BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboltz56 View Post
It seems to be an organization-wide rule that you cannot play a hot goaltender. Tokarski had a 26 save shutout for Norfolk the other night and they come back with Janus who has never played a pro game before, and they lose. I understand they are giving Janus playing time to see if they should offer a contract..but you have to ride a hot goaltender.
Janus played well though.
its' not like the guy gave up 6 goals..
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
This.

I think the responsibility of the big club is to create a successful farm organization. Winning creates a great environment to develop in. Throwing in a cold goaltender and then losing the game (I know I'm making it sound worse than it is) isn't going to be looked upon highly by the fans.
couldn't disagree more...how bout the forwards score some goals...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
As a Norfolk ADs fans I respectfully disagree with the notion winning doesn't matter in the minors. Yes it is a development league but I share Avery's view that instilling a winning attitude is an important part of the development process.

When the Hawks were here, they won in Norfolk. And now I can turn on a Hawks game and see a lot of players I used to see in Norfolk out there making positive contributions. And the Hawks are winning now. I think the two are definitely related.

With all due respect, i want Norfolk to win, too...

But you are talking like they put in some scrub.
he was the best goalie in last year's world juniors....he played well and how do you know Tok wouldn;t have had an off night..
1 goal isn;t gonna get it done...
You have three good goalies to watch in Norfolk...IMO, you should be happy with that...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
With all due respect, i want Norfolk to win, too...

But you are talking like they put in some scrub.
he was the best goalie in last year's world juniors....he played well and how do you know Tok wouldn;t have had an off night..
1 goal isn;t gonna get it done...
You have three good goalies to watch in Norfolk...IMO, you should be happy with that...
And three goalies makes for a terrible rotation and no real game development for any one of them if they arent given the chance to take the ball and run with it after strong performances for even another game. Whats the "pat on the back" hockey-wise for a guy getting a shutout and then sitting?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
couldn't disagree more...how bout the forwards score some goals...
What, exactly, are you disagreeing with? That the fans are unhappy with the loss? That it's a bad idea to sit a guy after he posts a shutout in his first start (and with plenty of time in-between to rest?)

Yeah it does come down to goal support, of course. As I said in the original post, I was making it sound a lot worse than it was.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that the farm team shouldn't try to win and that there aren't benefits to installing a winning attitude. My point is that the primary purpose of a farm team is to develop players. A top pitcher might be able to over power a class A team with just a fastball. But even though throwing nothing but fastballs may give them the best chance to win a minor league game, they are going to work on developing other pitches even if it means he gets hit and loses the game while learning. In hockey they are going to teach skills that a player will need to play in the NHL even though it may cost them short term by taking them out of their comfort zone.

A farm team might win more games playing a vet goalie that can't quite cut it in the NHL. But they are better off organizationally, for example, to play a Ramo than a Denis, even if, at the time, Denis might out perform a Ramo. (an illustration, no need to go and look up the records of each.)
“You don’t even have to commit a crime, to lose your job in this constitutional republic. Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.” Lindsey Graham
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Here's an alert for you all... ever think the organization is auditioning all three goalies to find out the best two? You don't think Janus might end up with a contract and Helenius finding himself loaned out to an ECHL team? At the very least they are trying to make the very important decision whether or not to return Janus to juniors.

It's really just a couple of games in October to make some personnel decisions for the rest of the year. But I guess its much more fun to run about with arms flaying because Tokarski didn't get a follow-up start after his second ever pro start. Carry on with that.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
What, exactly, are you disagreeing with? That the fans are unhappy with the loss? That it's a bad idea to sit a guy after he posts a shutout in his first start (and with plenty of time in-between to rest?)
that it is a ridiculous thing to start Janus....
Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

...and Tokarski lets in 5 tonight...
Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
...and tokarski lets in 5 tonight...
send him to juniors!!1111