BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
No, we absolutely do not have to trade Blake Coleman. JBB will trade Killorn, whose value is thankfully at its peak, and hopefully trade Johnson by gently threatening (persuading) with a buyout or a demotion. That should just about solve our cap issues and make room for either Bogosian or Shattenkirk (whoever is cheaper ... probably Bogo, who I prefer anyway).

Hopefully they’ll shower TJ with praise and gratitude (maybe give him some parting gift$) for his good, long run with the Lightning and then hug it out and ask him to be a good soldier and accept a salary dump trade to someplace like Arizona, where he’ll be penciled onto a scoring line.

It just makes sense. JBB is not going to disrupt the core, and it’s safe and smart and logical to assume he knows the 3 RFAs are critical to the future.

Getting rid of Coleman or Goodrow would be detrimental to next years team. There is no trade return worth what those two bring on the ice, considering that we need youngish, inexpensive, legitimate NHLers more than we need draft picks or prospects. JBB traded for those two guys specifically because they are locked in well below market for the 20-21 season as well as the run we just completed. Hell, one or both of them could easily play their way into an extension.

We are well set up for next season with the moves I’m suggesting. We probably expose or trade McDonagh to Seattle next summer. The biggest issue moving forward is the health of older core guys like Stamkos and Hedman, and whether or not this franchise can develop our young guys and prospects to replace guys like Killer and TJ and eventually McD. I think we’re well positioned to do just that and be a contender for a few more years (at least). Beyond that, we’ve got to draft well and maybe luck into a scoring line talent (maybe Barre-Boulet?).
The problem is, that doesn't solve it. If the cap raised like predicted, it would. If you figure $4 mil per RFA give or take, that leaves you $2.75 million, and you need 3 more forwards and 1 more dman just to have a full lineup.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Verhaege-Stamkos-Gourde
Goodrow-Cirelli-Coleman
Maroon-Stephens-Joseph/Volkov/Barre-Boulet
On the horizon: Colton, Raddysh, Katchouk

Hedman-Bogosian
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Shattenkirk/Schenn or a different UFA
Coburn
On the horizon: Foote

Last edited by Bolthed; 09-30-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Verhaege-Stamkos-Gourde
Goodrow-Cirelli-Coleman
Maroon-Stephens-Joseph/Volkov/Barre-Boulet
On the horizon: Colton, Raddysh, Katchouk

Hedman-Bogosian
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Shattenkirk/Schenn or a different UFA
Coburn
On the horizon: Foote
How are you getting there with salaries?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:51 PM

This is more possible than you might think, given our history of team-friendly deals and bridge contracts. My only real concern is Sergachev getting an offer sheet. But we went through that last summer with Point, remember? There were rumors he had gotten an offer sheet and rumors that he refused to even consider it. So why should we worry that Sergachev would be any different? Point is one of the best forwards on earth, and he signed for a fraction of Marner’s deal. I’m really not worried about the RFAs. Cirelli is still a third-line, defensive forward. He teased with some glimpses of offense during the regular season, but he won’t have much leverage with the depth chart showing him on the third line. Cernak is a defensive defenseman, and those guys don’t make much as RFAs either.

Honestly, the bigger issue is keeping our UFAs, and coming off of a Stanley Cup win is the best time to get everyone together and sell them on the idea of staying together for one more year. Clearly, Hedman and Stamkos set the tone with their below-market contracts. Maybe Shattenkirk surprises us and stays for one more kick at the can. Maybe (actually it’s likely) Bogosian won’t get big offers considering his injury history and the fact that he’s just a veteran defensive dman now. Hell, we might even keep my boy Schenn if there’s a way to trade Coburn.

We are set up beautifully.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Maroon should absolutely re-sign. Where is he getting a better situation? Winning the Cup makes it a lot easier for guys to consider taking less money ... both to come here or to stay.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Maroon should absolutely re-sign. Where is he getting a better situation? Winning the Cup makes it a lot easier for guys to consider taking less money ... both to come here or to stay.
Absolutley.

Cup+best teammates+best owner+great coach+Tampa and its fans.
Pretty damn hard to beat, or even equal, that equation.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:13 PM

I’m going to move the stuff to the 2020 off-season thread where it belongs.Sorry, I didn’t see that when I posted this.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
Absolutley.

Cup+best teammates+best owner+great coach+Tampa and its fans.
Pretty damn hard to beat, or even equal, that equation.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Maroon chases a payday. He's got 2 cups, he already won with his hometown team, and if he gets a big offer, I would expect he takes it. He's never had a big deal.