BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Kizman Kizman is offline
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 189
Default Shattenkirk

Just thinking how nice of an addition Shats is to this team and the potential he brings to this team come playoff time.

The questions are....is there a way to get him to stay after this year? What would it cost? Who has to go?

My initial thought is we can't keep him unless we move a few people and signing the RFAs will be difficult as it is....but, can't help but think Shattenkirk would be nice to bring back.

Maybe he's a better player on a one year deal then when he gets a longer deal. That scares me a bit too.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 AM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,561
Default

We won’t be able to bring him back. Nothing really unexpected with Shattenkirk, this team has needed a righty offensive minded D for like a decade
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is online now
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,767
Default

Yeah pretty much 0%. He's going to get a big deal if he keeps this up. Signing Shats would cost Serge, and a couple 2nd tier forwards that have NTCs, which you would think would handcuff JBB.
__________________
Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Derek28 Derek28 is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,079
Default

I am curious to see what the long term plans are for Sergachev. Seems like they clearly prefer him playing on his natural side, but it's unlikely he will jump Hedman or McDonagh on the depth chart in the next couple seasons.

If they have decided that Sergachev is only going to play on the left side, it doesn't give us much organizational depth on the right side going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is online now
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I am curious to see what the long term plans are for Sergachev. Seems like they clearly prefer him playing on his natural side, but it's unlikely he will jump Hedman or McDonagh on the depth chart in the next couple seasons.

If they have decided that Sergachev is only going to play on the left side, it doesn't give us much organizational depth on the right side going forward.
I still think he gets dealt, possibly as early as this trade deadline, if the Bolts think he's not going to be able to play the right side.
__________________
Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 4,783
Default

I think it’d be insane to trade a talented young dman like Serg unless the return were irresistible. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2019, 06:25 PM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is online now
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I think it’d be insane to trade a talented young dman like Serg unless the return were irresistible. Just my 2 cents.
The problem is not that he isn't incredibly talented, but that he will be the third best left side defenseman on this team for the better part of a decade. He's not going to be better than Hedman, and I haven't seen anything that tells me he'll be better than McD. He's going to demand more than 3M a year sooner rather than later, but if you are looking at overall asset management, you can't pay three left side defenseman what they would have to pay the three, because the right side will be Cernak, probably Foote, and someone else.

This problem goes away if Serge learns to play the right side and can play top pair minutes with Hedman or McD. But if he doesn't I'd argue he provides better value if he could be dealt to shore up a weakness.
__________________
Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
The problem is not that he isn't incredibly talented, but that he will be the third best left side defenseman on this team for the better part of a decade. He's not going to be better than Hedman, and I haven't seen anything that tells me he'll be better than McD. He's going to demand more than 3M a year sooner rather than later, but if you are looking at overall asset management, you can't pay three left side defenseman what they would have to pay the three, because the right side will be Cernak, probably Foote, and someone else.

This problem goes away if Serge learns to play the right side and can play top pair minutes with Hedman or McD. But if he doesn't I'd argue he provides better value if he could be dealt to shore up a weakness.
Plus that pesky expansion draft way off in the distance
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.