BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #17791  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:51 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I keep telling you all... it's not deception. They're in on the con. They know he's lying. As long as "tha libruls are mad and losin'" they don't care. These people aren't victims, they're complicit.
They're complicit in voting for the R next to his name, but I'd wager the bulk of his impoverished base thought he was a brilliant businessman during the primaries.
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
  #17792  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
They're complicit in voting for the R next to his name, but I'd wager the bulk of his impoverished base thought he was a brilliant businessman during the primaries.
Some will just vote R no matter what. Some voted for Trump because he did campaign as a populist and called out the neo-liberal policies that fucked over the Rust Belt quite extensively. That's what he smacked Clinton around with, in WI, MI, and PA. What did Clinton talk about in those states? Nothing. She didn't bother campaigning there in the general.

So basically Trump capitalized on discontent with the elites in D.C. Clinton was painted, by herself and the opposition, as a corrupt elite. She did nothing to counter that. Her "basket of deplorables" comment did not help.

You wanna lock it up for the next 3 decades? Elect progressives to all levels of government and enact policies that make corporate citizens work to improve the lives of Americans as a whole. Fix campaign finance rules. Will there still be nazis/GOP, yes. They'll just be a regional power if the Democrats shifted back to an FDR style of left. And yes, there's absolutely no reason to separate any Republican politicians from White Nationalists. They're one and the same now.

Oh, yesterday Biden attended a fundraiser thrown for him by a republican state's attorney who was reprimanded for sexual harassment. Today, LA where attendees were served Langoustine tail and caviar. Hosted by Cynthia Telles. Who is Cynthia Telles? She's on the board for Kaiser Foundation Hospitals. She attracted her own protestors from the Healthcare Worker's Union. Trump will have a harder time painting Joe Biden as an elite (*narrator voice* "He is.") should it come to it. But he can easily show how corrupted he is and how his votes have done nothing but screw the working man over for decades. So, if Trump is still in office for the election, he only has to make it seem as though Joe is just as corrupt (*narrator voice* "He isn't."), but that won't be a tough task for Trump and his supporters.
__________________
The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Last edited by ZeykShade; 05-08-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17793  
Old 05-08-2019, 11:13 PM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 4,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Gonna have to disagree with this point. You'd effectively destroy any hopes of any business starting out or any innovative new businesses from getting up and running. Lots of nascent businesses will run losses recouping initial investment outlays for a very long time before they get into the black. I don't think that all profits should be allowed to be offshored and costs onshored so that it appears as if companies made less profit than they really did though.
I know what I said was abrupt and without any research; it was an emotional reaction more than anything. However, the tax system is still rigged for the haves vs. the have-nots, as with most things. The amount of other methods used to wipe out tax liability other than writing off losses I feel is more of a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #17794  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,134
Default Sanders and Ocasio-Cortez propose Usury Legislation

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/09/...k-legislation/

Fan-fucking-tastic idea.

The plan also would allow post offices to provide basic banking services. One of the better ideas I've ever heard for those who are unbanked. Being able to cash a paycheck without having to pay an enormous fee would be a massive quality of life improvement for millions of Americans.

Payday lenders would be put out of business, which is a great thing. Of course, their lobby is powerful and they own people like Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.
__________________
The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Last edited by ZeykShade; 05-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17795  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM
WaiverWire's Avatar
WaiverWire WaiverWire is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Riddle me this, folks...

If the Mueller Report really does prove "no collusion" and "no obstruction," why are Trump and his accomplice Barr fighting tooth and nail to make sure that the full, unredacted report, with the backing investigative documentation, never see the light of day?

Someone's scared.

P.S. Same thing re: Mnuchin and Trump's tax returns.
So you want the AG to break Federal Law? Just like you pete, if you don't like a law just ignore it.

Tell us why would not those that has the authority to read a less redacted version of the report never made the effort? Would it not had better wise for them to at least make an effort and go into the secure room and make an effort. Reports are that in Part II of the report only 6 lines have been redacted. With each redaction is a footnote for the redaction. Then after having made this effort and they still had questions then go to the courts and ask for the waiver. You see, many times you know that there is a strong chance that taking one step will not yield anything, but you take that step none the less as a step in the process and then move forward.

Under the law, that Congress created, the only thing that the AG can release is his finding about the report. The report itself is meant to be confidential. However the AG took the step to make the report his report, and redacted the parts that Congress, and the public, do not need.

And it really is not about the report and what is redacted. What Nadler wants is the several millions of evidence that is footnoted in the report so he can continue with an investigation, an investigation that Mueller stated had nothing to it.
__________________
Said Schiff: “I think there’s plenty of evidence of collusion or conspiracy in plain sight.”

Last edited by WaiverWire; 05-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17796  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:56 AM
WaiverWire's Avatar
WaiverWire WaiverWire is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
He’s a fraud - proven.

The New York Times has 11 years of iRS Records on Trump between 1985 and 1994. Trump lost $1.2 billion in those 11 years.

Trump appears to have lost more money than nearly any other individual taxpayer, according to the I.R.S. information on high earners — a publicly available database with taxpayers’ identifying details removed. In 1990 and 1991, his core businesses lost more than $250 million each year — more than double those of the nearest taxpayers in the sampling for those years.

Trump paid no income taxes for 8 of the 10 years.

Why are so many thinking this is news? This is old news. This was written by the media back when this all took place in real time. Trump even wrote books about this.

An piece by the Times wrote an article in October of 1995 calling Trump the "Comeback King".

Seems Trump's biggest mistake was The Taj Mahal Casino. Reports are he lost 3 billion. This was also at a time when many casinos were closing or had hit rough times.

Watch the video that is in the below link. Kind of blows the Times "Bombshell" out of the water.

https://pjmedia.com/video/trump-admi...-13-years-ago/



https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-bankruptcies/

So did he do anything illegal? Looks more like he, like many others, took advantage of our bankruptcy laws.
__________________
Said Schiff: “I think there’s plenty of evidence of collusion or conspiracy in plain sight.”
Reply With Quote
  #17797  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 PM
WaiverWire's Avatar
WaiverWire WaiverWire is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/09/...k-legislation/

Fan-fucking-tastic idea.

The plan also would allow post offices to provide basic banking services. One of the better ideas I've ever heard for those who are unbanked. Being able to cash a paycheck without having to pay an enormous fee would be a massive quality of life improvement for millions of Americans.

Payday lenders would be put out of business, which is a great thing. Of course, their lobby is powerful and they own people like Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.
You can thank Cash America International who are listed on the NYSE, and as you say are very powerful. If they were required to follow the laws of the states they are located in they would be classified as loan sharks and be out of business. Their pawnshops are allowed to charge a 25% interest rate every 30 days which is around 304% APR.

Dick Durbin fought them for years. The best he could do was get them to follow "Reg Z" and inform the consumer what their rate of interest was over a one year period .
__________________
Said Schiff: “I think there’s plenty of evidence of collusion or conspiracy in plain sight.”

Last edited by WaiverWire; 05-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17798  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:13 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,968
Default

Quote:
So you want the AG to break Federal Law?
The AG can petition the judge to release the grand jury materials at any time. He's refused to do so. Wonder why? (Because he's scared.)

And the Secretary of the Treasury HAS broken the federal law because Congress, by statute, is 100% entitled to see Trump's tax returns. 100% entitled by law.

BTW, it doesn't escape notice that you, in classic weasel fashion, haven't addressed the fact Mueller wrote a letter protesting how Barr's summary misrepresented the findings of his investigation or the letter that has now been signed by over 700 former prosecutors saying the evidence cited in the Mueller report is more than enough to indict Trump if it weren't for the DOJ's policy about not indicting a sitting POTUS.

Keep defending these clowns, though.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2018-2019: 45
Reply With Quote
  #17799  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,968
Default

Quote:
So did he do anything illegal? Looks more like he, like many others, took advantage of our bankruptcy laws.
Well, shit, maybe you should've actually read the story...

Quote:
In New York, the attorney general’s office is investigating the financing of several major Trump Organization projects; Deutsche Bank has already begun turning over documents. The state attorney general is also examining issues raised last year by The Times’s investigation, which revealed that much of the money Mr. Trump had received from his father came from his participation in dubious tax schemes, including instances of outright fraud.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ump-taxes.html

He lied to the public portraying himself as a successful billionaire businessman when in reality he was just a clown living on credit. And because he had filed bankruptcy so many times, it's unlikely the sources of credit in the past six years have been legitimate sources of capital. Shady money is likely propping up the Trump Organization.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2018-2019: 45
Reply With Quote
  #17800  
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 PM
nutznboltz's Avatar
nutznboltz nutznboltz is offline
Dan Ellis' Money Problems
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oldsmar F-L-A
Posts: 2,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/09/...k-legislation/

Fan-fucking-tastic idea.

The plan also would allow post offices to provide basic banking services. One of the better ideas I've ever heard for those who are unbanked. Being able to cash a paycheck without having to pay an enormous fee would be a massive quality of life improvement for millions of Americans.

Payday lenders would be put out of business, which is a great thing. Of course, their lobby is powerful and they own people like Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.
“Today’s loan sharks wear expensive suits and work on Wall Street, where they make hundreds of millions of dollars in total compensation by charging sky-high fees and usurious interest rates,” the statement said.

With Republicans in control of the Senate, the proposal has little chance of becoming law any time soon.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.