BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Cooper's Law

Offseason to-do list after drinking champagne from the Cup

1. Trade Killer (sorry, WW, it’s looks like it has to be done. But be glad he’ll be coming off a career year).

2. Make a deal with Seattle to take Johnson, McDonough or Gourde. This will likely cost us another asset like a pick and/or prospect.

3. Sign all the RFAs to bridge deals. We might be able to make it work if the cap goes up a bit more than expected. Otherwise, yeah, we have to identify our core and our future core.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:19 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Unfortunately #2 doesn’t happen until 2021.

If my memory is correct, the TJ and Palat deals were made when it looked like Seattle was going to enter the league in 2020. Had that occurred, trading Killorn and losing a large contract to expansion ended our problem. This only became a real issue when expansion was delayed a year.

It also only became an issue because Cirelli turned out to be more than a typical third round pick and Cernak performed better than expectations.

Of course, those are nice problems to have.
How to know if you are a patriot. 2004 - you eat freedom instead of French Fries. 2008 - you drive with a flag from your rear window. 2016 - you stand for the anthem. 2020- you sacrifice your mother for the economy.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Any hopes to keep Shattenkirk and all of these other complimentary players around went away when we extended Vasy to 9.5 AAV. My hope now is to keep Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak.
Joe Smith has an article up today and Shattenkirk has stated Tampa is his, and his wife's, first choice. He told Joe he wants to resign here. He and his wife love it here.

Smith writes that he currently is making 1.75 mil, and is getting 1.433 mil from the Rangers. That is 3.18 mil. Smith writes thinks he can be had on a 2-3 year deal for 2.5-3.0 mil thus giving him what the Rangers gave him in his last contract when you count in the Ranger buy out. You get to the 2.5+ mil by using Rutta's contract money of 1.3 mil.

You just never know until you try.

Last edited by WaiverWire; 02-19-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Joe Smith has an article up today and Shattenkirk has stated Tampa is his, and his wife's, first choice. He told Joe he wants to resign here. He and his wife love it here.

He has to say that. He can’t say, “I can’t wait to cash in next year.“

But let’s assume it’s true and he wants to stay. But after trading Paquette and Killorn, if the cap goes up $2 million and using Derek ‘s very optimistic figures, we are still more than a million over with a squad of only 21.

There just isn’t the cap space to keep him. Not and keep the 3 RFAs.
How to know if you are a patriot. 2004 - you eat freedom instead of French Fries. 2008 - you drive with a flag from your rear window. 2016 - you stand for the anthem. 2020- you sacrifice your mother for the economy.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
He has to say that. He can’t say, “I can’t wait to cash in next year.“

But let’s assume it’s true and he wants to stay. But after trading Paquette and Killorn, if the cap goes up $2 million and using Derek ‘s very optimistic figures, we are still more than a million over with a squad of only 21.

There just isn’t the cap space to keep him. Not and keep the 3 RFAs.
I know you don't think it's possible to get a guy to waive a NTC, but I think that is one of the things they may have to really make work this offseason somehow.

I will say, an alternative is I could see them trading off Cernak. I think Cirelli is too important for a 2nd line, and Sergachev is really starting to trend towards elite, and that really leaves Cernak.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:07 AM
Cooper's Law

Nope nope nope.

Gotta find a way to keep all three. They are each critical.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I know you don't think it's possible to get a guy to waive a NTC, but I think that is one of the things they may have to really make work this offseason somehow.

I will say, an alternative is I could see them trading off Cernak. I think Cirelli is too important for a 2nd line, and Sergachev is really starting to trend towards elite, and that really leaves Cernak.
Cernak should be cheap, and provides tremendous value. Definitely not who I'd target as a cap casualty.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post

Smith writes that he currently is making 1.75 mil, and is getting 1.433 mil from the Rangers. That is 3.18 mil. Smith writes thinks he can be had on a 2-3 year deal for 2.5-3.0 mil thus giving him what the Rangers gave him in his last contract when you count in the Ranger buy out. You get to the 2.5+ mil by using Rutta's contract money of 1.3 mil.

That's great news, but I don't think we have even that unless we are asking guys to waive their NTC's.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Cernak should be cheap, and provides tremendous value. Definitely not who I'd target as a cap casualty.
It depends what cheap is. And for the record, I'm not stating I would trade him if at all possible. I'm more looking at the numbers and trying to figure things out. The bottom line is we will have an estimated $8 million dollars in cap space (if we assume a raise of $1.5-2 mil) with 9 forwards and 3 dmen signed. You trade Killorn, you are now at $12 mil (and are now at 8 forwards). And legit the only players without NTC are Point, Kuch, Coleman, and Paquette.

If you get Cirelli and Sergachev for $8 mil total, you now have $4 mil left with Cernak still needing a contract along with needing 3 more forwards and another dman (or 2 if you don't sign Cernak). So if Cernak wants say $3 mil, what are your options? You need 4 more players and have $1 mil. Even if you trade off Paquette, you now are looking at $2.6 for 4 players. Oh and don't forget Stephens will need a contract if you want him to step in, and he is right now at $833,333. And all this is assuming Cernak goes to $3 mil. Now maybe we luck out and the cap goes up more, and I'm not a "No NTC will ever be traded" guy. But my point is that there is a very possible scenario where we have to consider trading off one of the RFAs.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:32 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

After researching Coleman and watching a couple interviews, I am pretty stoked about this trade.
Many of you recall last season I wanted to aquire Sean Kuraly from Boston and Coleman likely exceeds those expectations I had for Kuraly.

Gritty to the point of getting under your skin, works hard with energy, shoots lots of pucks on net and as a result pots 20 or more per year and apparently loves the penalty kill.
Like it.

One personal situation he has sounds like his wife is due with child soon, so between packing up and moving to a new city before that happens has to be concerning to the Colemans. Hope the Lightning has his back on that personal side to make their transition to Tampa a positive one.

Last edited by gphockey; 02-20-2020 at 02:37 PM.