BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 12-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
It's easy to blame Cooper, but we win this game with average goaltending. Team defense has to improve, but Vasy isn't even making saves that average goaltenders make on a regular basis.
This isn't a one game problem.
This team is finding ways to lose.
You can't fire the roster. Half the team you couldn't trade even if you wanted.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I donít think you terminate the guy with the winningest percentage in the league right now. He was a genius when Vasilevskiy was the best goalie in the league, now he is an idiot because Vasi is letting in beach balls. To those who said ďletís go back to the old styleĒ the ďold styleĒ Was only successful because Vasi bailed them out on those odd man rushes. Our record wouldnít be any better the way Vasi is playing, regardless of style.

However, none of us know whatís going on in the locker room. If JBB decides that he has to make a coaching change, Iím giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The question would be, who is out there. Last week, I might have said Babcock, but with what has come out this week, I donít think Vinik would touch him with a 10 foot pole. (In the Chat, I said Peters, but I meant to say Babcock).
Old 12-05-2019, 10:40 PM

Should try and give McElhinney a run of starts at this point until Vasi gets his head screwed on straight.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Cooper's Law

Vasi has had a save percentage under .900 in 9 of his 19 starts this season. He had 16 games last season where he had a save percentage under .900 in 53 starts.

You have to think that he will get back on track eventually. Hopefully.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I don’t think you terminate the guy with the winningest percentage in the league right now. He was a genius when Vasilevskiy was the best goalie in the league, now he is an idiot because Vasi is letting in beach balls. To those who said “let’s go back to the old style” the “old style” Was only successful because Vasi bailed them out on those odd man rushes. Our record wouldn’t be any better the way Vasi is playing, regardless of style.

However, none of us know what’s going on in the locker room. If JBB decides that he has to make a coaching change, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The question would be, who is out there. Last week, I might have said Babcock, but with what has come out this week, I don’t think Vinik would touch him with a 10 foot pole. (In the Chat, I said Peters, but I meant to say Babcock).
Not the first time it's been done. I think the real issue with cutting him loose is that they just extended him. Not a great position to be in.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

The whole situation is baffling. The talent is there, their effort last night was there, we just look like a young weak minded team. They were clearly the better team last except the 3 minutes of mental lapses.

Whether they just extended him or not isnít the point. Whatís worse is seeing there is a huge problem and not addressing it. Iím not in the fire him yet club because for one there is no one to replace him. With all of the stuff that came out about Babcock he is a forever distant choice. It also helps that our division is utter trash. The fact that we have lost 4of5 and still a win away (with 3 less GP) is giving this team a lifeline.

Vasy is a huge problem more than any other part of our team. 2 graphics came out with the analytics of the quality vs quantity the team is giving up and we are actually in the upper portion of the league. Itís as if he is only best when he sees 30+ shots a night. 2 of the goals he gave up last night was just lazy. The final minute period was just standing there assuming it wasnít going to matter and the funny bounce went in for the easiest goal of the season. Get your head out of your ass and get back to the basics of positioning.

Columbus broke the lightning, and Vinik needs a team psychiatrist.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobo_24 View Post
Whether they just extended him or not isnít the point.
I disagree. Having signed that extension should prevent JBB from canning him until the off season.

It's hard to tell your boss that the guy you just told him to pay a bunch of money to needs to go.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:33 AM
Captain Poke Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
It's easy to blame Cooper, but we win this game with average goaltending. Team defense has to improve, but Vasy isn't even making saves that average goaltenders make on a regular basis.
Psst - 3 goals were basically empty netters with the casual "D" coverage everyone boasts that this team has.

This team is ready for the dumpster if you are going to keep the coach and staff in place. The rebuild starts. Sitting in our usual seats last night in a half empty stadium, no shows abound, I turned to my close friend and said I think we will need 6 goals to win and that was before the game.

I repeat Vasy is a junkyard right now but with 3 empty netters allowed by the "D" corp puck watching and waving the hallelujah sticks thru the air it's all that we can expect.

If your not going to blow the team up and start a rebuild you only have one single option. Fire the coach and bring in the bar keeper to keep the booze flowing.

What's up with Kuch .... frustration is starting to set in, he's being banged on every single game whining to the zebra's all night long, breaking sticks and then his classic wtf moment with a pass to the nether land going to the other end where they once again lose coverage and voila empty net tap in from the side that Vasy should have had if only is was 8' wide with Trumps Wall in place.

D Structure is a set of building blocks with a solid base concept...... after x years of this staff we are still looking for the base D concept to be put in place. It's time to move on. The sellouts are coming to an end.......

Hoping for the reincarnation of a Big Dave, Daryl Sydor and Tim Taylor moment to get the boys back to playing hockey instead whatever that was last night and many nights since the end of time those 6 days last April.

Ok on to the next reincarnation of the 11/7 format woot woot woot followed up with the blah blah blah interview replays from 2012 - April 2019 about the shoulda, coulda, woulda's and let's do an "Everything is Beautiful Wave around the campfire".

Goodnight Bolts. C Ya come Somewhere Over the Rainbow......
Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Just gonna leave this here:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...in/4311301002/
Bolts are 1-4 since Cooper said we were ready to start winning again.

To your point DD: Cooper's the winningest coach in the league over his tenure (regular season, natch), buoyed no doubt by the record setting run last year (again: when the games didn't matter). It certainly isn't representative of what we've witnessed thus far this season.

The definition of insanity is changing nothing and expecting a different result. At some point the roster's underperformance has to be addressed. Maybe the most prudent course of action would be to wait until the new year, or perhaps until we've been mathmatically eliminated (which is the way we are trending BTW). Maybe we can take heart that STL was terrible at the beginning of last season, although they had a brand new goalie and didn't have the longest tenured coaching staff, so maybe that comparison isn't completely apt.

One game the D falls apart, the next Vasi looks awful, the next the scoring dries up. Finding ways to lose isn't a recipe for success, and that's as much on the coach as the roster.

IMO Coop is trying to correct bad habits he allowed to foment over the past few seasons, and that isn't easily done, especially by the guy who allowed them to creep in in the first place.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I disagree. Having signed that extension should prevent JBB from canning him until the off season.

It's hard to tell your boss that the guy you just told him to pay a bunch of money to needs to go.
Um sure you can. They addressed the size issue; we have a 4th line of bangers that is arguably near the top of the league 4th line wise. They addressed the PP puck movin defenseman and his leading the team in +/-. They resigned Point to favorable team deal. What in the offseason was a questionable move? They literally checked all the boxes that we needed based off last year. Again, im not calling for his head because you don't just quit your job when you dont have another lined up.

The 5on5 play from our "superstars" suck; they suck. When is the last time 86, 91, 21 scored a goal 5on5 that was a goalscorer goal? Name one? Okay maybe you can pick one out of that NYR game. We still rely heavily on the PP and everyone and God knows they dont get called in the playoffs. They maybe need to go back to shooting in practice because they arent hitting the net. And before you say we scored 4 last night; 3 of them were softer than charmin. Joseph, Johnson, and Vasy are the anchor to our team right now. Call up Volkov, call up anyone that can grind in the corners because they would be equivalent at worst.

The only saving grace is that we are literally 1-Win from 2nd place in our Division. With about 2-3 games in hand on all of the teams above us. It is a miracle but they aren't drowning yet.