BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM
BP Staff

Default NHL Game Night: 10-11-18 Canucks at Lightning

Lightning see the script flipped on them from opening night.

VAN-4
TB-1

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed 2 goals on 26 shots for the loss. I've got no complaints about Vasiy's sharpness through two games.

First Period
16:36 TB Point (1), (Gourde, Coburn)

Second Period
NO SCORING

Third Period
11:07 VAN Pettersson (4), (Pouliot, Stecher)
12:17 VAN Boeser (1), (unassisted)
18:48 VAN Virtanen (2), (unassisted)(EN)
19:52 VAN Granlund (1), (Virtanen)(EN)

Mathieu Joseph was the game's third star.

The Lightning had a much better effort overall in this one relative to opening night as far as their possession game goes, but they paid the price for letting a team hang around. The urgency they showed at even strength early in the game subsided to some very complacent efforts on the power play and their failure to put the game away when they had chances to with the man advantage bit them. Vancouver gets a puck luck goal off a guy's leg and another goal off a Killorn turnover and a game that should've been a win evaporates into an ugly loss. It's a frustrating reversal of what happened against the Panthers.

Someone put an APB out for Stamkos and Kucherov. Stick their mugs on a milk carton. There's no excuse for players that talented to have done so little in the first two games of the season. Indeed, tonight I thought the bottom two lines were generally much better than the top two lines, and that's not a sustainable formula. Complacency is poison, and going through the motions, especially on the power play, is intolerable.

Joseph was -2 with 2 penalty minutes, 5 shots, and 1 hit in 13:53. He was all over the rink tonight and it feels like once he gets one point, the dam is going to break and he's going to get a handful pretty quickly thereafter.

Anthony Cirelli was -2 with 2 penalty minutes, 4 shots, and 1 hit in 14:01. He was also 50% on 14 draws. His line with Joseph was the best Lightning line tonight and unfortunately, it wasn't reflected in the ending stat line.

Adam Erne was -1 with 1 shot, 2 hits, and 1 blocked shot in 9:16. The fourth line was skating and hitting pretty well. Just couldn't get enough pucks into the blender in front of Nilsson to generate more scoring chances.

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...ucks-lightning
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Just got home and couldn't watch this one, but I did see the bulk of the game vs the Cats. I didn't want to look up 91's stats for that game, and not 86's either, because what I SAW with my own eyes bordered on putrid..and it appears from your analysis that tonight was a curtain call. I said last year, and many of you said before and after me, that 91 and 86 need to be split up..perhaps not permanently, but for a few games.

Yes, its only two games in, but JFC...what message does that send to the rest of them that those two are untouchable/unmoveable to other combos/lines??
Old 10-12-2018, 06:17 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

You can go all the way back to last year when we played against LA to find when things changed for Stamkos and Kucherov.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Cooper's Law

Saw Joseph played with Stamkos and Kucherov on the top line for some shifts during the preseason. Maybe that’s what they need – a hungry kid showing them up with pure determination.

We are the Sharks.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
We are the Sharks.
Or we could be the Capitals.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Saw Joseph played with Stamkos and Kucherov on the top line for some shifts during the preseason. Maybe that’s what they need – a hungry kid showing them up with pure determination.

We are the Sharks.
I’m all for Joseph on the top line as a pace pusher to force those two to skate harder.