BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Chainsaw Charlie

Is Halpern,going to Return? I read some where the knee was in worse shape than 1st thought,have not seen much reported on his rehab.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM
BP Staff

Still a rumor at this point, as far as I know.

It'd be a colossal loss if he were gone for good. He could very well be the glue that holds this team together, and the unofficial captain.

Speaking of captains... Do they give Vinny the C and put an A on Roberts?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Still a rumor at this point, as far as I know.

It'd be a colossal loss if he were gone for good. He could very well be the glue that holds this team together, and the unofficial captain.

Speaking of captains... Do they give Vinny the C and put an A on Roberts?
Vinny captain and Marty alternate seems obvious. Maybe the other A to Boyle if he stays? I'm guessing not Malone... when I think about the roster Roberts seems like a likely choice. Gritty vet. Wouldn't be the worst choice for A.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
OK I do realize that Craigs wheels are not the best, but who centers the 3rd line until Halpern returns? Certainly not Roberts, Ward- very doubtful not even as good as Craig, Can Jokinen center? R2 or Tarns? I like the fact we are talking about the bottom lines rather than the top 2 but who centers the 3rd until Halpern returns?
Jokinen can play center. Hall didn't play much center in Nashville, so he might be a wildcard. I see Hall as a 4th liner until Roberts goes down with an injury, then Hall steps in on the 3rd line. My guess is that since we aren't likely to see the return of Gratton, OK thinks that Hall can handle centering a 4th line.

For the bottom lines (w/o Halpern), I've been thinking along these lines:

Roberts-Jokinen-Ouellet
Craig/Tarnasky-Hall-Artyukhin

I posted this elsewhere, but I think rolling three lines and alternating Lecavalier and Stamkos centering a 4th line a few shifts a period might be an option until Halpern returns.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Dirt Liner

Article on Craig at BClocalnews.com.

Quote:
Craig likes the look of Lightning
By Dan Kinvig - Abbotsford News
Published: July 05, 2008 12:00 PM

Ryan Craig has spent the past two-plus seasons with the Tampa Bay Lightning, but he might need to wear a name tag when he reports for training camp in the fall.

That’s because the Lightning have undergone an extreme roster makeover in recent days, diving into the free agent pool with unmatched abandon at the behest of a new ownership group led by movie mogul Oren Koules and former NHLer Len Barrie. New arrivals via free agency include forwards Ryan Malone, Gary Roberts, Vaclav Prospal, Radim Vrbata and Adam Hall and goaltender Olaf Kolzig. Tampa Bay also agreed to terms with captain Vincent Lecavalier on a $77-million, nine-year extension, and plucked Ontario Hockey League phenom Steven Stamkos with the first overall pick in the NHL entry draft last month.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Cooper's Law

Default Agreed

I see your thinking there Tim and agree except for the bit about Roberts. i just do not think he has the wheels or health to play 3rd line minutes. He was used sparingly in Pitt and I would expect him to be used in the same manner here. If healthy Craig could take 3rd line minutes and maybe split them with any of the others on the 4th line depending on health and need. I would not mind seeing Tarns given a chance to play a bit more and get some 3rd line time along with Hall. In terms of R2 it really depends on his play, but putting him on the 3rd for awhile would open up the ice for Oullett and Jokinen. Unless of course, OK/B are "not done yet" and someone else is brought in.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Cooper's Law

Default Wyatt Smith?

Maybe they expect Wyatt Smith to center the 4th line until Halpern returns and then send him back down to Norfolk. they could have Jokinen center the 3rd line with Oullett and Craig/Roooooberts (urrgh) then W. Smith centering Tarns/R2 etc.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Maybe they expect Wyatt Smith to center the 4th line until Halpern returns and then send him back down to Norfolk. they could have Jokinen center the 3rd line with Oullett and Craig/Roooooberts (urrgh) then W. Smith centering Tarns/R2 etc.
Chad is of the opinion that Melrose like his 4th line centers big and physical. That would preclude Smith as a first choice. Following that line of thinking, the signing of Zenon Konopka would be the more likely 4th line center candidate if Craig doesn't work out, or if Melrose doesn't want to double shift Lecavalier.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Cooper's Law

Default double shift

I hope Barry does not want to double-shift( I almost left of the "f") Vinny that is what I disliked about Torts' coaching. You need your big guns refreshed and ready for crunch time, not so tired out that they cannot give you 100% in the 3rd period.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
I hope Barry does not want to double-shift( I almost left of the "f") Vinny that is what I disliked about Torts' coaching. You need your big guns refreshed and ready for crunch time, not so tired out that they cannot give you 100% in the 3rd period.
That and why have such a giant, physical 4th line if you're not going to send them out there to wear down opponents? Its silly.