BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Honestly I fail to see what our big change in play has been. We have worse possession stats, and are giving up 1 less high end chance a game. We have less hits per game this year, less SAT%, and less blocked shots. Aside from the addition of Maroon, I just don't see this philosophical change.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Is Jon Cooper to blame for the Lightning’s place in the standings?

Quote:
This visual highlights the problem clearly. In past seasons, the Lightning have mostly gotten average or slightly above average goaltending on the whole. They’ve paired that average goaltending with exceptional shooting to pump up their goal differential.

The difference this year is that they haven’t gotten the average goaltending. The way the two lines diverge is telling. The shooters are still doing their job as well as they have during most of this run as one of the top teams in the league but the goalies have not held up their end of the deal. They’ve been well below average to this point in the season, which has deflated the goal differential and thus, is the reason the Lightning sit in a much different place in the standings despite playing largely the same way in terms of shot metrics.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

86's talent AND immaturity are off the charts. He's lucky they didn't give him a 2 for unsportsman for breaking the stick (Yeah, that was a CLASSIC two-hander, but.....) Vasi is def off in the head. Can't let a deflection off your D get you sideways.

But I'll say this, I can't think of a significant play where 91 created or took advantage of a chance. He was largely invisible, except for where he lost a player that scored in the slot!! He was a -3, along with TJ.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Kuch did not break that stick. The slash broke it and he finished it off, which is why he was so mad about it.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM
BP Staff

Is Jon Cooper to "blame" for the situation? I would argue he's not to "blame," but...

This is Jon's seventh full season coaching the team. The old SF 49ers coach Bill Walsh once said it was his opinion the shelf life of any coach, at least at his sport, was ~7 or so before things get stale. And, I absolutely think you can make the argument things have gotten stale in the Lightning organization and that people are too comfortable/too set in their ways.

If I were JBB, the simplest and least invasive way to break up the staleness, and I said this at the end of the Columbus playoff debacle, would be to change the coach.

But, you know, maybe this is a premature discussion. Maybe the guys go get 7 or 8 of the next 8 points and we're not well behind the playoff curve at the 30 game mark.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I'm pretty sure Kuch did not break that stick. The slash broke it and he finished it off, which is why he was so mad about it.
Yeah, I knew that..it was the secondary break I was talking about. That def could have been 2 minutes--ref prob said to himself, "well I didn't call the slash so I won't call him for UC"
Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Dave Mishkin's Larynx

Think all of our expectations a bit high. Are there aggravating turnovers and breakdowns every nite....YES. Has goaltending been below average....YES. Inconsistency....YES. Somewhat ambivalent coaching staff...YES.
56 games left with lots of time to get on track.
Donít see Cooper going anywhere.
Donít see Vasilevskiy playing this poorly all year.
Very good physical 4th line.
Tied for second in goals per game.
3rd in PP%.
Adversity.
We are all disappointed for sure. Very hard to be patient. Vinik is obviously very patient.
Not making playoffs IMO would be only scenario that would lead to any major changes. Better to keep the faith.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Old 12-07-2019, 01:46 PM
Cooper's Law

So people pointing out how bad Vasy is playing this year are correct. It's just important to realize how big a factor he was last year as well. He covered up so much for this team.

Hard to believe he plays at this level for an entire season. It's possible, but unlikely.

In the meantime, it'd be nice if the team could adapt and lock it down in front of him. Enough of the bullshit NZ and blue line turnovers making other teams fast.
I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice... - MLK
Old 12-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
So people pointing out how bad Vasy is playing this year are correct. It's just important to realize how big a factor he was last year as well. He covered up so much for this team.

Hard to believe he plays at this level for an entire season. It's possible, but unlikely.

In the meantime, it'd be nice if the team could adapt and lock it down in front of him. Enough of the bullshit NZ and blue line turnovers making other teams fast.
Exactly. Adjust and get him some confidence. I'm not sure hes over last year. He needs some support to get his confidence back. Im shocked the emotion he has shown in games, something I never think of him ever showing.