BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

No way in hell could she last as an NBA center. That being said, if she's talented enough, she should have the chance to play.

The only thing that gives me pause is Cuban admitting it would be a marketing ploy. If you're going to give Griner a chance, or any woman for that matter, have it be based on the merits as opposed to something gimmicky. He risks having it blow up in his face just as quickly; imagine the fuss that will be made if she comes in, doesn't perform too badly, and still gets cut.

People are already on radio with absurd comments about how NBA Development League players should then get the chance to play in the WNBA. Kwame Brown would still suck ass for the Sparks.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Come on guys. I doubt there is anyone on this site as far left as me, but this issue is about nothing but anatomy and corresponding physical strength. Even in sports like golf and bowling where there is no physical contact men and women do not compete. The most adamant feminist might claim that it is because men are afraid to lose to women, but that is not true.

If you disagree, post proof. Chess, poker, and billiards not included, less of sport than bowling.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Come on guys. I doubt there is anyone on this site as far left as me, but this issue is about nothing but anatomy and corresponding physical strength. Even in sports like golf and bowling where there is no physical contact men and women do not compete. The most adamant feminist might claim that it is because men are afraid to lose to women, but that is not true.

If you disagree, post proof. Chess, poker, and billiards not included, less of sport than bowling.
Nobody disagrees on that point. Where I draw exception is the idea that we need to draft rules that exclude anyone. If I want to spend hundreds of millions of my dollars fielding a team of physically inferior women, that is my choice.

Everyone deserves a shot. If a woman shows up to tryouts and is physically outmatched, she isn't making the team. No harm done. But to ban women from playing is saying that in the history of time there has and will never be a woman capable of playing at this level. Which is ludicrous.

If they want their leagues billed as featuring the top players in the world, you have to allow everyone in the world to make the team. Whether they actually make the team should be based solely on skill, not gender.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Cooper's Law

Just because she plays center in the college women's game doesn't mean that's where she would have to be in an NBA tryout scenario. She'd be a small forward. Problem is that is among the most challenging positions in all of sports. Making an NBA roster means you have a great ability to play both inside and outside, doing just about everything a basketball player can do -- shooting, posting up, passing, ball-handling, defense -- and doing it at a very high level. I say good luck.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
Everyone deserves a shot. If a woman shows up to tryouts and is physically outmatched, she isn't making the team. No harm done. But to ban women from playing is saying that in the history of time there has and will never be a woman capable of playing at this level. Which is ludicrous. If they want their leagues billed as featuring the top players in the world, you have to allow everyone in the world to make the team. Whether they actually make the team should be based solely on skill, not gender.
I agree w/ this, No. I'd take it a step further to pro hockey and football, specifically goaltender and kicker/punter. The rules governing those positions allow a highly talented player strong of body and mind to compete at an elite level without too much depending on an ability to withstand constant collisions and move large people around. No one can convince me that we won't, if we haven't already, come across females who can stop a puck and kick a ball with just as much accuracy and reliability as a similar-sized man. (OK, from a pure power standpoint the football may not fly quite as far, yet in the NFL there's one kicker and one punter who have the lowest numbers, and I'm just saying there's got to be a woman at some point who can equal or surpass those.)

Men's billiards being separate from women's makes no legitimate, rational sense whatsoever in the 21st century. That is pure marketing and old-school bias, and I predict it will change in our lifetime. There will be just one body of players vying for the championships in the various games, regardless of gonads.

Bowling, I dunno but I lean toward unisexing there too. Put it this way, I'm not exactly a musclehead, and so no strike I've ever rolled had anything to do with raw power blowing the pins out of the alley. It was just placement (mostly the lucky kind). There have to be women who can consistently find that 1-3 seam with just the right spin and bring a string of turkeys to the table regardless of not pulverizing the pins on impact. Finesse and technique over raw power. Of course muscle strength is an advantage too--and there are already tons of beefy babes who can wrist-wrestle men of similar weight under the table, so it's probably just a matter of time till bowlers unite

Last edited by Top Shelf; 05-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.