasonable that the source the AP used for the Filppula trade could have inaccurately reported the specifics in regards to the NMC.
Their approach is typically to hire metro or regional reporters. So one guy does everything in Tampa Bay. I used to know our guy, Fred Goodall. Good all-around guy we said.

The AP is a PROVIDER of wire reports. Newspapers, TV stations and other websites contract with them to provide content. Never in reverse.