2011 Champion Cardinals #11 105 million
2012 Champion Giants #8 117 million
2013 Champion Red Sox #4 150 million
2014 Champion Giants #7 154 million
2015 Champion Royals #16 113 million
2016 Champion Cubs #14 116 million
2017 Champion Astros #18 114 million
2018 Champion Red Sox #1 235 million

This does not look like parity to me. Get's a lot worse when you increase the sample size to include all the teams up to the Yankees of the mid 90's
How does this look in other sports?
Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Sure, payroll imbalance is worse in baseball than in any other sport and payroll imbalance leads to competitive imbalance. My old Sports Econ text book (data until 2008) has the MLB third in competitive balance behind NFL (#1) and NHL (#2), and ahead of the NBA (#4).

I guess it would depend on how you decide parity in sports. Is it only based on championship winners, or does it also need to include playoff appearances/wins/etc...
That's true, it does depend on what you define as parity. We can't use the true definition of the word, because you don't want 100% balance across the league at all times. I think the # of championship winners is pretty much the only ground MLB has to stand on in the parity argument though, and that quickly goes away when you look at the stat I listed. A lot of haves can win, a lot of don't haves do not have a shot, and it's based pretty much on what they can afford to spend.

Including more teams into the playoffs would help.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
How does this look in other sports?
I'll look it up later after work, but real quick. The Canes are 31st, the Isles are 27th, the Av's are 24th, the Stars are 20th, the Jackets are 11th, the Bruins are 5th, the Blues are 4th, the Sharks are 3rd
Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 AM

It was difficult for me to find payrolls, since everything is indexed on the cap.
But according to Cap Friendly:

The Caps and Stars had the highest payrolls at just under $95 million
(The stars are paying $12 million to players on injured reserve)
The Devils spent $55 million on salaries

The Red Sox had an opening day payroll of $213 million
The Marlins payroll was $63 million
“Trump is ignorant of government, of history, of science, of philosophy, of art, incapable of expressing or recognizing subtlety or nuance, destitute of all decency, and wielding a vocabulary of seventy-seven words that is better called Jerkish than English.” Philip Roth

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-03-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Cooper's Law

Throw out the NBA. It’s an exception. The league is set up with parity in mind, but superstar players have found a loophole to be their own GMs and create superteams. They’ve got 13-man rosters. There’s really no way to compare that to MLB.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Including more teams into the playoffs would help.
I kind of like the exclusiveness of the MLB and NFL playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but something has always felt off about the NHL and NBA admitting over half of its teams into the playoffs.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
I kind of like the exclusiveness of the MLB and NFL playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but something has always felt off about the NHL and NBA admitting over half of its teams into the playoffs.
Plus baseball can't add any more teams or rounds without either risking playing into mid November and dealing with snow, or shortening the regular season back to 154 or 140 games or so and risk an uproar again from the purists.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Plus baseball can't add any more teams or rounds without either risking playing into mid November and dealing with snow, or shortening the regular season back to 154 or 140 games or so and risk an uproar again from the purists.
They have a pitch clock now...pretty sure the purists have thrown themselves from the tallest building they could find. I like the idea of shortened seasons
Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
The NHL has the best playoffs, I just wish there was a meaningful consequence to winning more in the regular season. The seeding and bracketing is retarded
Old 05-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
The NHL has the best playoffs, I just wish there was a meaningful consequence to winning more in the regular season. The seeding and bracketing is retarded
I wish there was meaningful consequences for bad officiating.
“Trump is ignorant of government, of history, of science, of philosophy, of art, incapable of expressing or recognizing subtlety or nuance, destitute of all decency, and wielding a vocabulary of seventy-seven words that is better called Jerkish than English.” Philip Roth