BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #20311  
Old 11-23-2019, 06:39 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Should also give credit to the absolutely crappy choices offered.
As Jim Carrey said in "Liar Liar", "DING! DING! DING! What do we have for her Johnny?"

If you carry this line of thought out some, you start to see why we have such crappy choices. Bet we find Boomers with their fingers in that pie as well.
__________________
I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice... - MLK

Last edited by ZeykShade; 11-23-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20312  
Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 9,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Should also give credit to the absolutely crappy choices offered.
Because Nixon / Humphrey in 1968 was so much better.

Excuses after excuses.
__________________
“You can’t promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing off corrupt people.” George Kent
Reply With Quote
  #20313  
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Because Nixon / Humphrey in 1968 was so much better.

Excuses after excuses.
Cherry-pick much? LBJ surprise to not seek re-election in March of '68 after winning the nomination of the party? RFK was a choice, but was assassinated in June.

Tryin' to slip a cherry-picked example through when the best choice was murdered leaving Humphrey as the stand-in.
__________________
I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice... - MLK
Reply With Quote
  #20314  
Old 11-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 9,030
Default

LBJ didn’t win the party’s nomination. After winning New Hampshire as a write in, he announced that he would not seek the nomination.

RFK wasn’t the young people’s choice. Gene McCarthy was. Young people flocked to clean Gene much as the young went for Sanders. RFK was the choice of the New dealers. The establishment went for Humphrey. The young folks had a real problem with RFK because he was pulling support from Gene. The young people thought the establishment stole the election for HHH and the convention was a disaster. (Sound familiar)?

There was a real question whether the McCarthy kids would stay home, but they came out for HHH. Enough may have sat out to give the election to Nixon.

But it was very similar to 2016.

Oh and in 1972, the kids won and McGovern was the nominee. He was viewed as the radical socialist and got buried by Nixon. That’s the fear that I have in 2020.
__________________
“You can’t promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing off corrupt people.” George Kent

Last edited by Donnie D; 11-23-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20315  
Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,532
Default

There is literally no world in which fear of Trump is enough to turnout enough people to beat him in the proper states. You'll have the same diminution of the AA vote in WI, MI and PA. Particularly among young black voters.

So, if you think you can win with a Centrist, you're banking on scaring a rightfully disillusioned youth voting block into turning out based solely on Trump. That's far more terrifying to me than nominating a candidate who already has raised $74+ Million from more than 1 million individual donors giving more than 4 million donations. Not corrupted, not bought, most trusted on every issue the American public claims is important to them.

Nominate a centrist and win and the next fascist populist who comes along is going to be the real deal because a centrist won't change any of the conditions that produced Trump in the first place. Nominate a centrist and you'll have 2-3 generations of Americans simply check out of the process entirely and write it off even more than they have in the past. Can't just scare up votes. Have to give people a positive incentive to vote. Bill Clinton and Obama campaigned as populists. Clinton campaigned as a centrist. I disagree with much of their politics, but the centrist of those 3 got beat.
__________________
I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice... - MLK
Reply With Quote
  #20316  
Old 11-24-2019, 12:19 AM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,532
Default The Cancellation of Colin Kaepernick - Ta-Nehisi Coates

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/22/o...rnick-nfl.html

Some pretty damned valid points there and a perspective worth considering.
__________________
I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice... - MLK
Reply With Quote
  #20317  
Old 11-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Puckhead's Avatar
Puckhead Puckhead is offline
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,378
Default

I live in Reno. Kap was and is revered here for a great career at UNR. I thought the treatment he and his fellow NFL’ers got for their protests were totally un-American. But what I heard and read about this recent tryout was that Kap decided to move the tryout to ATL for a more public venue, and the NFL wanted a more private location. Fact is, the guy can still play, and his lack of offers is perplexing. In a league that has players guilty of multiple counts of sexual and other assaults, the “political” aspects of his being on the sidelines is ludicrous.
That said, the recent tryout could have been handled much better.
__________________
Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #20318  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:20 AM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
I live in Reno. Kap was and is revered here for a great career at UNR. I thought the treatment he and his fellow NFL’ers got for their protests were totally un-American. But what I heard and read about this recent tryout was that Kap decided to move the tryout to ATL for a more public venue, and the NFL wanted a more private location. Fact is, the guy can still play, and his lack of offers is perplexing. In a league that has players guilty of multiple counts of sexual and other assaults, the “political” aspects of his being on the sidelines is ludicrous.
That said, the recent tryout could have been handled much better.
If Kaepernick were a better QB he would be playing. No team wants to invite the media circus for a fringe backup QB, that’s why a guy like Talib gets chances but a guy like Greg Hardy does not.
__________________
If no government system will guarantee a utopia, then our best choice is to look for the least exploitive one
Reply With Quote
  #20319  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Flycoon Flycoon is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
If Kaepernick were a better QB he would be playing. No team wants to invite the media circus for a fringe backup QB, that’s why a guy like Talib gets chances but a guy like Greg Hardy does not.
Disagree. Take a look around the league at some of the backup QBs. Josh McCown? Nathan Peterman? Connor Cook?

This is about the NFL ownership. These guys would be indistinguishable from Jim Jordan or Devin Nunes in a political discussion. Or a very few like the Glazers who just dont give a fuck about fielding the best possible team.
Reply With Quote
  #20320  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 17,006
Default

Kaep has long deserved another chance by now but that stunt he pulled with the tryout did not help and even soured me on him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.