BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Default Shattenkirk

Just thinking how nice of an addition Shats is to this team and the potential he brings to this team come playoff time.

The questions are....is there a way to get him to stay after this year? What would it cost? Who has to go?

My initial thought is we can't keep him unless we move a few people and signing the RFAs will be difficult as it is....but, can't help but think Shattenkirk would be nice to bring back.

Maybe he's a better player on a one year deal then when he gets a longer deal. That scares me a bit too.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

We won’t be able to bring him back. Nothing really unexpected with Shattenkirk, this team has needed a righty offensive minded D for like a decade
Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Yeah pretty much 0%. He's going to get a big deal if he keeps this up. Signing Shats would cost Serge, and a couple 2nd tier forwards that have NTCs, which you would think would handcuff JBB.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Cooper's Law

I am curious to see what the long term plans are for Sergachev. Seems like they clearly prefer him playing on his natural side, but it's unlikely he will jump Hedman or McDonagh on the depth chart in the next couple seasons.

If they have decided that Sergachev is only going to play on the left side, it doesn't give us much organizational depth on the right side going forward.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I am curious to see what the long term plans are for Sergachev. Seems like they clearly prefer him playing on his natural side, but it's unlikely he will jump Hedman or McDonagh on the depth chart in the next couple seasons.

If they have decided that Sergachev is only going to play on the left side, it doesn't give us much organizational depth on the right side going forward.
I still think he gets dealt, possibly as early as this trade deadline, if the Bolts think he's not going to be able to play the right side.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Cooper's Law

I think it’d be insane to trade a talented young dman like Serg unless the return were irresistible. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I think it’d be insane to trade a talented young dman like Serg unless the return were irresistible. Just my 2 cents.
The problem is not that he isn't incredibly talented, but that he will be the third best left side defenseman on this team for the better part of a decade. He's not going to be better than Hedman, and I haven't seen anything that tells me he'll be better than McD. He's going to demand more than 3M a year sooner rather than later, but if you are looking at overall asset management, you can't pay three left side defenseman what they would have to pay the three, because the right side will be Cernak, probably Foote, and someone else.

This problem goes away if Serge learns to play the right side and can play top pair minutes with Hedman or McD. But if he doesn't I'd argue he provides better value if he could be dealt to shore up a weakness.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
The problem is not that he isn't incredibly talented, but that he will be the third best left side defenseman on this team for the better part of a decade. He's not going to be better than Hedman, and I haven't seen anything that tells me he'll be better than McD. He's going to demand more than 3M a year sooner rather than later, but if you are looking at overall asset management, you can't pay three left side defenseman what they would have to pay the three, because the right side will be Cernak, probably Foote, and someone else.

This problem goes away if Serge learns to play the right side and can play top pair minutes with Hedman or McD. But if he doesn't I'd argue he provides better value if he could be dealt to shore up a weakness.
Plus that pesky expansion draft way off in the distance