BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Final thoughts as I prepare to leave Vegas. I was a bit disappointed that neither Stammer nor Cooper recognized the thousand or so fans that made the trip. The Letís go Lightning chant was pretty strong.

Second, when you are a visiting fan, you donít have to be an ass. A group left chanting weíre number 1 and telling the Vegas fans that their team wasnít nearly as good as the Lightning.

Just shut your mouth and be a good guest.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 PM

That's really disappointing considering we know more than most how annoying bad guests are. Was hoping we were above that.

I mean for crying out loud it's an expansion team, not someone to hate.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Final thoughts as I prepare to leave Vegas. I was a bit disappointed that neither Stammer nor Cooper recognized the thousand or so fans that made the trip. The Let’s go Lightning chant was pretty strong.

Second, when you are a visiting fan, you don’t have to be an ass. A group left chanting we’re number 1 and telling the Vegas fans that their team wasn’t nearly as good as the Lightning.

Just shut your mouth and be a good guest.
Yup. Well said Donnie. Most of us remember the busses of Panthers fans coming to the "Ice Palace" and acting totally boorish and drunkenly foolish. We certainly don't need that rep anywhere loyal fans go. Kudos to you for repping honorably. And yes, shame on the brass for not acknowledging your trip. Go figure..
Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
Not good...Hopefully, you'll get lucky at the slots/tables. That was a VERY disparaging loss. Knights are the real deal.
It was bad to lose but not disparaging IMHO. I chalk it up to a bunch of guys being sick plus the fluke of giving up FOUR PPG...I can't recall ever seeing a team give up 4 PPG in one game before. Maybe I have over the decades, but I don't remember it. Flukey.

And I wonder what the over/under is on when they finally drop the pretense and start calling the VEG team by their perfectly appropriate nickname, Vegas Knights.

How they could have missed such an obvious pun is a mystery...plus, Nevada is the Silver State. D'oh! LOL I don't know what it is about expansion teams out west, but the adjective thing never works out....it's the Seals, the Ducks, and the Knights.

[Those offended or triggered by words with which they may disagree are invited to skip this paragraph.] Boy do the Vegas Knights have some godawful hideously ugly uniforms...inaugural Coyotes, Thrashers, and '80s Canucks with the flying V have just been elbowed off the pinnacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
A group left chanting we’re number 1 and telling the Vegas fans that their team wasn’t nearly as good as the Lightning.
Pretty cheesy after a LOSS. Way to represent. smh
Old 12-24-2017, 10:02 AM

Don’t think so. When you walk in, the ushers all wish you a golden knight. During the opening, the crowd all counts down and when they hit zero, the lights go off and they yell “it’s Knight time.”

The opening is a 3 minutes story about how the evil opponent is coming, they have the golden knight in medieval garb has come to save them - it’s pretty impressive. The projector show on the ice, similar to what we have in the playoffs was used pregame.

They have a drum group march in and play throughout the game. The crowd is loud - really loud. It was louder there than during the playoffs in Tampa. They only have one chant “go Knights go”, but they must get everyone to participate.

It’s quite the experience.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-24-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:16 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Boy do the Vegas Knights have some godawful hideously ugly uniforms...inaugural Coyotes, Thrashers, and '80s Canucks with the flying V have just been elbowed off the pinnacle.
The gray color they're using as a primary on the uniforms did not look good. The color scheme reminded me of one of those ugly 80's video game boxes, like for an Atari 2600 or Commodore 64.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Yeah I've given it time and their look still hasn't grown on me, though the logo has.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Cooper's Law

After the Knights beat us a week ago I did a thorough examination of their roster, and here's what I came up with:

1. Their pro scouts did a helluva job. They correctly identified a boatload of fringe NHLers who were under-used, under-appreciated, or just ready for more minutes. They also identified a couple of prospects like Tuch whom they banked on being able to play right away.

2. Half of their roster is playing over their heads. I won't be surprised if half of their defensemen and at least two of their scoring forwards can't keep this up. I mean, great job by Gallant so far to squeeze every ounce of ability out of these guys, but their roster isn't that impressive. I wouldn't even be shocked if they hit a skid or two and fall back into the pack of playoff contenders. They're not a lock, despite their great start.

I'll also point out that they're 8-7-1 on the road, and I don't think their superlative home record is sustainable. A bunch of Eastern Conference teams have fallen victim to foolishly giving their players some "leisure" time in Vegas like the Bolts did, and I'll bet every one of those teams has heard the same rumors we did of players missing team activities. But the main reason they won't keep up their home dominance is that everyone has to take them seriously now. When they play the majority of their second-half home games against Western Conference playoff contenders, I doubt you'll see quite as many players slipping out for late-night gambling (or whatever) when they need those two points.

Not taking a thing away from what everyone in that organization has accomplished to this point, but again, I won't be surprised if they fall back and I won't even be shocked if they miss the playoffs.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Cooper's Law

I agree that Gallant is doing a good job with them.