BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 11-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
On paper it is but if you can't see that it is still in effect in many aspects of 'modern' life then I don't know what to tell you.
If direct institutional racism still existed you would be pointing out where, and not being vague about it. It doesn’t, pockets of individual acts of racism exist and we should acknowledge those and stand together to fight them when they occur.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 AM

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

When BP arguments spill over to The Hill
Old 11-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Cooper's Law

Default CAP is lying to you

https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org...ists-by-lying/
Old 11-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
If direct institutional racism still existed you would be pointing out where, and not being vague about it. It doesn’t, pockets of individual acts of racism exist and we should acknowledge those and stand together to fight them when they occur.
Quote:
Let's start with a definition of what institutional racism is. It's best to begin there so we know we're talking about the same thing.

It is defined as: "the pattern of social and political systems discriminating against a group of people based on race."

For you to state that "it doesn't" exist ignores easily visible and current evidence to the contrary. I want you to counter these facts and explain them by some other means.

1) 58% of the people in prisons in the United States are Black or Hispanic even though combined, they are only 1/4 of the U.S. Population. Source

2) 74 percent of black students and 80 percent of Latino students attend schools that are comprised of more than half minority students today. This means they aren't integrated like Brown v. Board of Education mandated. In fact, many schools today are MORE segregated than they were prior to the Brown decision.
Source

3) Discipline of students of color is vastly different than those of other students. Source

4) Asian American homebuyers are shown 20 percent fewer homes than White homebuyers. This is from a 2012 HUD report on racial bias in the housing market. It found that renters/homebuyers of color were shown far fewer homes than white renters and homebuyers. Source

5) African Americans are 12 times more likely to be convicted of drug-related crimes than White people. Source

6) We all know that wealth inequality is an issue in this country, but as Sanders calls it, "The disparity within the disparity" is glaringly obvious to anyone wanting to look. It is a legacy of institutional racism that persists to this day and is only exacerbated by new systems of racism. White families hold 90% of the wealth in the United States. Black & Latino Families? <5%.

I look forward to your explanation of these object facts. Please provide equivalent sourcing for your alternative explanations for these realities.

Of course, you could have just taken the 10 minutes to google it like I did before saying something as patently absurd as "Institutional racism doesn't exist." Note I didn't even bother to bring up the racist manner in which the death penalty is applied. This isn't a complete list. There are other examples. Start with those.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Let's start with a definition of what institutional racism is. It's best to begin there so we know we're talking about the same thing.

It is defined as: "the pattern of social and political systems discriminating against a group of people based on race."

For you to state that "it doesn't" exist ignores easily visible and current evidence to the contrary. I want you to counter these facts and explain them by some other means.

1) 58% of the people in prisons in the United States are Black or Hispanic even though combined, they are only 1/4 of the U.S. Population. Source

2) 74 percent of black students and 80 percent of Latino students attend schools that are comprised of more than half minority students today. This means they aren't integrated like Brown v. Board of Education mandated. In fact, many schools today are MORE segregated than they were prior to the Brown decision.
Source

3) Discipline of students of color is vastly different than those of other students. Source

4) Asian American homebuyers are shown 20 percent fewer homes than White homebuyers. This is from a 2012 HUD report on racial bias in the housing market. It found that renters/homebuyers of color were shown far fewer homes than white renters and homebuyers. Source

5) African Americans are 12 times more likely to be convicted of drug-related crimes than White people. Source

6) We all know that wealth inequality is an issue in this country, but as Sanders calls it, "The disparity within the disparity" is glaringly obvious to anyone wanting to look. It is a legacy of institutional racism that persists to this day and is only exacerbated by new systems of racism. White families hold 90% of the wealth in the United States. Black & Latino Families? <5%.

I look forward to your explanation of these object facts. Please provide equivalent sourcing for your alternative explanations for these realities.

Of course, you could have just taken the 10 minutes to google it like I did before saying something as patently absurd as "Institutional racism doesn't exist." Note I didn't even bother to bring up the racist manner in which the death penalty is applied. This isn't a complete list. There are other examples. Start with those.
You're misquoting me. I was very specific. Direct/intentional institutional racism, which is what the Jim Crow laws were, is dead and gone.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
You're misquoting me. I was very specific. Direct/intentional institutional racism, which is what the Jim Crow laws were, is dead and gone.
Your qualifier is unimportant in reality. It's a goalpost you setup that no one else recognizes as mattering.

The rolling back of the voting rights act by the SCOTUS and the subsequent Voter ID laws popping up in various red states is another example that fits my real definition of institutional racism and it fits your arbitrary and meaningless definition as well.

I'd also argue that the War on Drugs being applied how it is, is an example of direct and intentional institutional racism. Sentencing guidelines for crack vs. cocaine(thanks Biden).

On its face, your claim is preposterous. Particularly if I can dismantle it in 10-15 minutes.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Cooper's Law

Just found a tweet thread from Shahid Buttar, Nancy Pelosi's primary challenger, that basically sums up my arguments here.

https://twitter.com/Sheeyahshee/stat...17766772908032

You won't beat fascists with moderation. You'll only enable them as they see moderation as weakness. The GOP is, collectively, acting in bad faith. The sooner we treat them as such, the sooner we can get to saving this country and planet.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Your qualifier is unimportant in reality. It's a goalpost you setup that no one else recognizes as mattering.

The rolling back of the voting rights act by the SCOTUS and the subsequent Voter ID laws popping up in various red states is another example that fits my real definition of institutional racism and it fits your arbitrary and meaningless definition as well.

I'd also argue that the War on Drugs being applied how it is, is an example of direct and intentional institutional racism. Sentencing guidelines for crack vs. cocaine(thanks Biden).

On its face, your claim is preposterous. Particularly if I can dismantle it in 10-15 minutes.
This is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Your average person on the street knows that laws that overtly and directly singled out minorities are no longer a thing, and that ended with the Civil Rights Act and the abolishment of Jim Crow. If my qualifiers didn't make that clear, now I should be. Let me know if you want to argue that point, because if not then my issue was with the original poster who tried to marginalize that this happened. I'll concede whatever else you're trying to argue.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:08 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
This is being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Your average person on the street knows that laws that overtly and directly singled out minorities are no longer a thing, and that ended with the Civil Rights Act and the abolishment of Jim Crow. If my qualifiers didn't make that clear, now I should be. Let me know if you want to argue that point, because if not then my issue was with the original poster who tried to marginalize that this happened. I'll concede whatever else you're trying to argue.
Ah, ok, so in order to be considered Direct Institutional Racism, a government must drop the N-word in their legislation. Got it. (hyperbole on purpose)

Institutional Racism exists. It's codified in law. Those laws don't expressly use racial epithets in their texts. The New Jim Crow is an accepted reality. While the KKK isn't mass murdering folks under color of law, all of the things I mentioned and more are the result of real legislation that doesn't expressly target people on the basis of race or gender, the effects are undoubtedly racist. Thus, Direct Intentional Institutional Racism exists. Just because the racist have gotten more savvy in their language, doesn't mean that the bills they write and enforce aren't intentionally racist by design. I don't see the point in arguing vapid semantic points when clearly the intent of the_narrow_ways OP was to point out that systemic institutional racism still exists. They're right. It does.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Cooper's Law

Jeanine Anez, the Christo-fascist interim president of Bolivia, recently stated that she was going to start arresting the elected members of Evo's party (MAS). That's 2/3 of the governing chambers of the country.

And yet, only one candidate has mentioned Evo Morales or Bolivia. The Western Media can't be bothered to care that the interim president has declared that the police and military will not be held accountable for any harm or death they cause to indigenous people either.

Ah well. Fascists are better for business.